Sherlock Holmes

ITT: any takes on any Holmes story.

I've recently started reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and I've fucking loved it. So let's have a Conan Doyle discussion.

>bitch ass dude doesn't like to swear
prissy cunt eh?
Whatcha think of it, OP? I've considered diving into a collection I have, been burning out on translations and only want to read works natively written in english, and I wondered what the quality of Doyle's writing is. I imagine it's a pretty fun series, does it feel at all like you're eating McDonalds, or bingeing on pleb fare?

I actually don't think I've ever seen anything as pretentious as this.

It's very readable, if you understand what I'm going for. The short stories are all around 22 pages long and are wrapped up satisfactorily. Some of it actually looks quite deeply into characters, but it's implicit, which is definitely the sort of writing I'd prefer when reading short detective fiction. For example, there is very little interaction between Holmes and Irene Adler, but people have written whole articles on their relationship based on the scraps we have on each of them (Holmes only calling her 'THE woman', "She is on a much higher level than Your Highness", etc.) Basically I'd recommend starting with A Scandal in Bohemia and if you're unsure, move on to The Red-Headed League - both in Adventures.

Would you read them to your kids? Sherlock's a heroin addict for one, I loved them as a kid

That sort of shit goes straight over kids' heads, and by the time they're old enough to question it, they won't really care anyway. I'd say the best way to handle the "what's morphine?" sort of questions is the truth, but that's just the sort of parent I'd be. Perhaps that's wrong of me and maybe my tune will change if I become a parent, but yes, as it stands, I'd definitely read these to my kids. Short, to the point and usually very fun.

Coke

Both, actually:
>Which is it today, cocaine or morphine?

I still think The Hound of the Baskervilles is a masterpiece for it's genre.

Could just say it's like his medicine which isn't far from the truth

When I was young enough that I needed my mom to read stories to me, Holmes wouldn't have appealed to me generally. I read them all when I was probably ten or eleven. Never done coke or smack, either.

Why is sherlock depicted as a drug user/addict?

because he really used cocaine & morphine, in Victorian times it was completely legal, such as cigs today
>the main reason he used such "substances" was as he said:
to escape from “the dull routine of existence.”

And for arranging his thoughts or something I think

I've read A Study In Scarlet, The Hound Of The Baskervilles, and about half a dozen of the short stories. The short stuff is better. The novels washed over me and have been forgotten, but I still remember the Red-Headed League, A Scandal In Bohemia, etc.

They were fun novels to read, but completely overrated. Around the time they were written, articles about crime were gaining popularity fast. Which is why there were a shit ton of crime/mystery novels around the era.

>>Conan was considered mediocre by his family standards of success.
>>He saw that crime was gaining the interest of London.
>>Based his character off of a pretentious sailor who could "read" a persons history just by looking at their clothing and hearing their accent.
>>Regretted his creation 20 years later.
>>Killed off his creation.
>>Caused a Giant uproar in London where there were protests. Even the Queen got involved.
>>He was forced to write more Sherlock
>>Died unable to create anything that would surpass Sherlocks shadow.

His creativity did pave the way for mystery novels. But I blame them for glamorizing arrogance.

Entertaining in general, though some of the stories are completely retarded.

Watching Jeremy Brett play Sherlock is more fun than reading the books desu.

All 4 of those are amazing. I love Sherlock Holmes.

>4
bruh it's most definitely 3