March Reading Thread

Commit to finishing some books by the end of this month.

By the end of March I plan to have finished Infinite Jest and Women and Men. I'm 200 pages into Infinite Jest.

Let's get some goals guys. Post pics if you got em.

Other urls found in this thread:

dzancbooks.org/our-books/women-and-men
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

All of John Green?

Thomas Hobbes-Leviathan

What made you go with that?

To get through a book this month would be nice. I've been going through somewhat of a dry spell recently.

When this happens I go with short, sub-200 page books. It gives me that dopamine laced "click" of finishing a book and usually getd me over the hump.

I would kill to read Don Quioxte for the first time again. Maybe the most purely entertaining classic I've ever read.

Yeah, I went out and bought myself a crime novel which is usually my cat-nip when it comes to getting over the hump.

About 40% through IJ, 30% done with SW Factor, And have like just started Euro Central

Slow reader here, starting with the Schmidt first I think.
W&M has been on my shelf for years, and unless I find an affordable Hinds Kidnap this month, it's next month's main book. Hopefully the reprint will mean more actual discussion on here about it.

How long do you typically spend reading a day?

Want to finish Moby Dick in the next few days, then read the second era Mistborn books, then Anna Karenina. That will probably be my March reading

I'm halfway through it now. Although this is a very solid translation, I have a feeling that I'm missing out on a lot of the meaning. So I'm also planning on reading it in Spanish.

I aim for reading at the startof the day and the end of the day. Try to read 20-40 pages per session. On a really busy day I will just squeeze in 20 pages before bed. If you make it a routine that you don't skip for like 90 days you will never miss another day(barring family tragedy).

I finished SW Bauer's Ancient History in February, going to finish the medievel volume this month, hopefully start the renessaissance this month too.

Mostly a non-fiction guy?

By the end of march:
1)crime and punishment re-read (you guys made me want to re-read it, i'm 100 pages off finishing it)
2)Aristotle - politics (i'm like 80 pages into it, stopped to have a break with crime and punishment)

3) Dubliners - Joyce (i have no idea what to expect from this, saw a lot of talk about it here)

Neuromancer - I'm somewhat enjoying this but after reading Gravity's Rainbow the prose seems so basic and sometimes clunky. The structure also reminds me of a video game.

Submission - I wanted to read something by Le Goblinne but all of his other books have naked ladies on the cover, so I guess this will do. I hope its not too /pol/ level.

Journey to the End of the Night - Seems comfy.

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller - Also seems comfy, but as well I want to read something pomo.

The Unnameable - Been reading the trilogy with gaps in between. Didn't like Molloy. Like Malone Dies a more. Hoping to like this best :)

No actually almost exclusively fiction. Was Veeky Forums major

I just don't get 'hooked' onto books anymore. I get really into reading while I'm doing it but I never get the urge to know what happens 'next', so I just don't bother with plot based stuff anymore, because I can't hold on to the plot threads. So now I only choose stuff if the actual sentence to sentence stuff is enjoyable to me, like I've been on Titus Groan for over a month but it's fine, I just open and try to visualise the imagery, go over sentences and let them play in my head.
Last book I went through in one sitting was Dirty Snow so if anyone's got anything like that please let me know.
March:
Finish titus
finish worm ouroboros
Shock of the New (non fic)
another reread tbd

Just as I mention Hind's Kidnap. Thanks Joe, lookin' good.

Pretty ambitious dessus, good luck on those thick tomes. Btw, is Women and Men as hard to read as Veeky Forums makes it out to be?
As for my goal, I wanna read Wilhelm Meister, Infinite Jest (as well), then complete Plato to resume with the greeks. If I get to tackle a bit of Aristotle as well I'd be more than happy. Should slightly more than 100 pages a day if I'm not wrong which isn't too much but enough to suggest how the flask gets filled drop by drop.

I'll finish Critique of Pure Reason.
Time to die

I read this in a week for a political theory course, you need to commit to more

Submission is great, it's more of a criticism of the pussified intellectual class than islam desu

Robert Rediger is kind of cool desu

Only as hard as Ancient History and PLUS, maybe not even as difficult, just long. Shearows and Faldoreams fucked me up forever.

Hard to tell what is that supposed to mean since I haven't read any of McElroy to this point

>"We remember what's going on. Already remember what's been here with us so long we had the time to see but now seem to have been waiting to remember. For who are we not to? Yet give ourselves permission also to forget."
from W&M seems like staple JM sentence structure from his 70s -80s books, maybe even his newer ones too. He's a hard writer to describe without comparisons to his other books.

