Help me choose the correct bible to read

Not a theist (no disrespect to theists). So much has been influenced by the Bible. It seems like such an essential read if you have a real interest in literature.

I'm also interested in a good companion to the bible to read as well.

KJB

Pick God's version, the one He wrote

king james for english literature.
douay rheims for catholic exegesis

^

>douay rheims for catholic exegesis
lol

that matters for a lot of the 20th C entry level writers like waugh, spark, greene, et al. because their use of terms is specifically Catholic. majesty doesn't mean the same thing when you're reading about catholics in england as protestants in england.

there's a lot of linguistic shibboleths between the two, especially in england, scotland and ireland, and if you're reading anything from those countries, some awareness of these things will allow you to see more layers in the text.

Never mind, you're talking about something different than most people who suggest the Douay-Rheims. I think a person would be better served by reading a theological book, though, rather than an entire obsolete Bible translation.

>be better served by reading a theological book

I'm taking suggestions.

Ignore anyone that recommends the KJV because they're talking out of their ass. They hear other knuckleheads talking about it influencing the English language and they repeat it thinking it means something. The bible is hard enough to understand so make things easier on yourself and get something modern that's easy to read and doesn't contain some of the stupid and misleading mistakes that the KJV does. I prefer the original RSV-CE but it truly doesn't matter.

Hard Sayings by Trent Horn was one of the most useful books I've read while reading the Old Testament. Grab the Ignatius Study Bible for the New Testament. Scott Hahn has some individual guides for some OT books and if you can only afford one, get the one for Genesis. He also has some biblical dictionaries and guides and another useful one is his compilation of essays that deal with historical criticism.

Peter Kreeft is another writer that I like. Start with You Can Understand the Bible.

The Venerable Fulton Sheen says, "Read the New English Bible!"

NKJV

>You shouldn't read the KJV
>Read these Catholic translations and Catholic authors instead
What a surprise

The KJV is beautiful though. I think everyone should at least have a copy. If you're reading the Bible for the first time or if you want clarity and good scholarship read a more contemporary version, but I think the KJV deserves to be read as its own text too.
>trent horn and peter kreeft
:)

Yeah I wouldn't recommend protestant authors because I think they can mislead people from the truth. I don't recommend protestant translations either because they're usually missing some books that belong in the canon.

The Quran

OP isn't a theist so I doubt he has any use for your religious biases.

I strictly want to read it due to it's influence on literature.

OP clearly says he wants it for _literature_. For English lit, those are the two you need and the Douay-Rheims isn't as necessary as the KJV [I'm a trad catholic, unlike the LARPers who will freak out over the history of literature and the Church and protestants]
>entire obsolete Bible translation
It's not obsolete and you don't read all of it. Douay set out the bible with much the same reasoning as Tyndall [who translated most of the KJV and is responsible for most of the more famous literary phrases that wound up in the KJV]; it's designed to inform in English. But since the Catholic Church has specific dogma and doctrines and interpretations attached, it is annotated with the official interpretation of major passages and phrases, and contains a dictionary of terms. It is perfect for what OP is looking for from literature, and you're talking out of your ass as much as the trad LARPers who infest threads like this.

If he wants to read the Russians he needs John of the Ladder and a few other texts of a theological bent, not a specific Bible, especially if he's reading in English, I'd agree with you there, but for Biblical/religious influence in the English language, the top two set translations are the early ones that most writers from history read: the KJV, and to a much lesser extent, the Douay Rheims.

The KJV didn't influence language the way people think it did. It's not Shakepeare. You may find one or two English phrases that has its root in the language of the KJV but that's it.

A law unto themselves
A man after his own heart
A stumbling block
A thief in the night
A thorn in the flesh
All these things must come to pass
All things to all men
And the word was made flesh
At their wit's end
Be fruitful and multiply
Born again
Bottomless pit
By their fruits ye shall know them
Charity shall cover the multitude of sins
Crumbs which fall from ... table
Death, where is thy sting
Den of thieves
Dreamer of dreams
Eat, drink and be merry
Eye for an eye
Fallen from grace
Fatted calf
Fell by the way side
Fell flat on his face
Fell on stony ground
Fight the good fight
From strength to strength
Get thee behind me
Give up the ghost
God forbid
Holier than thou
Honour thy father and mother
How are the mighty fallen
In the twinkling of an eye
Land of Nod
Led as a sheep to the slaughter
Left hand know what thy right hand doeth
Let my people go
Let there be light
Love thy neighbour as thyself
Milk and honey
Money is the root of all evil
My brother's keeper
My name is legion
New wine into old bottles
No room for them in the inn
Out of the mouths of babes
Physician, heal thyself
Put the words in her mouth
Scapegoat
Seek and ye shall find
Set thine house in order
Sheep's clothing
Suffer fools gladly
Take root
The blind lead the blind
The last shall be first
The leopard [change] his spots
The lost sheep
The powers that be
The signs of the times
The skin of my teeth
The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak
They know not what they do
Thou shalt not bear false witness
To give than to receive
Turn to him the other [cheek]
Turned the world upside down
Two are better than one
Two-edged sword
Vengeance is mine
Wandering stars
White as snow
Woe is me

It is indeed obsolete. It is no longer used except in "traditionalist" circles, which are being suppressed. It isn't approved for use in the English mass. It isn't even the basis of liturgical translations anymore; instead the Church uses the Nova Vulgata, which is a new Latin translation into a more classical style. Likewise modern Catholic Bible translations are translated directly from the Greek and Hebrew, rather than translations of translations. At this point the Douay-Rheims is basically a historical artifact. I get that it lets you LARP and pretend that you're a medieval monk or something, but none of that exists anymore.

