For better or worst, what book was a turning point in your life Veeky Forums?

For me it was Ready Player One. As bad as the book is for so many reasons. I had an enjoyable time reading it and it help me get back into reading after a very long drought.

I did say it had flaws

to the lighthouse, knocked my unprepared little socks off

Edith Hamilton's Mythology

Reading Dante's Divine Comedy in high school shifted me towards classical literature and philosophy from YA novels. Pretty big shift.

On the road changed my life

Since we're sharing embarassing "back into reading" first books... for me it was Name of the Wind

Did it turn u towards those types of classics more?

Don Quixote

Unironically Infinite Jest. I didn't really care about books before that.

bukowski got me back into reading

The Hobbit/LOTR and Harry Potter are what got me into reading.

1984 is what got me into "serious" literature.

Kind of low tier philosophy now but sent me down the right path.

Hyperion for basically the same reason

I'd read a lot of classic SF when I was a teenager but my interest in reading had dropped right of. i read that book which led to reading becoming a common part of my life again, which led to wasting hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours on books.

Ark, by Stephen Baxter. I had lost a lot of my interest in sci-fi and reading in general, but it made me turn 360 and walk back in.

I really enjoyed Baxter when i was younger. His ideas were always so interesting, even if his characters and prose weren't so great.

Read this when I was 13. Made me start looking into other 19th/20th century classics instead of reading the Hunger Games & Alex Rider brainlet-tier literary shitposts.

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I hadn’t read the previous book so it was a delightful mind screw that got me into reading.

catch 22 got me through my plunge into depression when i was 15 and also made me think about the war machine and now im a lefty fuck

Made me dislike sex.

there are actually two that have influenced me quite a bit
i used to be someone who didn't read books at all then i gave the first horus heresy book a try, and since then reading is one of my favorite things to do.
another rather big thing was when i read Also sprach Zarathustra it made me get into things that are not fiction which now make out around a third of my small library

Frankenstein made me like books

Catholicism edited by George Brantl made me into a practicing Catholic

After a half a year of not reading I got a book called guns of the south. and then I accended to the next level

The Fall by Camus. Made me read Myth of Sisyphus, which got me interested in philosophy as a whole.

Kek actually reading ATM. Try to enhance my focus with AAD. And this seems like an easy entry.

the illuminatus trilogy, around when i was 16 years old

Read 1984 and Brave New World when I was 16 and it got me into my edgy phase until I read Notes from the Underground the next year and made me self concious and started a serious interest in books

Nah, just one day I was like, "I'd like to understand the humanities and philosophy more", I came here, opened the sticky, found the Veeky Forums philosophy guide Google doc and just started working my way through it.

Of Human Bondage and 1Q84.

1984 and Down and Out in Paris and London. They were both written well and both had a nice atmosphere. They made me enjoy reading again, I used to read a few years ago before this but it was the Eragon series.

I was 12 and had been very into marine biology and life in general since I was a toddler.
My first detailed look at the anthropocene after reading this and the internet searching it triggered. I brokwdown and had my first social withdraw and major depression but it was also what originally got me into reading serious research and moved me past encyclopedias and normie books, so it nudged me in a direction. I was already headed in that direction. I had to find out eventually. My personality and mood continued going down hill for a long time, really with the more that I learned. I didn't really come to a sort of peace with it and start to get better until I was 20 after a big ol psychedelic adventure and a near death experience.
For a couple years I've been getting better at being alive and am finnally starting to pursue my dreams. I can't keep up but I'm getting fitter.

would have to be Caesar Against the Celts, got me into reading history at an academic level and helped me make academic decision with my university pathway

>tfw live in Newfoundland
RIP Grand Banks 2bh