Anybody have a copy of this?

Anybody have a copy of this?
Really interested in reading it but I want to hear if its not just a meme before I buy it since I can't find copies in other *ehem* places

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6noP00-Jw0w
theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/01/the-new-testament-a-translation-david-bentley-hart/546551/
christiancentury.org/review/books/new-testament-strange-words-david-bentley-hart
afkimel.wordpress.com/2018/01/16/a-reply-to-n-t-wright/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do you want to read this instead of one of the many popular translations approved by the church?

I don’t understand why the Christians chose the cross as their symbol. It’s supposed to be a means of torture and shows their god/messiah/founder/authority figures at his worst moment. Like wouldn’t a shepherd’s cane be more pleasant the remembering the countless people nailed to the cross by the Romans

The cross is the moment of victory and the fulfillment of all prophecy.

the cathars rejected the cross as a symbol for this reason.

I don't know desu. It reminds me of the sacrifice He made for us though.

Yeah, but even during the sacrifice you see him asking god why tf he’s torturing him. He did not feel love in that moment, and thus his faith in god died at that moment

Have you read the Lattimore translation

>Yeah, but even during the sacrifice you see him asking god why tf he’s torturing him. He did not feel love in that moment, and thus his faith in god died at that moment
I thought he was quoting psalm 22. I mean, the gospels make it pretty clear that he knew he was going to die, and in that time he would have known how they execute people.

Because it represents a asynchronous historical perspective which will help me understand the orthodox translations better

>I thought he was quoting psalm 22

That doesn't change the sentiment

It does if you understand psalm 22

You do realize he asked God to forgive them?

> my god why have you forsaken me?
That’s asking for reasons, not forgiveness

I mean in terms of the hopeless despair He felt was still very much there even if He was still quoting the scripture. It was not the first time Jesus showed doubt about his mission and He could have never been said to suffer as man does if He did not lose God himself

To those who aren't familiar David Bentley Hart is a turbo-autist Orthodox Christian who took up a project to translate the New Testament as literally as possible from the original Greek attempting to as little as possible derive any influence from dogma.
As a result the work is weird as shit but very historically enlightening. Debatable in its overall representation of the Word but unquestionably invaluable as a historical source for anyone who does not have decades of study in Aramaic and Ancient Greek

youtube.com/watch?v=6noP00-Jw0w

>theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/01/the-new-testament-a-translation-david-bentley-hart/546551/

>pleasant
Why should religion ever be pleasant? What good in this world ever occurred thanks to pleasantries? Religion is about embracing the difficult

>He could have never been said to suffer as man does if He did not lose God himself
That's a good point

Letting himself get crucified on a cross to take away the sins of the world was the most virtuous thing Christ did. It was the greatest love he could have shown for us. The cross represents his sacrifice, and victory over death. Jesus’ crucifixion is the most important part of the Gospels. Of course it’s used as a symbol for Christianity.

The most amazing thing to me is that people who had power and authority scorned Jesus as a lunatic or at best a insignificant revolutionary. Yet, this person is basically the ruler of universe. I mean think about walking past a local carpenter and imagine that this is the same person who created and is ruler of entire universe.

Its things like this that make me think God has a sense of humor. Its like he's playing 5d chess and half the moves are made not just to win but to make the opposition realize how stupid they are 5 steps later.

Yeah, I have an EPUB.
I've uploaded it here couples of times before too.

The scripture even says that one should treat all such strangers as if they may be God

Matthew 25:

‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,[f] you did it to me.’

Could you do a brother a solid

my.mixtape.moe/khwcah.epub

Pope's version is more interesting.

Bless you, son

>[e-celeb/intellectual/public figure] DESTROYS [insert ideology]

simply ebin

I know, his point was fascinating though

The man is a juggernaut

I was interested in reading it, but then I saw this review of it:
christiancentury.org/review/books/new-testament-strange-words-david-bentley-hart

It pretty much claims that Hart had not objectively translated the New Testament, but like others had translated it so that it would fit his theology.
Thoughts?

Its a rather trite declaration and impossible to falsify. What I like about Hart's project is that his main goal was to preserve the original voices of the text regardless of whether contradictions, incongruencies or straight up individual contingencies should up in the text. As a theological scholar there's also a strange dilemma since his theology is his reading of the text, to say his reading fits his theology is practically a tautological statement.

Hart responded to that article here by the way.
afkimel.wordpress.com/2018/01/16/a-reply-to-n-t-wright/