Lit: ultra elitist, hostile, unfriendly...

>Lit: ultra elitist, hostile, unfriendly, toxic community where everyone thinks they can write the next Paradise Lost or that author X is a hack despite writing the most influential book.

>Reddit: where people read Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and Splinter Cell books...

There's no decent place to just talk about books.

r/literature is decent
Veeky Forums if you post about a specific book with a specific premise can be pretty worth while
depends on what time you hit it

The hostility is only superficial, there is no malice behind it. You fucking newfag pleb.

not op and i don't mind the hostility but it's not like there's anything worthwhile here when you get past the superficial. you used to be able to have a decent conversation amid the sea of shitposting but it's incredibly unlikely now that the demographics of this board have shifted, just like the rest of Veeky Forums, towards children.

Try to start a conversation on here about a book and 99% of the time you'll just get "it's garbage" or "it's good" and nothing beyond that. I sweat nobody on here actually reads books.

Exactly.

Oxford was pretty good. Have you considered leaving your computer?

that's not true, if you post about a book by someone who isn't a dead white man you'll get a lot of responses full of reactionary bullshit from borderline illiterates who clearly have nothing in common with Dostoevskij/Nabakov/Joyce other than the fact that one day they will eventually become dead white men themselves.

It's your fault for making bad threads and bad posts, that do not merit a serious reply.

Empty hostility is still hostile

this.
Veeky Forums is just tsundere

You are on a white literature board and, I assume, squatting in a country white men built. But you don't belong on/in either, you stupid shitskin, and you will be sent back. In the meantime stop posting here.

Just go to /r/badphilosophy so you can circlejerk with other losers.

case in point. this post is also a good example of how satirical moronic insecurity is indistinguishable from genuine moronic insecurity. by ironically parroting insecure morons you are turning yourself into an insecure moron by sheer force of habit.

Oxford? What?

The irony probably is that the average age of Veeky Forums posters has gone up, but people want to act like idiots more

user's probably recommending a place to talk about books.

You are a non-white posting on a white literature board while using poor grammar. This is not your culture and you need to leave. And it isnt about anyone else, it's about you being in a place where you don't belong. Make your way to the exit now please.

Well, I thought he was stalking me because I'm from near Oxford...That was weird.

There is, but there's no way in hell i'll mention it on Veeky Forums because I don't want all the worst parts of Veeky Forums to come over and ruin it.

Still Veeky Forums is largely shit, but there are good threads as well. Always been that way, probably always will.

do you find it cathartic to impersonate neurotic idiots or is it some kind of immersive anthropological investigation?

>Using poor grammar
>"isnt"
>"you being in a place"
"now please"

Isn't. Your being in a place. Now, please.

Weren't you just told to leave? Why are you still here? You don't belong in the white country you currently reside in, and you have no business complaining about white people on a white literature board. Leave now.

there's only so much you can circlejerk that elites are still credible, academia is not a meme, smugness is an indicator of intelligence and you don't have to engage with the real world to be credible, it gets old at some point

or is it some kind of fetish? I bet it is. you get sexual satisfaction exclusively from elaborate fantasies of being repeatedly blatantly cucked, and now you see every facet of life up to and including global politics through the single blurry lens of your self-hating humiliation kink.

I fucking wish Veeky Forums were ultra-elitist

Jew detected.

Compared to most places they are extremists...

This. Veeky Forums needs to be more elitist, not less.

so you have an intellectual inferiority complex too... do you have a therapist? if you don't, get one soon, or you'll end up giving yourself a shotgun haircut before long.

It's not ironic really. Older age means more serious and complex problems in life, generally. They use this place as more of an escape and release and act in a much different way than they would in real life. Younger people live on all forms of social media and are acting like the immature little shits they are everywhere.

keep feeding him idiot

Good luck on reaching agreement on what is "elitist" and what is not.

on a scale of one to Ezra Pound, how elitist is Jordan Peterson?

can you describe /r/lit in a paragraph or so? just so i know what am I getting into. i got no idea of the general premise behind reddit

>Veeky Forums
>ultra elitist
Veeky Forums does not even reach the bare minimum of exclusion by skill level. Also, nice fucking reddit spacing and complete misunderstanding of how to greentext you retarded tourist fuck.

