Book of the New Sun

Why do people say this book takes multiple reads to understand? I feel like I picked up everything on my first read

the board is bloated with brainlets - what'd ya expect?

no you fucking didn't you liar

read it again and discover how much you missed

certain events, like the play, require context that you can't have at the time you first read it

Why is this the only fantasy series respected on this board, save for LOTR? What's special about it?

I reread the play and I still don't get it.

Am I a brainlet?

short summary if you fully understand it for someone who knows nothing of this title? Also if you recommend it.

Well sure there are minor things, like the play and every instance Severian dies but those aren't really that important in understanding the main points of the book

You can't summarize the story in short. There's just too many details

Sure, get angry at me for paying more attention than you. That's a rational response

the prose actually has some artistry to it. Unlike regular fantasy which is often bland and childish.

guy is in a trade union and doesn't do his job well but the boss can't fire him because you know, it's a union job
so they send him down to Milwaukee or something cause he can't stay at HQ and he basically hitchhikes there and meets a bunch of friends, primarily a group of carnies, on the way there
after hanging out in jail for a little bit he walks out and does one last play, and even though he never really knows what's going and keeps basically drowning in random ponds there book is told by him and he makes mentions throughout it about how he's currently president or something so you know it all works out in the end

its a book for teens that adult men who are faggots think is extremely detailed and deep, this board is full of manchildren which is why the sci-fi and fantasy, erotica and feels threads get massive numbers of replies and the phil, lit and discussion threads never break 100 replies unless /pol/ or women are involved. its really just indicative of how shallow Veeky Forums is and always has been

If the first Severian eventually went back in time to fuck with stuff then how does he end up being buried in a special tomb in the necropolis? Wouldn't he want to stay hidden?

name a better modern scifi series
if there's 20 threads about philo it's not bad to have one about scifi you shmuk

And yet here you are.

Tell us about each Severian then

So he's delusional or is this shit some literature version of undercover boss?

I have a few of questions for you, OP.
Is Severian's memory as perfect as he says?
Why did the claw only work in Dorcas in a lake full of people?
Would you say Urth is future Earth?

Needing to reread genre fiction.

I do believe his memory is perfect like he says. The inconsistencies are a result of him exaggerating his experiences or actual inconsistencies in reality

Because she was his grandmother

I thought it was a future Earth at first but im pretty sure it's just an Earth from another universal cycle that was similar to our own. Whether it happened before or after our universal cycle is impossible to know

Page 2 of Shadow:
>“Someone’s coming,” Roche whispered. Drotte jerked Eata out.
>(...) I would have hidden, but Roche held me, saying, “Wait, I see pikes.”
>(...) In the recesses of my mind we stand shivering there even now. Just as all that appears imperishable tends toward its own destruction, those moments that at the time seem the most fleeting recreate themselves—
>not only in my memory (which in the final accounting loses nothing)
>(...) The men had no armor, as I could soon see by the sickly yellow light of the lanterns; but they had pikes, as Drotte had said, and staves and hatchets.

demon prince series comes close

Yes, I'm well aware of the many contradictions. What is your point?