Is my taste shit?

I cannot stop reading pic related. I'll intend to read one chapter and I'll end up reading three, forcing myself to stop because I know that I don't have time for it, and then posting a thread about it anyway. I want to whole fucking world to know about this fanfic. Aside from being absolutely hilarious it's like a Plinkett review in book form, the protag is so relatable that it's like a window in to my fucking soul. It's almost driving me to tears. What can I do about this? I'm feeling nothing but shame.

>Aside from being absolutely hilarious it's like a Plinkett review in book form
Hu, weird, I could've swore that I spoiled that. Now my sentence is ruined.

I'd never heard of it. Just read chapter one and five. Seems like shit? Happy that you enjoy it though user. Nothing wrong with enjoying things. Maybe if I had more nostalgia for Harry Potter, alas.

Yes, you do have shit taste. Power fantasy for Yudkowsky fart sniffing autists. The dialogue between the adults and characters who are ostensibly children almost pushed me over the edge into suicide.

sorry, you have autism

>Power fantasy for Yudkowsky fart sniffing autists

>Seems like shit?
Do tell?

It's average as far as fanfiction goes. Which means it's really bad. The author is an autodidact, with no degree in physics, and it shows - despite that that book is clearly supposed to be didactic it's often not even scientifically accurate. The awful personality of the author permeates the whole book in fact, there is no real difference between what the protagonist thinks and what the author thinks, which exposes him as a deluded narcissist, who is lazy and amoral yet somehow convinced that "he could save the world but he has a condition where he can't bring himself to do stuff, no not just laziness, it's a byproduct of my immense intellect". I'm paraphrasing, but that's more or less the exact quote. His dysfunctional ideas about human relationships make any interactions in the book laughably unrealistic, it's like what an deeply disturbed autist would write. The book is interspersed with awful attempts at comedy, complete with even a laugh track in the form of over the top reactions from characters, who somehow find his humor debilitatingly funny. After you manage to get through the thousands of pages of this shit you are treated to an ass pull where the protagonist, while naked and surrounded, manages to come up with a plan, which enables him to kill every single Death Eater and Voldemort himself.

>As of June 2012, my poly dance card is mostly full at the moment (one primary, two other relationships). Message me anyway if you want to be notified when my dance card is less full. Ignore any temptation to passively wait for me to notice you, that rarely works in real life and never over the Internet.

>I've noticed that a lot of aspiring-rationalist females seem very shy and underconfident for one reason or another; so let me state here you shouldn't worry about disqualifying yourself or thinking that I'm not accessible to you. Don't decide on other people's behalf that they'll say no to you. Just decide whether you'd say yes yourself. Test experimentally what happens when you try asking directly for what you want - that's Empiricism. This advice applies any time you prefer the state of affairs where you sleep with a guy to not sleeping with him, and also to life in general.

>If you're a student of transhumanism and rationality, sexually masochistic, and we have any overlap of literary taste or other interests, then contact me regardless of my full dance card - we may have a chance of building a new primary relationship together.

>Though I'm also cool with trophy collection, if you only want to sleep with me once so you can tell your grandchildren.

I read this and wanted to go through it to laugh at misapplied physics issues but if this is a real excerpt , I think I'd vomit before I found any

>doubting yidkowsky
Tremble in awe at his scientific prowess
that's actually his okcupid profile iirc

>i mean that their theoretical and pragmatic efficacy are not subject to metabolic disprivilege
>using both pragmatic and theoretical in a colloquial retard sense in the same sentence because you are too big of a psud to say "practical"
hold me back

Friendly reminder that this community also wrote "My Little Pony: Friendship is Optimal"

Friendly reminder that this community came up with Roko's Basilisk.

Friendly reminder that this community promotes polyamory almost as a requirement.

Yudkowsky's "rationalist" singularity cult has long since evolved into a full fledged religion, a religion for tech nerds and updated for the modern era. It's a fascinating phenomenon to study.

>inhuman willpower
>famine conditions
>metabolically privileged
>exercise doesn't work on my muscles

>I will delete comments suggesting diet or exercise
Jesus I'm losing my shit over here
This is exactly the kind of person I can imagine reading a children's fantasy series and saying "I really wish these whimsical English teenage wizards made decisions with nothing but cold logic and rational thought that would make a Matlab program look like a Rupi Kaur poem"

Just read the Kingkiller Chronicles. Yudkowsky's Harry is just a carbon copy with Kvothe with his shitty rationality baked in and much, much worse writing.

>"My Little Pony: Friendship is Optimal"
You have my full autistic interest. Continue.

idk much about Yudkowsky but the singularity idea has always scared me.

Why do I get the feeling that my enjoyment of HPMOR is increased by the fact that outside of Roko's Basilisk, I've never heard of Yudkowsky?

He's still come up with the single best argument against P-zombies I've ever heard.

because you don't see it as the autistic fanfiction that it is, you give it the benefit of the doubt, that the author knows what he's doing and you give into his deluded fantasy

P-zombies?

How Can Other People Be Real If They Could Be Just IllusionsI Am The Only Intelligent Being In Existence

i read a bit of it once. have you gotten to the part where 10 year olds start threatening to rape each other? or the part where the sorting hat, in the middle of a comedy sequence, offhandedly announces that it sometimes detects rape pregnancies in the little children it tests? i have no familiarity with the harry potter fanfiction scene so i guess a barely concealed obsession with child rape might be considered normal there.