Crying about how someone puts spaces in their text... Thanks for proving my point, freak. Veeky Forums users are mentally ill.

This got a laugh from me.

You are not even approximating an appropriate syntax characteristic of this site's userbase, you are a foreigner squatting in our home and have the gall to tell us how to behave.

Yawn.

>criticizes a community for being elitist
>strikes this superior condescending tone when people engage with his arguments

are you aware of what elitism means?

So he says that I should fuck off because I put spacing in my text (heaven forbid!) and I yawn at his tedious bullshit. And I'm the elitist?

Lol, okay.

You go to lit to find out which books are not worth reading because Reddit somehow likes every book. Then you go to Reddit to get a quality review of the book that you found is worth reading.

Veeky Forums is a nice place for intellectual discussion, ya queeahs. If you come at Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums with a thoughtful question or set of questions about a book, you will more than likely get a serious response and if you can actually hold up your end of the conversation the rest of the Grugs will quiet down and actually learn something. It may take a thread or three, but someone will eventually engage you meaningfully. Trouble is 90% of activity on Veeky Forums is braindead shitposting.

Reddit is more welcoming and far less noisy, but less technical. Readers there have no taste whatsoever, but at least they actually read their garbage and are somewhat sincere.

>Veeky Forums
Yikes!

I came here for a few years and there was fuck all novel discussion. Even the guys who think they're trying aren't really. You don't start a discussion by saying what do you think of this book? You talk about specifics of it, something barely anyone did or does I don't know I don't come anymore

>You don't start a discussion by saying what do you think of this book? You talk about specifics of it, something barely anyone did or does I don't know I don't come anymore
except you don't do that, you just post something horribly wrong and retarded about the book and then sit back and wait

>Trouble is 90% of activity on Veeky Forums is braindead shitposting.

Exhibit fuckin A.

For various reasons, fuck all of you. Fucking leave.
This thread is fucking terrible and you're all responsible.

Elitism and toxicity to keep people from falling into habits of YA trash and genre fiction are good.

agree

Aw, boo boo.

only idiots dislike toxicity and elitism.

>Reddit: where people read Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and Splinter Cell books...

>Veeky Forums: where people read Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and Splinter Cell books and pretend they don’t...

they have their uses but can be detrimental as well as helpful. most of the reason that people on Veeky Forums are so dumb is the mimicked the toxicity amd elitism without mimicking the taste and sensibility of the sites original userbase. they thought it was just a place to spore vitriol because we projected that image and that image alone, so now you get empty screeching with little intellectual content as a result.

Yup, elitism is literally the foundation for liberal enlightenment. By refusing to give superstition the same seat at the table as science, we force people to give up on shit ideas instead of come up with ways to defend them.

Elitism is the only way to stop degenerating into utter mediocrity

But what of unjustified elitism? What of elitism where everyone's a circlejerking pseud spitting down on "Childish bad smelly" things, unable to say anything more on the subject than to call them what their mob sees them as?

The beautiful thing about Veeky Forums is that you can say what you want. If there is sense to it and other people are sensible, it will be echoed. If there is no sense to it (but people are sensible), it will rightly drown. But if people here are not sensible, why come here?

>implying anything is a more valuable characteristic than the most current literary meta, which is obviously found on Veeky Forums, not on censorit or censor campuses.
who cares if it's hostile. if your comment or question is well put together and not elliott smith tier, you'll get quality responses. shitposts are part of the meta.

boo hoo wah wah wah
go back to /r/books

Dialectics bro

I've never met a well adjusted man who uses the word toxic

Veeky Forums's honestly an exception on Veeky Forums. Literature requires some degree of effort, and since literature has a decently defined canon you get a group of select autist/elitist willing to maintain it. It's unlike, say, /mu/ or /a/ whose misplaced elitism come from the medium requiring almost no effort to consume and act smug about.

Only useful answer in this whole thread and it gets no replies. It proves simultaneusly the retarded nature of the site and the fact that there still is some minimum of meaningful activity between the shitpost.

>Lit: ultra elitist, hostile, unfriendly, toxic community

People always been friendly with me.
Probably you're faggot who post YA or things like that. So, you deserve.