>age
>location
>current book you're reading and how you like it

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2012/06/04/the-clockwork-condition.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>18
>South Italy
>the Gepard

Oh I like it a lot, there's a nice quote that says Morphine is a vulgar substitute of Stoicism. Also being able to read it in Italian helps I guess

Frocioooo

>25
>Midwest US
>Meditations on the Peaks
Very small it will only take me two days to read. Evola seems more paternal and optimistic in this instead of a edgelord.

Va a votare negro

US east coast
The Federalist Papers

Boring af, but very informative of the thought at the time.

Coglioneeeee

>21
>Slovenija
>The Arabian Nights, translated by Husain Haddawy.

I'm enjoying them very much.

>22
>Philippines
>Vollman's Rainbow stories

Digging it.

Near Sydney, Australia

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

I'm enamoured by the dreamlike writing of Conrad as Marlowe recounts his time in the Congo. Half way through and very impressed with the historical allusions, but my penguin edition rapes the footnotes which is fucking stupid. i'm talking `60 footnotes each chapter explaining anything a 12 year old might not understand

>18
>New Zealand
>The Collected Short Stories of Roald Dahl -- amazing wit

Texas
Steven King's The Shining. I like it okay, has a little bit of filler, but I like it.

Brazil
If a traveler on a winter night. But I stopped, because my mom discovered a brain cancer at the end of February. Now I'm only to her :/

>19, almost 20
>CA
>After Virtue

I'm liking it; I'm a layman when it comes to philosophy and this book is still pretty damn readable and that is wonderful. It's basically shitting on Hume, Kierkegaard, and Kant, mostly. The book is saying that the Enlightenment drove us away from Aristotelian ethics and all philosophies have been trying to establish a rational basis for their moral beliefs even though telos was eliminated. So it's a losing fight not adopting Aristotelian ethics as the basis for our beliefs.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they just want to make the book look longer. Fantastic book though.

I feel for you brasil user :/

>18
>canada
> IT by stephen king

Babylon
Being and Time

its a good read, people who find it boring are subhuman

FL
The Epic of Gilgamesh

Doesn't have much in the way of deeper meaning, but it's a great read in hindsight realising how much of an effect it has had on Homers epics.

Also the bible was plagiarised.

>19
>London
>Platform by Houellebecq

I really enjoyed Whatever and Atomised, which made me cry, so I was curious as if this would be better. So far its been disappointing.

>29
>UK
>The Great Railway Bazaar: By Train Through Asia
Really enjoying it but I do like trains and travel

>15
The absolute state of Veeky Forums

norway
Domain of Arnheim by Poe

Sweden
Might be the best book I've read so far

>33
>New Orleans
>Turn The Ship Around
It has it's virtues.

Belgium
Journey to the End of the Night
Unsure if I like or dislike, but that's probably the intended effect

Australia
Resurrection
It's a bit preachy but still enjoyable

Submission is a genuinely good read and the only one of his I’ve read yet. Should I read atomised next?

Baltimore
Canterbury Tales

anyone that states anything more than their actual age when asked "How old are you?" might as well be 7. Just know that when you say 'x but almost y' or 'x and a half', people will be thinking you're a puerile pseud.

>19
>Las Vegas
>The Sun Also Rises
Just finished book 1. Only complaints are I'm ready for Jake to leave Paris and, at times, the choppy prose has been distracting. Worth the time spent reading thus far.

>32
>TX
>Thomas Hobbes-Leviathan

Having trouble finding Hobbes's "voice" (for lack of a better term), so it's a rough read so far.

Argentina
Moby Dick
I'm fucking loving it

> 24
> Vancouver BC
> William Gaddis' The Recognitions

Sometimes Gaddis thinks what he's writing is a lot more interesting than it actually is but so far I'm enjoying it a lot. Good characters, good humor, good writing

Also, any good Canadian writing reccs? I've got Atwood and Munro on my list but I'm a hipster piece of shit and they feel a little old school to me

>32
>northern Louisiana
>A Clockwork Orange
the slang is not as difficult to pick up on as I was lead to believe it would be. I really wish I had not seen the movie before--it was a good decade ago yet so much of it is still very clear in my mind.

