If you could chose fifteen books (five fiction, five non-fiction...

If you could chose fifteen books (five fiction, five non-fiction, five philosophy) that everyone in the entire world would read, what books would you choose? Why?

Winnie the Pooh for all 15, you fucking brainlet

is that the girl from that band?

>Five fiction
Paradise Lost
The Divine Comedy
Brothers Karamazov
Crime and Punishment
The Way of the Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way
>Five non-fiction
The Bible
The Didache
Eusebius' Church History
The Forgotten Trinity
The Catechism of St. Philaret (Drozdov) of Moscow
>Five Philosophical
Mere Christianity
Fear and Trembling
On the Incarnation
On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ
On the Holy Spirit

yes.

yikes

Well there are a lot of fucking girls and a lot of fucking bands with them so you're gonna need to be more fucking specific you fucking brainlet

stop posting this meme NOW

are you the guy from that place with the thing on his face?

No

YES

I like the naked naturalness of the way her feet are posed; its candid, honest, even a little abject - unlike the rest of the image... sterile, gross, manufactured. For mediocre eyes.

>non-fiction
>The Bible
there's always one

Five philosophy books:

Thus spoke zarathustra
The fountainhead
The ego and its own
Ride the tiger
Descartes meditations

Putting the bible in non-fiction. Please stop. You’re unironically embarrassing yourself.

None.

I think the world would be a lot more boring if there was a book everyone had read.

This is why atheists are laughed at.

Bible is a philosophical work

> Fiction
Steppenwolf
Brothers Karamazov
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
The Bible
Ulysses
>Non-fiction
History of the Pelopenessian war
History of Rome
Storm of Steel
Moneyball
The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon
>Philosophy
World as Will and Representation Volume I
The Rebel
The Social Contract by Rousseau
Letters from a Stoic
The Sickness Unto Death

>read my favorite books: the thread

You make that sound like a bad thing.

You aren't even thinking about the implications of this, which is why a potentially interesting thread turned out to be banal as fuck. This guy is right. You got one guy picking advanced philosophy books that 90% of people wouldn't understand, and another guy wasting the non-fiction on narrow history books. I'd rather get everyone to read anti-natalism and suicide guides than this shit.

If I could get people to read five non-fictions I'd take the opportunity to change the world: (1) a critical thinking book (2) something on basic nutrition and exercise (3) a psychology text explaining biases and coping mechanisms (4) something to redpill people on consumerism and advertising (5) a book exposing state corruption. Now hopefully you have a population of people who can think for themselves, don't run to the doctor for SSRIs because they're fucking obese and depressed about it, can hopefully stop being such cunts to each other and maybe organise themselves to take down large institutions that have been fucking us in the ass for the last 50 years.

It doesn't even matter what books specifically, it's the fact that the majority of people don't understand the world around them, and I'm not saying that in an arrogant way: people don't have the time or energy to investigate this shit so anything would awake them from their subservient slumber.

all fifteen volumes of my diary desu

>his diary mixes fiction, non-fiction, and philosophy
I’m gonna do that from now on

Thank you, adding these to my list. Blessings brother

I'm choosing compendiums and anthologies so I end up having 100s of books in just 15 volumes.

Understanding Power, Noam Chomsky (the large picture of society)

Moral Mazes, Robert Jackall (how corporations really work)

Nickel and Dimed, Barbara Ehrenreich (how the other half lives)

>haha le FEDORA
unironically not an argument

If you present someone with a non-argument (haha le BIBLE IS FICTION) you will receive a non-argument (atheists dress and act like disgusting jokes)

So do you honestly believe that a book in which a snake talks, the graves of Jerusalem open up and their denizens walk freely among the living, and a man loses his sword inside another mans fat among quite literally hundreds of other logically impossible tales could be considered non-fiction?

>Crime and Punishment

^ what he said

>something happens that’s strange
>this proves it never happened

the little clip of this man saying this is the best art of the 21st century

You actually think nonfiction books are peer-reviewed by the science community? All religious texts are nonfiction.

Do you believe the universe exploded from nothing into existence or do you have a different religious explanation?

>t. footfag

Just because no one can prove it didn't happen doesn't mean it didn't happen. The claims you are making are so blatantly ridiculous to anyone who has experienced reality that you would need extraordinary proof to support your claim that the stories in that book are retellings of actual events that occurred and not simply myths and fables.

I never said anything about the scientific community, what are you on about? There is a blatant difference between a typical non-fiction book (in which all the events are believable and seem to be supported by existing outside records and evidence), and a book like the Bible which tells wild tales detailing events that, due to the average man's knowledge of the universe and our experience of reality, seem completely absurd.

Most non-fiction books contain elements of dramatization or fiction, I will admit that. But the fantasy elements in most religious texts are so strong it places them closer in line with Lord of the Rings than In Cold Blood.

Why must I have an explanation? The intellectually honest answer is, "I don't know."

Some of you suggesting difficult books like zarathustra or ulysses. People who have never read don't understand those books and it wouldn't leave any impact on them.

It's because they haven't read them themselves.

you should be shot dude

tell us your list

>Why must I have an explanation? The intellectually honest answer is, "I don't know."

This is a good point. Explanation was a poor choice of words. I should have said belief because that's what it is.

Finn is the patrician choice

I'd be fine with just Industrial society and its future

Based on my limited reading, and not recommending books I did not read:

Fiction:
>The Brothers Karamazov
>The Complete Novels of James Joyce by Wordsworth Classics, consisting of Dubliners, Portrait, Ulysses and Finnegans Wake.
>The Complete Works of Shakespeare i got at Costco. I think it's important to include a Costco book because they are well made and widely available so it would be more efficeint to distribute to the entire planet
>Kafka Complete Stories
>The Odyssey

Non Fiction:
>The Bible
>Sapiens
>Siddhartha
>Man's Search for Meaning
>How to Win Every Argument

Philosophy:
>Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>Letters From a Stoic by Seneca
>Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

I only read 3 philosophy books so I'll add 2 fictions to make it an even 15:
>Borges Collected Fictions (it has Ficciones and I think all of his fiction work)
>Swann's Way

Assuming I want everyone to understand/enjoy them.

Fiction
> Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
> The Trial - Kafka
> Death of a Salesman - Miller
> What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Carver
> Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce

Non-Fiction
> Junky - Burroughs
> Whitsun Weddings - Larkin
> Selected Non-Fictions - Borges
> Ariel - Plath
> Leaves of Grass - Whitman