>offhandedly announces that it sometimes detects rape pregnancies in the little children it tests?
what DID he mean by this?

>actually thinking Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres is a "relatable" character
Jesus Christ, I feel sorry for you.
Read some decent fanfic at least.

I didn't read it, but it seems like not even the YA-head qts from my goodreads friendlist like it. All gave it 1*. I guess it has to be really really bad.
Nice bait tho

>have you gotten to the part where 10 year olds start threatening to rape each other?
No? Unless you're referring to the Luna rape line.

>or the part where the sorting hat, in the middle of a comedy sequence, offhandedly announces that it sometimes detects rape pregnancies in the little children it tests?
I'm pretty sure that was in an omake chapter.

Do tell? I think that could be the main draw for me.

So I get that the author and his community is clearly shit and I get that the protag is a stand in for the author, but does that automatically make the protag bad? There seems to be some introspection in this, e.g. the stuff about how Harry sometimes talks like an abused child or pretty much anything in the chapters with the Sorting Hat.

So you're saying that I'll stop enjoying it later on?

Here's a list I posted on a few HP threads:

Personal favorites
>After the End
>Aunt Marge's Even Bigger Mistake
>The Changeling
>On the Way to Greatness
>A Long Journey Home

Bretty gud
>Hermione Granger: Demonologist
>Applied Cultural Anthropology
>Resurrexit
>Ectomancer
>The Unforgiving Minute
>Strangers at Drakeshaugh
>Wand And Shield
>Backwards with Purpose

Decent romance
>Unlike A Sister
>The Augurey
>The Never-Ending Road
>Turn by Sarasgirl
>Grow Young With Me
>Vox Corporis

>no A Black Comedy
>no The Strange Disappearance of SallyAnne Perks
>no By the Divining Light
>no Forging the Sword
no The Shadow of Angmar

what the fuck
oh well, takes all sorts...

>to the Luna rape line
>there exists somebody who read a 10 year old saying this and thought nothing of it:

>"As soon as I'm old enough I'm going to rape her."
>"After I'm found not guilty the Lovegood family has to pay reparations for tarnishing my honor. And they know from the start that's how it'll go, so they'll just keep their mouths shut."
>"But anyway, it's always smarter if it doesn't go to the Aurors at all. If we're careful only to do things that Healing Charms can fix, we can just Obliviate her afterwards and then do it all again next week." Then the blonde-haired boy giggled, a youthful high-pitched sound. "Though just imagine her saying she'd been done by Draco Malfoy and the Boy-Who-Lived, not even Dumbledore would believe her."

I'm not really seeing the problem with a 10 year old male aristocrat saying this. Yes it's evil, but it's not unbelievable.

That's solipsism.

I secretly learned all that I know about that from reading nineteen-eighty-four.

It's easily in the top 10 most entertaining books I've read.

Why?

I read the whole thing as it was coming out. As long as you don't consider it serious, it can be fun. Yeah, the author himself is being serious, but he's a fag.

>no Black Luminary

Because it causes the exact same feelings as winning arguments on Veeky Forums.

Emm, what?

Yes, your taste is irredeemably shit.

It's positivist wank, but not even the good kind of positivist wank. It's a diatribe where nobody who thinks differently to the author is ever given a fair hearing.

>does that automatically make the protag bad
No, being shockingly badly written makes him bad.

He has no motivation other than to navigate the plot of the books as set out by Rowling except being a totally badass "rationalist" and solving all of his problems with "science" (read: magic) instead of magic while slapping down all of the "canon" characters with lengthy monologues.

He's got no conflict, no goal, no relatibility, and he's not even entertaining.

>He has no motivation other than to navigate the plot of the books
Reread the exchange with Draco, namely the one where raping Luna is mentioned. Harry absolutely does have a goal.

>It's a diatribe where nobody who thinks differently to the author is ever given a fair hearing.
Trips confirm, but what are you examples? I can't remember seeing this.

Yes, your taste is shit, since you like fanfiction of one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>no My Immortal

based

Don't listen to the haters, I liked it up until Master Yud started flogging one of his hobbyhorses in a way that made it too obvious that the world he made existed solely to be convenient for his worldview. That probably took several hundred pages though. The precocity of the kids was also dumb but just pretend they're a little older, I guess.

Friendship Is Optimal was actually good though.

It's meant to show that Malfoy is being subjected to some seriously negative influences via his evil-aristocrat culture.

>people who I communicate with on Veeky Forums have read enough Harry Potter fan fiction to the point where they can make recommendation lists

this, when I was a teenager I loved to read but I had enough of a presence of mind so that I started with the greeks
I already abhorred genre fiction with all my heart as a prepubescent child, and decided to learn greek and latin so that one day, when I'm ready, I would be able to read the originals

you see, this is how I never touched a genre fiction book in my life, no sir!

Welcome to heaven.

Have to agree with this, but also I read the whole thing

Veeky Forums start with the greeks is a meme, people are actually starting with Harry Potter fan fictions

This isn't about not reading genre fiction, it's about not reading shitty derivative genre fiction by people who feel no shame about writing shitty derivative genre fiction. And it's also largely about not reading shitty derivative genre fiction so much you can make recommendations about it.
I'm sorely if I triggered some much needed shame and you reacted by lashing out.

What's wrong with escapism nigga, this isn't an analytic philosophy board

Yeah but there's escapism that wouldn't make your family and friends embarrassed to know you. One should probably read that.

>implying I have friends

Maybe it's because you read fan fiction.

Details?

When do we even have HP threads?