Starter reading Infinite Jest in early February. I'm 700 pages in. Hopefully I'll be done in a week or 2 and then start reading some "classics" since I'm a newfag

Dostoevsky's Demons and Augustine's Confessions by the end, reading stories by Blanchot as well but doesn't matter when I finish that

I do this too, works like a charm

>Absalom, Absalom!
>Inherent Vice.
>Ulysses.
Almost 200 w/AA. Should finish. But, a bit of a slog.
Just started the last two. Have higher hopes of finishin IV more than U; enjoy both a lot.

OP here. No idea how difficult Women and Men is because I've yet to start it.

>Starter reading Infinite Jest in early February. I'm 700 pages in. Hopefully I'll be done in a week or 2 and then start reading some "classics" since I'm a newfag

If you haven't read it be sure to check out Don Quixote.

>intellectual class t

None to be found in islam?

ouh sounds very incoherent

nah

>Aristotle's Metaphysics
>Ovid's Metamorphoses
>In Search of Lost Time vol 2 electric boogaloo
That's the main plan, but I'm leaving a bit of room to read whatever happens to come up.

>Aristotle's Metaphysics

Is that slow going?

I haven't started, I'm downing a bit more Plato before I dive in, but I understand it's supposed to be.

I wanted to read the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeniad all this month, but I didn't make enough progress on my own novel and that takes up all my time.

If you're posting frog memes you should just give up on the novel.

I really could not get into Virgil's book.

I know Women and Men threads get posted with moderate frequency, but: if you're not just bait, please make a post with thoughts Women and Men when you finish it. I can't decide if I want to spring the $30 for the new Dzanc edition or not (leaning heavily toward no, but a solid rec could change my mind)

dubliner's is all the joyce you need unless you like puzzling through obtuse shit for fun.

Um, user it's either buy the $30 second or third printing, I forget which, or pay the $200 plus dollars for a first edition. Unless of course somehow a used books store or flea market has a first edition and has no idea what its worth.

or, you could buy the kindle edition for 10 bucks, or get it free from a variety of sources.

>ebooks
ISHYGDDT

And enjoy the fucked up formatting? Nah.

>they'd rather wait 10 years for a repub or waste 300 dollars on a book they only wish to read based on memery and rarity

>>you can't read a book unless it's really great
>>I can arbitrarily slap the "meme" modifier on any book I want and it automatically discredits it
I knew this was the board for pseuds, but damn.

Today I’ll finish the book I’m currently reading. I will start reading Catcher in the rye after that. Besides that, this month I want to read The Idiot, The Death of Ivan Ilych and start either War & Peace or The Magic Mountain

Chilly Scenes of Winter, Eeee Eee Eeee, Brothers Karamazov

>meme modifier on any book I want
It's literally a meme book. Extremely rare, expensive, has been continuously offered as a supreme book for patricians only on this site for years.
also, my god, you don't even care if the book is good, and you're willing to buy it for some 300 dollars, or wait an excessively long time for an author to die or stubbornly accept a new publishing, just to get a chance to read it? Why the hell wouldn't you want it to be at least great? I'm sorry, but your shit's all retarded.

Or just not buy it at all - I'm considering a Hobson's choice

Finishing Crime and Punishment right now soon. I'm going to see what this No Longer Human meme is all about. Catch 22 after that probably.

Huh, I got it from a library. Calm the fuck down.

You're projecting.

It's actually about to have a $25 reprint. Save your ice cream money bucko.

Dubliners by John Joyce

>reprint

dzancbooks.org/our-books/women-and-men

>some rando book publisher is proof
I fell for that once already last year.

Huh?

it was quite literally offered on pre-order at the barnes and noble website. I just don't believe that there's going to be a release. Last year the Dzanc website said it would release that year, and it didn't. I highly doubt it'll be any time soon. And that Twitter account is by no means official as far as I'm concerned. What separates that from any fan or charlatan just using the name?

Oh I dunno then.

Just check your library. Also you can do inter library loans.

I hope Kafka's short stories will gimme the minute of dopamine boost. I just bought his short collection yesterday.

His stories are actually super fun and readable. Think Murakami with less naval gazing.

tbdesu i have no idea what did he mean by that
am i a brain/lit/ or just lacking necessary context?

Dzanc is hardly a rando publisher, and they've put out other McElroy books. There've been a fuckton of delays, but that's because Joe's being real particular about line-editing the thing. It's on his website; it's on their website: it is coming... eventually.

You should take your time and put some fluff books between these two, honestly. They both start incredibly nebulously, but they come together in different ways; if, off the back of IJ, you jump straight into W&M, it's just going to be frustrating.

McElroy in general is pretty hard, but W&M isn't his hardest on the micro-level. It just happens to be his longest, and that length is what makes it seem more difficult.

