So I've stayed off Veeky Forums since beginning IJ out of fear of getting it spoiled. Tonight I finished it...

So I've stayed off Veeky Forums since beginning IJ out of fear of getting it spoiled. Tonight I finished it. What do you think of it guys? I loved it, but I understand if others gave up halfway through.

>I hate irony, so I'm gonna write a novel about a sheltered 6'6" Hispanic boy who goes to a school for tennis prodigies and becomes addicted to drugs against the backdrop of a corporate dystopia and with a subplot of Quebecois terrorism, also his ghost dad makes him retarded to save him from being ironic

whoa bro, spoiler

DFW stole that whole fiasco with Avril's dog from National Lampoon's Vacation.

Re-reading it atm. One of the best reading-related decisions I've made. Everything flows and connects so much better. The book's hilarious, well thought-out and I'd say absolutely necessary, in the grand scheme of Important Books

Oh come on dude, I refuse to believe you've actually read the book and have such a cynical attitude

Huh, no way! I wonder how much of it was intended to be picked up on as a direct reference, and not just plagiarism.
Oh absolutely. I read it as slow as possible, as in slower than reading out loud pace. And I'm glad I did, as some bits are so subtle that they'll be in a paragraph an never mentioned again.

wikipedia skimmers not welcome

Randy Lenz and Poor Tony are some of the most interesting depictions of drug addicts in fiction, I think. That whole scene with Poor Tony's withdrawal was just absolutely brutal.

Part of what makes Infinite Jest so great is how David Foster Wallace is able to make such a derogatory umbrella term as "drug addict" become so unique to each of the tenants of Ennet House (for better or for worse).

Can you remind me of what the withdrawal was? Was it him in the bathroom of the public library not leaving?

And yes I agree the dark stuff was always moving without being edgy or indulgent. Poor Ortho Stice, I'm never going near a cold window again.

What is your favorite scene?

Who is your favorite character?

Yep, him being incontinent in the bathroom stall for like a week or something drinking nothing but cough syrup or something like that and hallucinating Time as a wingless bird perched over him.

Also just finished recently. Locally (i.e. on a chapter-to-chapter basis) I loved it. Globally (i.e. trying to understand how everything fits together and what it all meant) it was extremely challenging. And I definitely didn't catch the "projected" ending.

I don't have a literary background (mathfag here; haven't taken a literature course since high school five years ago) and I'm starting to wonder if it's pointless for me to read complex works of literature. That is, I don't want to be like the person who hasn't taken a college-level math class but believes he understands quantum mechanics or different "sizes" of infinity because he watched a youtube video.

Is reading worthwhile if I don't have formal "training"?

I loved the Eschaton chapter. This also killed me.

Dude, just read! If you've read Infinite Jest your a total bookworm, simple as! I'm an English Major grad, and let me tell you, have the people studying aren't even avid readers. You do not need training. It's absolutely nothing to do with intelligence or skill, it's all to do with passion, which you clearly have. You're a reader, simple as.

My favourite scenes are Gomberts take on depression, the story of the abuse on the paraplegic daughter, the dude who loses his job over MASH re runs, and everything to do with Randy Lenz. There aren't any particular scenes to do with Gately or Hal that stand out, I just really understand those characters now.

Oh yeah and Eschaton is incredible as well!

Eschaton chapter was hilarious ngl.

Pemulis is the GOAT

I caught that, too. Do you think it was intentional?

comfy post

Ortho Stice, aka the darkness and Pemulis

I usually wear black clothing, and sometimes I mix it in with something ill fitting a la Pemulis

thank you user

Calm it with the exclamation marks, pipsqueak.

My favorite bit was Don Gatelys description of his trips in that apartment at the end so pathetic and tragic. What was the name of that sleepy girl addict who was always comfy?

When JOI's father lectures him. And eschaton. I-Day as a whole is fantastic.

Favorite character: Pemulis

Kate Gompert?

I’ve read it three times, and am currently running a book club to help a few other ‘non-readers’ get through it. The idea there being that if they can tackle Infinite Jest, and enjoy doing so, they’ll be ready to read most things they encounter in fiction and be able to analyze them. It’s fun to help people develop that kind of habit and thinking; I never had that growing up so it means a lot to get to pay it forward. I love the book. It’s probably my favorite, though I get why people hate it, and I certainly don’t think it’s the ‘best’ book.

When people who’ve read it want to talk, my favorite things to discuss is the character of Mario. If you don’t have an overwhelming love for him then I assume we aren’t compatible on any level. As corny as it may sound, reading and understanding Mario helped me start to *feel* again. I’ve never wanted to jump through the pages and give someone a hug more than I did that kid. No one in that book deserved his company, and I don’t think I did as a reader either.

JOI and his father are BASICALLY Rick and Morty, prove me wrong.
>His dad drinking constantly
>talking about science stuff
>*buuuurrrp*
>h-hilarious stutter, a-a-am I right guys?
>drags him off to do something ridiculous

To answer your question (lit major here): it's not really worth reading if you don't have the prerequisite background. It's sort of like cooking-Gordon Ramsey and Joe Blow down the street can both make a BBQ chicken entrée, but the former has such training, understanding, and familiarity with food, that he can create something infinitely more satisfying.

Likewise with you and your mind w/r/t literature. It's not necessary to follow the "Start with the Greeks" meme, but if you don't have approx. 100 novels under your belt before reading IJ, you're not going to understand half of it. But you could conceivably understand the work at an undergraduate lit student level if you work hard for a few years.

I wish you way more than luck.

Man, I’d have to disagree here. And I’ve read it a few times. Also a lit major.

I think if you go in not trying to understand a 1200 page book holistically and as a plot-driven thing, then you’re fine.

I think the book itself has a lot more to offer to people who aren’t as well-read than people who are. Sure, we can get into the subtext and allusion and deep-root lit stuff, but if the average person sits down and reads the book, I still think they can appreciate it and learn a lot from it.

At the very least, maybe it will kickstart them into getting those 100 novels under their belt.

When Avril is about to have sex with John Wayne dressed up as Orin.

Orin. Pemulis is cool too though.

I thought the gay incest child rape scene was unnecessary.

>What is your favorite scene?
The second chapter. Captured the feeling of addiction so accurately.
>Who is your favorite character?
Mario or Marathe. Pemulis behind them.

its unironically my favorite book
and i thank Veeky Forums every day

>(lit major here)
>reddit citing your undergrad
Doesn't mean shit

found this recently
thought it was worth sharing