Books you buy but never read:

What are some books you buy but never read?

>reading

Finnegan’s Wake

War and Peace. That shit is intimidating.

It actually isn't once you get into it. This is not in the least a humble brag, I am awful at finishing novels, but War and Peace is just pure entertainment with occasional philosophical digressions.

2666 that cover is just to good

I got 30 pages in before I gave up last time. I'm keeping my copy though because I do plan on getting around to trying it again someday.

2666 in English is a surprisingly breezy read

I haven't but this is the only good answer.

>just to good
>to good
>to
Least deserved dub trips I've seen in my life.

All of them

Your pic related. It bugs the hell out of me that I haven’t read it yet. It’s been 3 years.

A lot of english classics I got from thrift stores because they were almost free and the editions looked nice

Atlas Shrugged

Why does no-one read this book?

I've had this one sitting by my desk for years.

The Complete Poetry and Prose of William Blake

It's pretty good. At times it reads like a well executed Eminem verse, where you think he's going to mess up but he doesn't.

I've been reading one page a day from Finnegans Wake for over a year now
it is killing me

Because it's really hard, but it's also really interesting, so there aren't that many people who skim/force their way through once they feel they "get it." That's my theory any way. I gave up 130 pages in, loved every word of it

I've had The Travels of Marco Polo for years because I had to read parts of it for a history class in college. It was really interesting, and I've been meaning to read it in its entirety...

ive actually read infinite jest. i havent read the pale king yet though.

>it's really hard
lol what, it's just long and the first hundred or so pages are a bit tedious

>not just reading the wikipedia summary 3 times and then bullshitting people that you read the real book anytime it comes up in a conversation

i've read it a few times, its intentionally reader hostile. DFW intentionally asks the reader to exert effort in understanding his sentences, which, while grammatically correct in the truest german sense, require a few re-reads and parsing to understand. It's like he's literally writing in german syntax with couched sentences like arms of a maze for the reader to walk down. Often times the footnote will emerge in the middle of one of these dense german style sentences, causing the reader to either lose place in the large main text to stop and read the footnote to gain further context, or finish the main text and then read a footnote with less context or go back for another skim of the main text. Either way, to gain full understanding of the text requires a few read throughs, and its an intentional dickish request on the part of DFW, to make the reader engage in the act of read a text instead of getting lost in it.

That's so true.

Poteryfags, is Rumi a good Babby's first poetry?

I'm just about to finish The Pale King. There are some great bits but a lot of it is just shit.

How much of it is Dave's work?

I bought Catch-22 like 4 years ago and just got to reading it the other day..

I bought a The Sound and The Fury hardback few months ago.
Enlighten me, Veeky Forums, is it harder than Mrs Dalloway? I'm not a native English.

Fogle's version of the Iliad. I try once a year but I always die halfway trough the introduction

>Anytime it comes up in conversation
Honestly if the topic of Finnegan's Wake comes up more than once ever, the people you talk to might be garbage

20 pages in and I gave up, three times.

so it's just like IJ then

I wish Veeky Forums hated James Joyce more

I suppose
>Moby Dick
>Ulysses
>Gravitiy's Rainbow
>Mason & Dixon
Glad I haven't bought any of those.

SNIFF THIS STINKER BOYS
>brrrrppppfffftttpppprrrrttttttttt
Done!