Explain this

Could Veeky Forums explain to me why /pol/ (and most of Veeky Forums), seem to rank Catholic and Orthodox Christianity so high? What is good about it, and how is it better than other branches of Christianity/religions in general.

Enlighten me

Other urls found in this thread:

repubblica.it/2009/04/sezioni/cronaca/sacrestano-svastica/sacrestano-svastica/sacrestano-svastica.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's a meme

They associate it with whiteness and european dominance (rome). Dont think too deeply about it, you wont find coherent answers.

You shouldn't put much thought into the opinions of people who use meme terms to rank religions

It's because of two millennia of culture you damn brainlet: music, architecture, literature, visual arts, philosophy, etc.

Buddhism is older and has as much culture.

Same reason it views nazism and communism highly
memes and loud minorities

It's funny, actually. The Catholic Church doesn't have much objection to Protestantism anymore (the Pope even celebrated the anniversary of the Reformation). Orthodoxy doesn't consider Catholicism its "bro" but rather schismatics. It's a dumb meme made by "traditional Catholics", i.e. people who like to act strictly religious on the internet but likely don't even attend a church, and if they did they would be disciplined by their pastors because this type of behavior they engage in is sinful. I'd like to see one of these "Catholics" go tell them their bishop about their opinion about who is "in need of crusade" and see what happens.

Western "Buddhism" isn't, hasn't.

I did not say western buddhism dumbfuck

I can only name one buddhist filmmaker, that's all of their cultural output I have come in contact with. Where's the rest?

They are the most important bastion of fine arts in western culture

Here's that famous sacristan welcoming believers with a swastika armband:
repubblica.it/2009/04/sezioni/cronaca/sacrestano-svastica/sacrestano-svastica/sacrestano-svastica.html

>Orthodoxy doesn't consider Catholicism its "bro" but rather schismatics
Ask Patriarch Bartholomew lmfao

>my own ignorance is an argument

>Ask Patriarch Bartholomew lmfao
He isn't the Orthodox equivalent of the pope.

Your point?

The fact that Bartholomew did something does not mean that Orthodoxy accepts it. Of course you'll claim the same thing about Francis but you know that isn't true practically. The difference in deference to the actions of a Patriarch and to the "vicar of Christ" is extreme.

>that isn't true practically
[citation needed]

Show me an accomplished and influental buddhist author or painter (their works have to thematise something uniquely buddhist)

>[citation needed]
The state of Catholicism since Vatican II.

Making shit up as usual.

You're right, the Popes since Vatican II have not caused a massive upheaval in every aspect of the religion that has irreversibly altered it to the point that a Catholic from 100 years ago would probably think you practice a different religion. Sure bud.

Culture from pagan romans, architecture from pagan greeks, philosophy was dead from the greeks until the 18th century.

I dont know how you can attribute bach, beethoven and mozart to catholicism or orthodoxy. Youve truly revealed yourself as a brainlet.

Church Christianity has:
>ancient historical tradition
>institutional legitimacy
>rich artistic and literary heritage
>developed philosophical system as a direct continuation of classical thought

Protestantism left all of this behind to be used as a vessel for nationalist and liberal movements. Once this mission is done it is left with nothing ; the only reason it still lives is, ironically, one of tradition, since it has no real justification to arbitrarily follow certain forms of doctrinal unity instead of others.

>begging the question
Anyway, Basho for one. Mishima's tetralogy was thematically buddhist. Hokusai was tremendously influential. There are a number of buddhist film festivals every year. The Tale of Genji is arguably influenced by buddhism. Angkor Wat is a stunning representation of Buddhist architecture. JD Salinger and Kerouac were both very interested in buddhism. This is off the top of my head.

>18th century
you need to try harder
>bach, beethoven and mozart to catholicism
because only Bach is the protestant there

>the only reason it still lives is, ironically, one of tradition
The Reformation was not about the abandonment of tradition, but the proper emphasis which is to be placed upon it.

Christendom can suck my willy

Chan-"""""buddhism""""" and its offshoots don't count.

