Musil's "The Man Without Qualities"

Has anyone on Veeky Forums read this book? Thoughts? What am I getting myself in for? (Reading in german btw)

Pardon me for thinking that Veeky Forums would like to discuss anything book related. My bad.

you are pardoned

I haven't yet read Man Without Qualities but I enjoyed Young Törless. Don't get too butthurt especially when your thread is a generic "what am I in for?" post. Why don't you read the book first and find out, then at least you'll be able to participate in discussion, as well as come to the board with your own fresh opinions and impressions, instead of shit you read.

I'm going to read to this just for you. Wait for me

>butthurt
>young törless
heh

tfw never live that book irl..

a masterpiece

I read about 100 pages of the first book and it was mediocre. Some guy lives in a house, talks about something for like 20 pages, a doctor maybe or some shit, goes to visit some dude and his wife, they go for a walk. That's it.

I'm posting on Veeky Forums so I obviously don't read books, but that title always gives me the feels

check the archive next time, faggot

literally

me

sounds great desu

You're just a pleb

it's bait

I'm reading it right now.
The prose seems really dense for my small brain to decipher.
Musil has an amazing talent for being sensitive and able to emphasize with the thoughts and motivations of his characters.
The book really captures the Zeitgeist of this time period.

Read a quarter of it a while back. Seemed dull and pessimistic, brought no new ideas to keep me engaged despite that, so it was a slog.

War time German literature is shit-tier pessimism.

This shit is so dense, it took me more than 2 hours to read a 15 pages chapter last week.
So far as I can tell he captures very well the general confusion of his time but the result is a confusing book (duh).

pessimistic?? lol but why

kek

I'm currently reading it, it's fantastic. I've given up trying to read it in German (I'm learning)

Tried to read it in Spanish. I just zone out. Maybe sometime in the future.

There is no man without qualities. The man in the photograph has many qualities, like brown hair, for example.

read it completly in german (native) from october to january. i loved it. the language is beautiful. just dont expect anything from the plot.

Kinda jealous about you reading it in german. Us french people have a wonderful translation by poet extraordinaire Philippe Jaccottet. Sublime, too.

>and ignoring Canetti for the rest of his life
Haha... wow.

hola carlos

Hello, my dude. Keep it up.

It's like you've never posted on Veeky Forums before. Nobody ever responds to "hey should I read this book?" or "hey I just started this book can I have a gold star?" type threads.

>Don't get too butthurt especially when your thread is a generic "what am I in for?" post. Why don't you read the book first and find out, then at least you'll be able to participate in discussion, as well as come to the board with your own fresh opinions and impressions, instead of shit you read.
This.