Shakespeare

How the fuck do you read this stuff?

It's been an awful experience so far because I either have to use an annotated version and switch back and forth between the original text and the "translation", or just read the original and not understand half of it.

Also, I've decided to start with Hamlet since it's his most popular work so probably a good one to begin with. I take it I'd suffer a similar problem with all of them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh forgot to say, I "read" Romeo and Juliet in school. I remember enjoying it but that was mostly because the teacher would stop to explain what was going on and I guess I was happy with the plot alone.

I remember going through MacBeth in a similar fashion and again I loved the story -- but I don't think I actually understood much of the language other than the parts I had to memorise for a play.

>How the fuck do you read this stuff?
With your eyes, ya dingus. If I'm not reading it straight up and marveling at the language, I'm following along with a filmed production.

Is English your mother tongue?

I was reading Shakespeare in middle school so I can only relate to you here by thinking how I was as a 13 year old. Drop the annotations, they're mostly bullshit trivia, focus on what people are actually trying to tell each other and say.
Shakespeare is never that complicated once you get the grammar.

Shakespeare was intended to be watched you fucking brainlet. You can go back and read the dialogue later.

The syntax takes getting used to
The language is intentionally poetic you nitwit why do you think he's ranked among Dante and Tolstoy

Dante was also intended to be performed

If English is your first language you shouldn't have any trouble understanding Shakespeare. You probably won't be able to parse him at the same rate you do modern English, due to the archaic grammar and terminology, but you should be able to follow what he's saying at a bare minimum.

Also it does help if you watch his plays rather than just read them. The dialogue really comes alive on stage.

>poetic
Poems are generally supposed to be read aloud. Jesus Christ.

You read it by going to the RSC and watching a performance.

Non-native speaker here, I’ve found that re-reading the play right away works really well. First time I just go through it. Even if there’s a scene where I have no idea what’s going on - re-read it once at most, then keep going. After finishing it I look up some discussion and things that were particularly confusing, and then it’s back to the start. Second time is really easy and often much more enjoyable.

And like all poetry it must be read aloud to truly appreciate it, and for Shakespeare that means seeing it performed on stage at it was intended.

>I watch films to supplement my reading and I accuse others of being dumb
Useless.

Yes.

By annotations I mean something like this (just got it from Google Images). It's not trivia, it's the translation into modern English.

Do you think this post is of any value to me? You typed out two sentences and said literally nothing. Good use of your time!

Parsing isn't the same is full reading comprehension. I don't wanna miss out 20% of the meaning because the language is archaic, and I don't wanna use a dictionary every two minutes.

I think everyone here is just happy not understanding it fully and just getting a loose idea of the plot.

Mayhaps, this could help...
youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

Shakespeare is Modern English

It's actually Old English, but it did impress Modern.

Watch this.

You're fucking reading the play versions you dumb cunt.

I'm wrong. It's not Old. But you, uh, get my drift! hahaha

You get used to the vocab when you've read enough of it. I don't like using a dictionary every two minutes all that much either but you can bet your ass that's how I've learned to read in a foreign language, so it was worth it

As opposed to what, the cartoon transcripts? Retard.

Shakespeare invented new words all the fucking time. Even his contemporaries had big difficulties understanding his works.

>How the fuck do you read this stuff?
Have your teacher assign it. Who else had R&J in grade 10, MacBeth in 11, Hamlet in 12, and The Tempest in Eng101?