Is there any good Swedish literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

interimpoetics.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Strindberg is pretty great and very versatile. The Red Room, The People of Hemsö, Getting Married, and, if you want to delve into some high-tier psychoticism literature, Inferno and some of his later plays.

delete

Literally LOL

Hjalmar Söderberg, Pär Lagerkvist, Astrid Lindgren, Tove Jansson (fenno-swede), the list could go on

No. The rest of Scandinavia has way more interesting literature.

Halfway through "The Emigrants" by Vilhelm Moberg. I would recommend it.

Doctor Glas really should be memed on here

true scriptio on par with much of Dostoevsky

If you think that's good wait till you see the film.

Swedenborg of course

Strindberg also did a Beckett and wrote a bunch of plays and novels in French, and later translated them to Swedish himself. So that might be interesting to any francos on here.

Swedes are a bunch of stemfags, so they fail for the most part when it comes to literature.

The Brothers Lionheart is one of the best works of Children's literature.

Name an author, I'll tell you the Swedish equivalent

J. G. Ballard

The Long Ships by Bengtsson has gotten some love on here recently, though I haven't read it myself. City of My Dreams is my personal favorite Swedish book.
Also seconding this , it's definitely up Veeky Forums's alley.

Hamsun

No, we're full.

P.C. Jersild. There are many parallels beyond the two initials; both are frequent writers of science fiction and occasionally of apocalyptic fiction, characteristically of apocalyptic moods in their satirical style, transposing the sense of ruin onto present society through visions of a soured decadence, Ballard of cultures deranged (Atrocity Exhibition, High-Rise), Jersild of dispassionate institutions cooled past the point of brain function (Babels hus/House of Babel, Tivoli/Amusement Park), but Jersild writes a good deal of Ballard-like madness, as in A Living Soul. (I would say Jersild is at times much more egregiously satirical than Ballard ever was; he has a book on politics starring critters that would put Orwell to shame, and I don't mean that as a compliment...) Also see: Jersild's virtual reality novel (Eden's bakgård/Eden's Backyard), his partly-historical mystery (De ondas kloster/Convent of Evil), and Efter floden/After the Flood, a nuclear post-apocalypse.

National icon to be honest

Where should I start with Strindberg?
t. norrbagge

Selma Lagerloef of course!

Röda rummet

Also read Giftas, it's still pretty relevant. Funny enough.

A tricky one, since Hamsun combined so many senses each of which would define another author: delirium and hardness, longing and poisoned nostalgia, natural lyricism and rural grit... Sometimes like Dostoevsky, sometimes like Willa Cather, the latter in many respects moreso than Harry Martinson, but Hunger especially brings to mind Martinson's Vägen till klockrike. (Another resemblance, oddly; Lowry's Ultramarine.)

"Så satte han mig till arbeide . . . .
Ute i fjorden rettet jeg mig op engang, våt av feber og mathet, så ind mot land og sa farvel for denne gang till byen, Kristiana hvor vinduerne lyste så blankt fra alle hjem."

I'll add, less for shared styles than subjects, Sven V. Rosendahl.

Harry is most definitely my boy. Nässlorna and Vägen Ut. Just beautiful writing.

>swedish
>good
Please pick one you worthless shitskin.

There is no Swedish culture.

Anyone read Aniara? How is it? I've only read some short stories by Martinsson but I love his writing.

Nords are really bad: philosophers, storytellers, artists

t. never been to Sweden but I saw some angry brown people there on the news once

kierkegaard, hamsun, munch

*swedes
Norway is a very artistic land as is Denmark to a lesser extent

>How is it?
Sad.

I wonder how it translates to English.

overrated, bad, irrelevant literally who

no the nordic race is artless and mindless, they're complete fucking spergs

swedens biggest contribution to literature

Even though those you just mention would certainly be considered good in their respective fields, none of those are from Sweden.

swedes are culturally subhuman working drones

You massive, irredeemable pleb.

I just looked this up. Promising. Thanks, user.

Kristin Lavransdatter is a mastahpiece.

Go back to youtube Felix

I don't know about your literature, but you guys have Ingmar Bergman, so there's that

I'm looking forward to seeing it! I understand it covers the first two books in the series, though, so I'm going to have to wait until I've read them.

triggered desu

lol

Barabbas by Lagerkvist

Nabokov

I’m sorry that you live in a culture consisting only of sodomising yourself with hamburgers and bald eagles. My condolences.

Looooll

Not anymore

WOW GEENO GEENO LOOK ITS A MOOBIE ITS GEENO

>one (1!!!!!) renowned filmmaker
wow

Hemsöborna by Strindberg is amazing, you really should't read a translation though, it doesn't compare.

Interim Poetics recently published an edition featuring translated Swedish poems alongside the originals: interimpoetics.org/ Two of my favorite Swedish writers are featured, Johan Jönsson and Leif Holmstrand

they have two, i think

where are you from?

> the quran
> One thousand and one nights
> The muslim jesus
> The book of Saladin

Whom the fuck says that Swedistan doesn’t have any good literature, you’ll really enjoy these.

Came here to post this

From the silent era Sweden have Viktor Sjöström and Mauritz Stiller. And now recently Ruben Östlund.

Apart from earlier mentioned authors here are some works:
Hercules - Georg Stiernhielm
Frithiof's Saga - Esaias Tegnér
Kallocain - Karin Boye
Pölsan - Torgny Lindgren
Händelser vid vattnet - Kerstin Ekman
Clownen Jac - Hjalmar Bergman
Singoalla - Viktor Rydberg
Erik Johan Stagnelius who wrote 'gnostic' poems
And Gustav Fröding

That guy is an idiot, don't believe his lies