>26
>Nova Scotia
>It by Stephen King

Pretty good book, about 3/4 through it. I enjoy good horror, and the lovecraftian odds of ordinary people taking on an ancient unknowable evil definitely keeps things interesting.

Themes of the loss of innocence and confronting one’s fears are relatable and useful. Prose is serviceable.

I get distracted recently though as my gf (probably ex now) bought it for me and we are in a pretty bad fight right now. She’s probably going to leave me. Works decently as a distraction from my stress, but looking at the book does make me remorseful.

>25
>PA
>On the Beach by Nevil Shute
I just finished another book, so I'm not far enough into it to form a real opinion.

>20
>southern florida
>Nausea by Sartre
Its okay so far

Where in PA? I just drove across half the state from Cresson back home to Baltimore, MD.

>tfw I don't live in Miami Beach
I hate it desu

>20
>devner
>pic related
it's not awful but not great either, and it's typeset like a YA book for some reason. oscillating between cringing and earnestly enjoying it

>18
>NJ
>Life and opinions of Tristram Shandy
Most enjoyable read I have ever had

>19
>Canadaria
>The Last Tribe
It's pretty good desu, I enjoy post apocalyptic themes and it conveys the loneliness of such very well

after you're done read this newyorker.com/magazine/2012/06/04/the-clockwork-condition. It was in the back of my edition. Burgess intended to expand the work into a book called "the clockwork condition" but he just released it as an essay after all the controversy surrounding the movie adaptation. I feel sorry for people who didn't experience the orgasmic pleasure of reading that right after finishing the book.

New Orleans
Under the Volcano
Dense at times but beautiful prose. Difficult to maintain attention. Can see how it influenced other writers.

Roll wave

The Shining has the best opening sentence, I also think I read the edition in your book back in junior high.

Anyways.
>28
>Iowa
>Dune Messiah
The details are interesting but jack shit is going on. Oo wow, I got a midget now.

>34
>New York
>Of Human Bondage

I am enjoying it. I had previously read The Razor's Edge and enjoyed Somerset Maugham's style. I'm hoping this doesn't devolve into a treatise on eastern religion as The Razor's Edge did.

I live on the opposite side of miami senpai. In ft myers

>23
>DC
>The Discreet Hero by Mario Varas Llosa

What part?

>18
>Lolita
probably my favorite book. Nabokov’s prose is delicious.

Oh forgot, I’m located in WA

Fuck yeah I love HoD. Everything you said is why I like Condrad’s writing as well.

Had the same thoughts, it does get immediately better after Paris.

>18
>Texas
>The Idiot
Better than C&P, loving every bit of it but admittedly still reading for experience/foundation.

>21
>Brazil, São Paulo
>Guide for the Perplexed, Maimonides
It's very interesting.

kys

Portland, OR
Blood Meridian by McCarthy

Enjoying it very well but I feel like some sections regarding the characters' travel go on a bit too long.

>21
>Mexico
>The Wind Up Bird Chronicle
I just finished it actually, pretty enjoyable
any recommendations on what I should read next?

> 22
> nyc
> The Good Soldier Schweik - Jaroslav Hasek

It's hilarious. I have little educational or cultural context for early 20th century eastern europe, so a lot of the subtext is likely being lost on me, but I'm enjoying it.

Tennessee
Puck of Pook's Hill
Very comfy, makes me wish I was born in some small British village.

>18
>Sweden
>1984
I'm 34 pages in and I like it a lot so far. I like how it doesn't tell you anything directly but there's plenty of idea when you put yourself into the text. I recall a funny sentence too, roughly translated from swedish maybe it's different in the original, "The ministry of peace, which handles war."

The film is very very good if you have the time for it.