You could make a case for the popularization of those phrases but not the creation.

>It is indeed obsolete. It is no longer used except in "traditionalist" circles, which are being suppressed
It is used for literature. Which is what OP is talking about.
>It isn't approved for use in the English mass.
And traditionalists don't use it for their Latin mass. You're so obsessed with religion you can't see this is a LITERATURE thread, about how to interpret novels which rely on these texts, whether the author believed in God or not. Most of the books OP could read are by dead people who weren't alive at V2, you dumbass.

Yes the creation because he's the first incidence of most of them in English and they replaced phrases natural to English before his translation or the publishing of the KJV. Crying about history won't change it, sorry little buddy.

>It is used for literature. Which is what OP is talking about.
And yet it is obsolete in practical religious use. Given that fact, as well as the vastly greater influence of the KJV, actually recommending the Douay-Rheims to people is absurd.
>And traditionalists don't use it for their Latin mass.
Who said that they did? You're not even following what I'm saying.
>You're so obsessed with religion you can't see this is a LITERATURE thread, about how to interpret novels which rely on these texts, whether the author believed in God or not. Most of the books OP could read are by dead people who weren't alive at V2, you dumbass.
And people have already told him what he should read, and it isn't the translation-of-a-translation your sect uses.

They were already in the English lexicon because they can be found in other places that predate the KJV like the Coverdale Bible, the first English translation. Your pet translation isn't special and you're wasting thee and thous time.

It's not worth arguing with the """""Catholics""""" that post here.

>And yet it is obsolete in practical religious use.
Not for home use by traditionalist Catholics, but also not for OP who is not Catholic or religious at all. You fucking idiot, you're the one who wants this to be about religion: it's not, you're on a literature board, and fucking ignorant about literature.

I'm recommending KJV above Douay Rheims, even though that is a protestant heretic work with different verse and chapter ordering to my religious use bible, because it's a fucking literature thread.

Do you not know what a fucking novel is, you complete and utter retard?

>hey were already in the English lexicon because they can be found in other places that predate the KJV like the Coverdale Bible, the first English translation. Your pet translation isn't special and you're wasting thee and thous time.
My he is Tyndall and he's the first instance of most of those, not Coverdale.

>Bawww my minority sect that's been suppressed for half a century uses this translation so that means it's still important :(((
The idea that the Catholic recommendations in this thread are not religious recommendations is ridiculous. See . Also see your own post about the KJV being a heretical work. There's no reason to recommend the Douay-Rheims to people other than being a "traditionalist" "Catholic" and that's the version you personally use in religious practice. Trying to say that I'm the one injecting religion into this is hilarious.

Douay–Rheims, the most accurate English translation of the Vulgate, the bible Christianity was based upon.

>Do you not know what a fucking novel is, you complete and utter retard?
It's like you think the best ones were written post 1960 and that post 1960, authors got really into bible references, more so than the before.
>See
He's as dumb as you.
>Also see your own post about the KJV being a heretical work.
It is, that does not mean it's not important for literature and OP's needs. It's the perfect thing for what OP wants.
>There's no reason to recommend the Douay-Rheims
Except all the authors who used it for hundreds of years when writing biblical Catholic allusions. So, yeah, if you want to read Catholic and Protestant authors who uses those texts, those are the two top translations which those authors would use.

Likewise, in English, Fitzgerald's 2nd Edition of the Rubyiiat, though not the best translation in English, because of its popularity with authors, is the text in English used to refer to Khayyam.

You're trying to argue against the fact that it's highly relevant to OP's atheistic request to recommend him both those bibles and for literary reasons, and you're trying to do it on the basis of religion because you know fuck all about religion but talk to idiots on the internet about it more than you talk to anyone about literature in general or on the internet. Go to a board that isn't about literature if you find yourself unable to understand something that should have been explained to you in middle school English.

I had no idea this thread would start this kind of drama.

I'll pick up the KJB. It should suit my needs.

I would recommend NIV. Most popular version, most churches in the US use it as well. The language is easier to digest.

Eh, sugarcoats too much, ESV is the way to be

> obsolete
You didn’t say the KJV was obsolete. Spotted the prot.

Anyway, OP should read the Ignatius Study Bible.

> minority sect
> literally one of the largest organisations in earth
This is your mind in sola scriptura.

ITT

ESV you monkey.

Good choice, OP. for catholic authors, you can just look up drbo.org and see if there's a note to the passage if it doesn't make sense. the other thing you need to keep in mind is that kjv and douay have different verse and chapter numbers and books- the main thing that trips people up is this, and there are some differences with orthodoxy as well. it means that for catholic and protestants the ten commandments are split differently- committing the fifth for a catholic is committing murder, while for a protestant it's adultery; the neck verse people memorised for benefit of clergy in the latin vulgate numbering is psalm 50, but for kjv it's psalm 51. there are a few commonly quoted verses where the words uses indicate a catholic or protestant too: someone who reads douay rheims will say "if i have not charity then i am become as sounding brass" but a protestant or modern translation reader might say "if i have not love" or even "love of my fellow man" since the greek is agape, and douay is based on latin vulgate

sorry it's honouring your parents not adultery for protestants/greek based translation

kek

That's probably the most accurate cartoon I've ever seen on here