What about him? Is Borges on the same level as the greats?

what about him? Is Borges on the same level as the greats?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0coyhlG4HK4
youtube.com/watch?v=f-GGALlLkIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I read some of Ficciones in original spanish a while ago. His style was good, but I think he gets off too much on all his literary allusions.

overrated on Veeky Forums underrated by normalfags who read, a lot like Junger and Joyce

the great one

ignore hipsterfaggs

He's in the top 10 20th century authors for sure.

ahh, i see you're a man of culture as well.

Also I read Library of Babel before that. That's the only story I remember having some kind of meaning. The rest were just fantasy with some clever concepts.

>Maybe I'm just a brainlet and I missed the meaning in everything else

lol library is the most basic one, fuck off pleb

What is the most advanced one?

He's the best Spanish-language writer since Cervantes. García Márquez is a bad joke.

> same level as the greats

who are those in your opinion?

The garden of the forking paths, maybe?

No, babel is. But in literary terms, garden and herber quain, not by themselves, but in the relation they have

youtube.com/watch?v=0coyhlG4HK4

Also Borges underestimated himself while Garcia thought he was hot shit.

I dont understand why people regard this guy so highly when all he wrote was genre fiction in spanish.

>He's the best Spanish-language writer since Cervantes.
>Who is Baltasar Gracián
>Who is Perez Galdós
>Who is Leopoldo Alas Clarín
>Who is Ruben Dario
>Who is Rulfo
Borges is meme tier compared to those and I haven't even started

>implying he's on the same level as genre fiction writers like stephen king

kys

>Ruben Dario is better than Georgie

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Go home, kid.

t.Arshentino

Best author since Menard.

>Rulfo
>One hit wonder is a great
Hahahahahahaha

I'm not an argentine.

Borges shits on all of those.

>Borges shits on Gracián or Galdós
Dude it's pretty clear that you haven't read them

Man, it's sad that borges doesn't get much recognition outside pseudos on Malaysian makeshift condom knotting enthusiast boorus. His contemporaries constantly shat on him for not being political enough and where are they now? Marquez is a one hit wonder and Cortazar is only read by try hards who need another name to list off.

He's my favorite writer. He's just so clever and imaginative. He's a bit like the Godard of literature.
I loved Idea Channel. I wish it would come back.

did you miss the first half of ficciones or something?

>His is a literature of evasion

Ouch

youtube.com/watch?v=f-GGALlLkIw

Dispite my dislike of García Márquez, he's not a one hit wonder. He has some pretty good books besides One hundred years. A one hit wonder is someone like Juan Rulfo. Cortazar wrote pretty good short stories.

He is incredible. One of the authors that make me feel like a mouthbreather in comparison.

Pérez Galdós*.

Hispanics are called by their father's surname alone (Pérez in this case) or by both their father's and their mother's surname (Pérez Galdós), but NEVER by their mother's surname alone (Galdós). So, it's not Márquez, it's García or García Márquez. Finally you learn something on Veeky Forums, user.

>When your prose is so good your haters force themselves to read you

Go to eat some beans, beaner.

>Implying the label "Latin American" means anything.

>redneck strikes back

I've already had a meal, you fucking faggot kek

As a Mexican I never saw my culture reflected in One Hundred Years despite being called *the* Latin American novel. It's a Colombian novel, period.

poor man's Calvino

that's frijoles to you, chum

Other way around.

Lol, Borges is absolutely read by everyone (who reads) here in Latin America. Akin to reading the catcher in the rye in the USA-

t. brainlet pedant

They're both memified. Whom do non-pseudo intellectuals read? Cortázar? Saramago? ...Neruda?

I would say he's read by everyone who reads in Hispanic America. Brazilians don't read and aren't important to LatAm.

not him but it's true, though.

Have you seen Alphaville? There are some cool references to Borges. Godard knew his stuff.

>implying real-life like Veeky Forums where Borges is also "memified".

C'mon, user, you're better than this (I hope).

poor man's bait

Neruda is just a fucking poet. Borges wrote prose and essays besides poetry.

I am Colombian, from Medellín, and my culture was not reflected by it either. It is about Caribbean culture more specifically. But that does not mean it is a great novel. "Latin American" culture is not expressible as a whole in a novel. It is too complex and has many shades. This novel explores one of those shades and does it wonderfully.

I'm from Medellín too. What novel do you think represents culture from Antioquia?

Despite all the edgy shit, I believe Fernando Vallejo is appealing to our culture (especially when he talks about his childhood on a rural settling and the typical Christmas celebrations). Tomás Carrasquilla also comes to my mind.

It's rather sad that you think you insulted Rulfo when you don't even understand what a one-hit wonder is.

In Argentina, pseud hipsters and casuals occasionally get small hopscotch diagrams tattoos.

>Benito Pérez Galdós
>Leopoldo Alas Clarín

Are they really that good? What should I read by them? The thing is, I'm not a big fan of the novela decimonónica full of detail and stuff. I don't even like Dickens.

1700-1900 forget all those years of spaniard shite.