Enjoy the boogaloo!; favorite volume of mine by far.

Parts of the story are narrated by the Colloidal Unconscious; a collective of angels that function like the choruses in ye olde Greek plays, and they provide more of a thematic backdrop to the 'action' of the book than any 'action' themselves. The corporeal events demythologize lines like these, and they themselves ground the events. It makes sense when you read the book, but seeing just either in isolation definitely looks like gobbledy-gook.

Looking forward to getting stuck into these. I've already started the Ted Chiang stories they're great. Aim is to finish Roadside Picnic, Stoner & Stories of Your Life and then read as many of the stories in the NYRB cosmic horror collection as time allows.

>Kafka
>Think Murakami with less naval gazing

Hmmm I'm not sure about that. You're right about the lack of naval gazing but is Kafka really similar to Murakami at all? I would say of Kafka "think Borges but more accessible".

Brothers Karamazov
Meditations on First Philosophy

You all have small ambitions... What I read in February:
Underworld - Don Delillo
Critique of Judgement - Immanuel Kant
The Comedians - Graham Greene
Kant’s Aesthetic - Mary McCloskey
The Inferno - Dante (several times)
The Thief and the Dogs - Naguib Mahfouz
Miramar- Naguib Mahfouz
Confessions of St Augustine
Crabwalk - Gunter Grass
Basic Writings of Bertrand Russel
The Tunnel - William Gass
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus - Ludwig Wittgenstein (several times + commentary)

This month gunning for more Wittgenstein and more fiction by women - Djuana Barnes and Gertrude Stein especially

>I get really into reading while I'm doing it but I never get the urge to know what happens 'next', so I just don't bother with plot based stuff anymore, because I can't hold on to the plot threads

In that case you might enjoy pic related. I finished it a few days ago. There's no plot as such, and the characters aren't even named. What you get is repetitive gorgeous descriptions of the spreading ice and the breakdown of the narrator's mind, which are surely related. Anna Kavan died months after writing the novel of a heroin overdose, read it in the context of what she was going through at the time, it makes an impact.

Definitely not to everyone's taste though, I'd only recommend it to people who are in it purely for the prose and imagery rather than the plot.

he has a character named Kafka so they're basically the same author

I don’t have a detailed plan.
Whenever I finish War and Peace, I intend on starting War and War.

Almost done with Lermontov’s A hero of our time.
Next I’ll pick either something Chinese or Japanese.

I plan to finish reading at least two of them. These are books I've picked up this year and haven't finished.
How do you guys go about reading? Do you have a specific time where you read or do you just start reading when you feel like it?

Fathers and Sons and The Temple of the Golden Pavilion are my chief aims for the month. I'd also like to read a few shorter works and maybe pick up 1Q84 again.

Pretty busy month for work so unfortunately long works aren't on my radar just yet.

>Do you have a specific time where you read or do you just start reading when you feel like it?

Generally I read right before bed on weeknights. Weekends I read whenever I have a nice period of quiet free time.

>Do you have a specific time where you read or do you just start reading when you feel like it?

Mostly on week day evenings after work. I'll go to a cafe that stays open late or a pub/bar that doesn't get too busy, drink and read for an hour or two.

>I'll go to a cafe that stays open late or a pub/bar that doesn't get too busy

Bleeding Edge - Thomas Pynchon
Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
Dubliners - James Joyce

WHAT

Why would you go somewhere and drink in order to read if you can stay at home which will help you to concentrate?

I concentrate better in places like I described where there is some background activity. Having a drink, either caffeinated or alcoholic depending on the book or your mood, makes the whole experience more pleasurable. Distractions are fewer in a public place like that because you're less tempted to, I don't know, have a shitposting session on Veeky Forums or spent time masturbating.

Often I will read at home for obvious reasons but it's not the ideal setting.

Looks like a fun time.

You may need medication.

It doesn't seem too outlandish to me.

It is.

>If on a Winter's Night a Traveller - Also seems comfy, but as well I want to read something pomo.
>want to read something pomo

What did you mean by this?

knob

It isnt

I'm going to try finishing these. Second time going through Dubliners; I bought it for someone and it's been a while, so I need to refresh my memory to discuss it with her properly. I dunno what I should read after I finish these, but if I stop loafing around I should be done in two weeks. Recommend me something. English, Spanish, German, French, or Italian only, though; I don't read translations and those are all the languages I can read well.

Stoner is such a good read, wish I could experience that again

It hits hard.

>t. young male with inferiority complex with something to prove

STop gaslighting, nigga

>reading in translation
fucking disgusting

I've read a minimum of 100 pages every day since Jan 1st. Planning to keep it up throughout the year. 19 books down so far.