Stack thread

ITT: post your stax here & r8 stacks posted by other anons

(apologies if you've already seen this in the other thread)

OP why did you choose Tolkien's prose translation of Beowulf? Tolkien himself wasn't a fan and I don't think he ever wanted it published.

I also recently picked up that edition of Chaucer, it was on a whim just to snag free shipping on Amazon so I didn't research it, but after comparing it to the original I'm kind of perturbed by some of the alterations in it. Like, they didn't need to be made. All I wanted was English spelled like English, not the way Chaucer spelled it
>bigynneth
>comynge
>vileynye
>mencioun
Instead they went and changed entire rhymes. What a sorry excuse for a publication.

Current March reading:
Life and Fate-Grossman(been reading on and off since very late December, will have it done tonight)
Petersburg-Andrei Bely(re-read I started last month)
Unfinished Tales-Tolkien
Rosshalde-Herman Hesse
Re:Zero novel two-Tappei Nagatsuki
War and War-Laszlo Krasznahorkai

Decameron is the cultured man's Canterbury Tales.
Watership Down is probably going to be one of the most worthwhile reading of your year.

My stack for the whole 2018 is:
Aeschylus' tragedies
Jack Vance's Lyonesse
Crowley's Little, Big
Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazon and The Gambler
Tolstoj's War and Peace, Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Illyich
(I always neglected russian authors because they seemed excessively depressing)

Probably going to add something else in there, but these are the priorities.

All for $14AUD at the Lifeline Bookfest

Currently looking at for the month (taking pictures is feminine):
S. Kotkin - "Stalin" vol. 1 & 2
Tolkien - Silmarillion, Children of Hurin

May not finish the whole Stalin but I'm about 2/3 done the first volume going into this month so maybe I can finish. I got a week off from work starting today, though, so the extra time could help.

Are the re zero novels decently translated?

Damn I don't really know any good book stores in my city. Any Mumbai Veeky Forumsizens here?

Does India not have Google?

$28.15 at my used bookstore.

n_n

thought they were floating for a momment

*schniff*

>YA books

That's a pretty nice collection for $14. I'm jealous.

It was worth sifting through all the Wilbur Smith, Agatha Christie, James Patterson, and John Grisham pulp to get to.

Hadn't even heard of Lifeline bookfest till now. Pity it looks like QLD only?

>current reading list
Don Quixote
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Gulag Archipelago abridged
The Gay Science
Man and His Symbols

It's readable but I'm not sure how good it is compared to the original.

My stack.

Do you plan on reading Animal spirits any time soon?

Fuck you, too. Take your little feet bitch ass outta here.

They tour around my area of QLD and come to my town once every year, but I'm unsure if they have similar operations elsewhere. I found one article mentioning one in Melbourne, but maybe it's an eastern Australia thing.

VERY GOOD STACK OP

Coulda saved yourself 13 bucks and dropped everything that isn't the sound and the fury

Too expensive. Like a four dollar haul

Milo is from my home town and it's just hilarious to see American twelve year olds take him seriously

>Decameron is the cultured man's Canterbury Tales
I’d say it’s the other way round. Boccaccio tried far too hard to be liked by the reader, the stories too often just devolve into wacky sex tales, and the language is really nothing to marvel at. It’s far too long, as well. I’d take Chaucer any day.

Patrician stack

>dan brown and YA

nice pick-ups user

here is your (You)

Tolkien's Beowulf is absolutely awful.

...in which user got robbed blind.

i like the fall a lot

Guns, Germs and Steel has a nice hypthesis but is mostly provably wrong.

from betterworldbooks (except logic of sense, which was bought separately)

Tell me if I should read Petersburg. It's been sitting on my shelf for three years now.

>napoleon
>viking
I seriously hope this isn't a history book

why?

I’m trying to become American, so I bought all of the important looking American books I could find. Does this cover everything I need to know? Any glaring omissions?

to kill a mockingbird
anything by mark twain
Hemingway

Is that Don Quixote in the middle?

I had a horrible dream about Don Quixote last night

>OP why did you choose Tolkien's prose translation of Beowulf? Tolkien himself wasn't a fan and I don't think he ever wanted it published.