>that fag who calls Rulfo a one hit wonder

Imagine being that much of a brainlet.

Sorry, but if I wanted to read about squat ugly brown people I'd rather browse /pol/ or hispachan.

kek the racism and ignorance is off the charts, jusy kys, you'll do the world a favor.

>pedro puhramo is just about brown people

Say that with a straight face and then call yourself a man. You can't.

Maybe you guys just live in a different environments or a rich background. But me, being born in Brazil, with family with large land areas and knowing my old background, One hundred years totally show how this Latin America was.

If you guys are sons and grandsons of city people, from a background of public servants and stuff like that is normal that you guys dont fell the simillarity.

Huh, haven't tought about that. Probably Fernando Vallejo is the best in representing 'paisa-ness'. Recently I read Carrasquilla's Grandeza which was about Medellín's people in the 20s-30s. But there should be something else. Maybe we should write it my friend.

Well, that's true. I am a city folk through and through, and 100 years of solitude is more about small town life.

caribbean rural plantation town*

La Regenta is really good and for sure a top 10 novel in Spanish literature and Pérez Galdós is considered by most RAE academics as the second best novelist in spanish literature. But if you don't like realism you probably won't like them that much. Galdós is more versatil in that regard.

I'll check out La Regenta, but what about Pérez Galdós?

You should try some beans with your raton laveur a latuer la route

Not rich, but definitely from an urban area. One hundred years gives me a very tropical vibe, full of banana plantations, tropical carrots and heat and such. Which is nothing like the part of Mexico where I live in. Also, I can't really identify with the incest and mysticism. Good book, nonetheless.

El aleph is where it's at

I love the Lottery in Babylon.

Galdos work is wide. He was a periodist,a novelist and a historian. His books about the history of Spain are brilliant for example,but he also has great short stories or novels like Fortunata y Jacinta. La Regenta is really dense and might not be for your taste. I wouldn't recommend la Regenta if you don't like realism desu.

I think he's a hack. All show.

Good critique, Mr Bloom.

It's pretty accepted universally that Borges is already one of "the greats"

> Is Borges on the same level as the greats?
He's included in Bloom's Western Canon book so yes.

Bloom likes Borges though.. :/

>my taste in art needs to be justified
>art that doesn't validate my personal experience has no merit

this is exactly the kind of attitude that generates garbage, overly sentimental art, and explains why One Hundred Years reads like an oral history recited by a blubbering old grandmas conditioned by collectivist kinship-fetishizing romance language cultures to express themselves like utter fucking faggots.

in all fairness Borges is also a diversity hire, but he's infinitely better.

>Write what you know, they said
>write about what a semi-hermit bookworm virgin knows
>WTF, Why so disengaged, hermano?!?!
>Shouldn't you be writing about (transitory meaningless bullshit of the world)?!?!
>U needa get laid mi hermano jajaja

The fact that GGM was a pain in the ass with some arrogant statments like that dosen't make him a bad writer.

100 Years is one of the greatest books of all time, and altough I love Borges he never produced anything that original.

Anyway, in the end I'm almost certain you dont like the guys work because he comes from Latin America (amd because he is popular not only with critics, but also the general public)

>¿Que es 'El llano en llamas'?

Umm... mysogynist much?

Anyone with half a brain likes Borges.

>Borges is a diversity hire

For fuck's sake.

Borges praised Rulfo, you cuck.

So no matter what you do, or how good you are, if you're not a White American you are a "diversity hire"? Borges was considered a fucking master before being translated to English. Your fucking ethnocentrist sorry American view does not apply to non-American writerswho never lived in the USA. Please think critically next time you open your mouth.

It's just the language works. Also don't forget where the word "macho" and "machismo" come from hehe

He reminds me of M.C. Escher.

Never said he didn't. He's just better than all of them.

It's just how the language works. Also don't forget where the word "macho" and "machismo" come from hehe

>Borges never produced anything that original

So you haven't read him.

Pynchon name drops a couple allusions to Cortazar in GR - so maybe yr onto something with the whole 'tryhard' thing

>only an ethnocentric would consider someone a diversity hire

nice logic, pablo.

I love the hate for García Márquez itt, but the fag saying rulfo is a one hit wonder is trying too hard.

Could you shit on the rest of the 'big four'? You've talked about Cortázar and García Márquez; now Vargas Llosa and Carlos Fuentes.

He also meantions the Marin Fierro. Is that also trying hard, you faggot?

Wrong, the thing with Brazil is that they are way more connected to the Lusosphere than they will ever be connected with Latin American literature, let alone the ammount of writers they have in their own country.

Many people would, but I'm talking about this one faggot in particular.

Yeah, when people say Latin America what they actually mean is Hispanic America. Brazil belongs to another tradition and they have a different language, obviously. Let alone French Guiana.

>Neruda is just a fucking poet.
Just a poet he says... on a literature board.

He is just a poet, though. He's not a short story writer or a novelist. A poet. I'm not diminishing poetry, just stating the truth.

If that is all you wished to say, then this means that you cannot express your own thoughts with the words they require.