>moving the goal posts like a nigger faggot
Well Catholicism doesn't count as Christianity. Arianism is the only true faith.

>WHERE’S MUH TEEVEE SHOWS??

There is no reason to be Catholic or Orthodox when you can clearly see the truth is Calvinist Christianity, which should really be called Augustinian, as Augustine was essentially a Calvinist over a thousand years before calvin.

>Worshipping Mary

Catholic and Orthodox have nice aesthetic and culture and aren't full of evil Protestant stink and innovations. Too bad Protestants are the only ones with any dignity and civlisation... But you have to admit, there is something deliciously pagan about the Catholicism of the European Southern races... burning under the shadow of the olive trees, running about naked in streams with the distant clattering of church bells and the tinkling of rosaries... a statue de maria in the town square, motherly sun...

The Catholics of German or Anglo nations have a sort of sweet humanity and spiritual power unlocked in their disposition that has been otherwise quietened in their Protestant cousins... and yet, there is something eternally childish about them all... if Shakespeare was indeed Catholic, he is the only one to have surpassed this... the great overcomer.

The Catholic CHurch disgusts and attracts me. Moments of incredible humanity, humble chastity... and moments of total abject cowardice, evil sterility... the two sides of the Catholic coin represented in the way different Catholics acted in the midst of the Nazi tide... some with astounding bravery and compassion, others with stupendous deafness, unforgiveable apathy - not the common crime of fear, of inaction in the face of terrible danger to life and wellbeing and of moral consensus, but of almost deliberate washing hands clean of the sufferings of other men, women, and children.

A Catholic from 100 years ago would definitely have a culture shock, but then he would see the Eucharist

Is proper emphasis abandoning the sacramental gifts given my Christ? Come home brother; bask in the love of Christ more fully than you have

Ignore all your other replies, they're brainlets. Catholicism and Orthodox are rated highly because they preserved not only the original doctrines of Christianity and the philosophical foundations they jacked from the Platonists, but they also kept a changelog of all the stupid papal bulls and retcons that came out over the centuries. They had the greatest number of theologians, and spilled oceans of ink to justify the catechisms they invented. The other faiths don't even come close to having the same earthly authority. Ultimately it doesn't mean anything. God is. And it doesn't give a shit about some pedo parish priest or his redcoated pedo bosses and the obscene hierarchy they invented supposedly for His glory. God is. You'll see.

Because they think it'll be easier to get a catholic gf, that's it no matter how they try to adorn it. Of course their idealized conservative virgin exists only in their addled brains.

I should add the caveat of Vatican II upset a lot of shit. The mass said for more than a thousand years was tossed in the dumpster by these lamebrains back in the mid-20th. JP2 was a disgusting Marionite cultist, and the Pope we have now thinks he's some kind of Starfleet interfaith chaplain.

hey satan, do they really think catholic gfs are virgins?

It's just people LARPing as being religious and making up shit based on history, politics and concepts of whiteness.
As an actual anglo Catholic I can tell you a lot of it comes from latent anger from repression anglo and irish Catholics faced in Britain, Northern Ireland and, to a lesser extent, the colonies. There's an "us and them" mentality that still hasn't healed fully.

Memes and the perceived last stronghold of European conservatism, Russia.

Because they're edgy anti-liberals who crave hierarchies.

They have a hard-on for not thinking for themselves and being told what to do, so they enjoy the hierarchy and hand-kissing of those religions. Of course this isn't fair to the spiritual traditions of either Catholicism or Orthodoxy, they aren't far-right caricatures.

Aren't catholic countries more promiscuous?

brazil is catholic so yeah

I think New Zealand females have the most sexual partners on average though. From memory it was something like 6 times the average and they're an Anglican country. I don't put much stock the argument that slight theological differences greatly affect culture.

They have a fetish for cultural marxism and there hasn't been a more effective force of cultural marxism than the catholic church.

Yes and Asian Buddhists should be proud of their traditions and culture
Then don't use Buddhism as an argument against western Christianity.

because it triggers proddie cunts

also because it is the true church

I brought up Buddhism as an illustration of how other religions produced culture. Not as an "argument against christianity". You dumb pol fucks cannot even reason.