The Sellic Spell is Tolkien's prose translation and it's included alongside the his poem translation which is actually really good so stop trying to discourage people from reading it. If anything Tolkien didn't want the Sellic Spell published because it's not complete. It ends with Beewolf becoming king.

Yeah, good ol' Cervantes, as a American as a school shooting.

Do tell, user.

Okay I just saw Harvard and wanted something about American universities I guess?

Drop Stegner, McCarthy, Cervantes, and one of the McCulloughs for now. The rest are pretty much essential and will help you understand modern American culture

I found these on the sand. "Infinite Jest", "Gravity's Rainbow", "Moby-Dick", "Stoner". Are they any good?

All of them are amazing.

This is just recent acquisitions.

fucking cowboy

Viking is the publisher.

On my bedstand atm

The results of digging through my attic this morning

it was all decent and then john green appears, are you trolling us, user?

>all decent
>Thomas Harris
>Mary Shelley

Like I said, decent. Okay. Not good, not bad. Or are you defending Green? kek

How is this translation of Beowulf by Michael Alexander? I bought a couple of weeks ago because I liked the cover.

IJ is a re read

Weight, is a stack post a dick pic to send to dudes? Or is it something other than a dick pic to send to dudes?

OR are you in another hemisphere?

How do I participate in this thread if I only read digital/scans?

Please take a photo of the Stalin volumes. I want to read it and I would like to see how thick they are together.

like so

You should read Petersburg. It is the most fantastic piece of Russian lit out there. Just make sure it's the full, unedited text. I believe those are the McDuff and the Elsworth translations. You won't regret it

Is there a pink wojak on the top?

First volume without dust jacket since I'm reading it, don't ya know. And a regular 500ml water bottler for comparison. I hope the pic doesn't flip upside down this time, at this point I think my phone camera is automatically "orienting" my pictures taken for the Southern hemisphere...

You elevate yourself to patrician physical bindings.

good bait

Of course

Thanks buddy. How does it read? Have you read the other biography by khlevniuk by any chance?

Haven't read any other Stalin biographies yet but this one. It's reasonably structured narratively but the first few hundred pages did jump around a lot with trying to illustrate the state of the Tsardom and "set the table" so to say for the personal relationships, political tug of wars, and other decisive events that led to his place in the party and eventual ascension succeeding Lenin's death, but besides thst I really can't critique it against any other comparative works and I feel what I say are basic generalities that may very well apply to every Stalin bio. Only thing I have to isolate and complain about, though, is that it sometimes feels like Kotkin is trying to be edgy. It doesn't happen often but he'll sometimes throw a quip in there that I'm not sure is sincere or merely embellishment. Not to say this context example I'm about to give is a direct quote, although the subject matter is because it burned itself into my memory, but it might say something like
>so and so was stopped by the police with a briefcase full of [vodka and dildos]
I'm like really, did that (at least, the dildos) actually need to be mentioned? It doesn't happen a lot as I said, like out of 500 pages so far it could be counted on one hand, but when it does it makes me raise an eyebrow.

never heard of'em

I Am Legend is bloody fantastic. Read that first.

do you cum on any of your books, preferably with your cock

>so and so was stopped by the police with a briefcase full of [vodka and dildos]

wtf lol, who was stopped? dildos existed back then? please post pic of the text if you can remember the page #.

>random house of leaves
Fuckin lost it

Hey, House of Leaves is actually p. good.

I just like the idea of some Slav fervidly studying HoL to try to assimilate into American culture

No I said the context wasn't a direct quote, just the subject matter: the alcohol and dildos, was. I couldn't remember what the actual context was so I just fabricated that for an example of the edgy, seemingly unnecessary quips that were sometimes thrown into the writing.

It's funny to imagine what that would produce. Probably some sperg with a fake valley accent swearing every other word.

Gurgaon here. My sis lives in Mumbai though and she says there's some nice community library/bookstore in Powai. Cheers.

Should have gone Seamus Heaney Beowulf. With a stack like this you're never going to make it. Pleb tier.

Should have saved your $14.

kek.

>to kill a mockingbird
Absolute wank

>You must be over 18 to post

the infamous Peterson poster himself!

just like all american literature

Nice meme. More please.

>dissing Frankenstein

so which of you's going to turn this into a novel

What a fem

>>Taking pictures of her books...