> 18
> Manhattan
> catch 22
Pretty funny desu

I take what I said back, the book starts strong and is now currently declining

:( Something similar happened to me last month

Take care friend

>41
>Delta of Venus, Anais Nin
>Oakland, California

Isn't it a bit hot living in the delta of Venus?

> 23
> Austin, Tx
> Claudius the God, it’s the sequel to I Claudius, I love the long winded prose and subtle dry quips, feels elegant while being just self aware enough to avoid pretension

> 18
> Texas
> 1984

So far it’s just a lot of sex and complaining about the government

It doesn’t get better, Orwell is crap

It’s depressing, Celine was in fact French, but enjoyable to be sure

>23
>Ireland

Just finished Infinite Jest tonight, when I wake up I start Siddharta. It'll be good to start something a little shorter.

>27
>nyc
>Portnoy's Complaint

Lots of jacking off. 9/10, would recommend

Just finished that, comfy book

>24
>Montreal QC
>We Need to Talk About Kevin

Canadian writing fucking sucks. It says a lot that Atwood is one of our most well known writers

>22
>Macedonia (kill me)
>Macbeth

Dafuq, why is 90% of this subreddit Murican?

>19
>Southeast Alaska
>Ulysses
I'm reading it w/o prerequisites aside from his previous novel and his short stories. Enjoying it so far for the prose itself instead of the allusions. Rather lucid and manageable with plenty of beauty and originality. Kinch's still relatable, Buck's cool, and the flowery language flows. Feels refreshing after having just stopped reading IJ by DFW. Both dense but I much prefer Joyce's prose and characters, themes and location. Perhaps it's because I'm past my sad days and the joys of Joyce are amazing rather than austerely labyrinthine. I'll return to Jest eventually, after all, there were some good jokes here and there.

>21
>Chile
>The picture of Dorian Gray
Very homo desu

What is it like being so close to death?

>26
>MN
>The Silmarillion

I'm half a page in because I get easily distracted, seems nice though

>31
>s.e. u.s.a.
>collected novellas of Ursula Leguin
She is very good, but not groundbreaking in any way, so I would not say great.

The best defense is putting any dissenters in complete fear of their actions

>Belgium
What’s that country like? I would like to visit it someday.

I'm not from Belgium. I was there for 2 days during summer last year, I was in Gent, probably my favorite place in Europe despite my short stay. Really cozy

>41
I wonder how oldfags feel when they see something like "my diary desu"

Switzerland is 100% the comfiest in Europe, that or Luxembourg

I wanna go now
Switzerland is my favorite country, definitely on my bucket list to visit.
>tfw no Swiss bf

Really expensive, but for sure worth visiting. I'm going back someday. The Alps and how the language changed from north, South, east and west. Just awesome

>20
>Morocco
>Mrs dalloway

I like the prose, couldn't care less about the plot

How you liking it? I love Macbeth, especially the supernatural stuff, hope to see it on stage some day

They are probably the ones posting it, much like the 40s women on facebook post shitty minion memes

>this many non-whites posting in a literature board
the absolute state of Veeky Forums

We're a civic nationalist board.

>/pol/ lacky posting
The absolute state of Veeky Forums. I miss Marx.

>tfw I'm 24 and from Vancouver, BC, too
woah

anyways I'm reading Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger and I'm really liking it so far. I started it after a major reading slump (last book I read in its entirety was in October) and I wanted something similar to A Farewell to Arms, which I read about a year ago and really enjoyed.

>28
>Denmark
>Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Trilogy

I'm beginning to understand why so many great authors are in awe by Peake and are so deeply influenced by Gormenghast. Never read anything this nuanced and fantastic before. Truly a joy.

>18
>Croatia
>The Divine Comedy/Augustine's Confessions

>20
>Singapore
>1984

>19
>Oklahoma
>Finnegan's Wake and Honor Harrington
Harrington is pretty good, although Manticore is way too OP. James Joyce is a fucking hack, Faulkner is a million times better.

>23
>budapest, hungary
>charles dickens - bleak house
I love it, recently moved to fiction as all my life i spent reading history/philosophy.

(you)