And he's arguably the best among them

>Buddhism has as much culture.

>Ignore all your other replies, they're brainlets
can I ignore this one for the same reason? because thats what im gonna do

This is the most incoherent, masturbatory trash post I've ever seen on this board

in asia, it does

not sure globally

because chantards are contrarian spastics

>in asia, it does
Asia barely has any high culture of worth

Typed while logged onto an anime website

Pray for our brothers and sisters who are not in full communion. Pray for our clergymen to never lead Christ's bride into error. Pray for the sick, the poor, the weak, and all those who who take care of them.

I love basking in my Catholic faith with like minded individuals, but we mustn't forget that we are called to be saints and to spread the Gospel to every creature. We are not an exclusive club, we're a home with open doors.

There is literally nothing good about present-day Orthodox Christianity, it's just western retards romanticizing it.

What's wrong with it? Makes sense to me.

As a Russian, I approve this.

All of you fools worshiping the Eternal Galilean in your charnel houses are a sad sight. The Christian church was basically built on stealing everything from the Roman Pantheon and other gods such as Mithra and Sol Invictus. Leave this rabbi and come back to Rome.

I don't know why /pol/ says that and I'm certainly not going to make any attempt to find out
haha lmao /pol/ just says random shit with no justification wtf like why do they even say that just memes I guess weeeeeeeeeeew I got /pol/ all figured out now

Buddhism is western though you retard. This board isn't inhabited by eastern buddhist scholars is it?
No. It's white europeans and americans in post christian countries.

>you have to be 18 or over to post on this site

so why are you here?

I'll have you know 90% of the people on this board are either Persian scholars or Russian aristocrats

Dah

>I know u r but what am I haha xddd

Nonsense the based orthodox church is based and totally not burger megachurch tier. Pay for my Ferrari

On paper, Catholicism remains very traditional and conservative while at the same time not anti-science; the Church hierarchy generally accepts evolution and of course, Lemaitre developed the 'Big bang' theory.

Also, the theology of Catholicism, although weird in some places, is generally a lot more cohesive and rational than Sola Fide Protestantism.

However, the key word is 'on paper'. In the US, Catholics are overwhelmingly democrats and most Catholics do not actually believe in all the doctrines and dogmas like transubstantiation.

At the moment, the Catholic Church under Pope Francis is really fractured. Amoris Laetitia has pissed off traditionalists and they worry more radical changes are to come. Bergogolio isn't as progressive as some make him out to be but he is has really opened the door for people who are. People who want to give the green light to homosexuality and allow for women priests.

Honestly, if the Church wasn't so centralised and didn't have tonnes of conservative believers in the third world, the Catholic Church in many European countries would be like fucking Swedish 'Lutheranism' by now. Full women bishops, homosexual weddings, contraception and all that jazz.

They're attracted to LARPing rather than actual faith in Christ. Catholicism and Orthodoxy (as well as high-church protestant denominations) are ostentatious, idolatrous displays of gilt and ritual, perfect for the aspiring Christian LARPer. I've always found it especially funny because most Catholic churchgoers are brown and most Orthodox adherents are Asiatic.

>idolatrous displays of gilt and ritual, perfect for the aspiring Christian LARPer
I suppose you think that God is a LARPer and an idolater, when He ordered the Israelites to build the Art of the Covenant and cover, is with gold, constructing winged seraphim on the top. Perhaps God was too 'ostentatious' for you when He commanded the Temple in Jerusalem to be filled with incense. Maybe God committed idolatry when He ordered Moses to make the serpent Nehushtan out of gold and asked the Israelites to bow down before it.

Idolatry is the worship of images of foreign Gods. Having an image of a Saint is not idolatry as long as you don't worship the saint or the image.

Try studying the Bible some time.

Nowadays /pol/ would certainly rank the Orthodox church higher than the Catholic one, seeing how they loathe Pope Francis.

its just less pathetic as both faiths are almost a thousand years older than lutheran shit