Ulysses vs Moby Dick

Which one of them is the greatest novel ever written?

That’s a hell of a comparison. Such different novels

Not really, they’re both modern-day retellings of the Odyssey and written in English. Pretty similar when you get down to it

They're the darlings of Veeky Forums

I haven't read Dick yet but I'm going to assume Ulysses just based off the fact that it's more ambitious. From what I've seen, it seems as great as Dick is it's still told as a traditional story ya? But just very well done. Like Anna Karenina? But Ulysses is an entirely different class. It tells the story but you live the story as well. Ulysses places you in first person view of the reality the protagonists are experiencing. And this is done to such an extent and with so much creativity and innovation that I have to imagine that it's unparalled. Moby Dick sounds to me like a very beautiful novel. Ulysses is something much more unique.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

>MB
>retelling of the Odyssey

>James Joyce invented first person narration

Whose done it better?

Philip K Dick liked cats but he never, as far as I know, had one called "Moby".
A missed opportunity, one feels.

>MB
>M B
>B

Finnegans Wake

It does feel like a Greek epic, especially because of the way it's structured.

I don't disagree but I'd say more Illiad than Odyssey, but it's been over a decade since I've read either so I could be wrong.

>I haven't read Dick yet but I'm going to assume
Ah Veeky Forums.

The Plague, Albert Camus

/thread

epic b8

The Sound and the Fury tbqh.

>haven't read Dick yet
>still told as a traditional story
wrong.

>moby dick
>traditional story

How in the world is Dicky Moe a retelling of Odyssey, user? Do you know something we don't?

Turns out it is actually pic related.

NO IT'S NO-oT!
still breddy gud tho

>turns out
says who? definitely not Veeky Forums, otherwise it would have been one of those two

>Edith Grossman

completely subjective and neither of them would be #1 anyway

What would then?

I haven't read Ulysses yet. Is it a good story worth the effort, or is it shit and a waste of time?

I'm reading the Burton Raffel translation right now. Pretty lit, bro

*блoкиpyeт вaш пyть*

midtier