Worth it?

Worth it?
Thoughts?
Can I put my own e-books in it without amazon going all haywire?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Wilderness-Within-John-Claude-Smith/dp/1945373938/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520310793&sr=1-1&keywords=the wilderness within
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you read alot yes
If you want to use it as a student no

This. Also you can jailbreak it

Just got a Paperwhite last week after posting the same thread. I'm very happy with it and yes you can download shit illegally and shove it in the kindle, the only problem I found with that is that it has no page count.

>that it has no page count.
tap on the lower left corner while reading.

The ones that I download illegally only have location and time left in the book options

>Worth it?
I guess.

>Can I put my own e-books in it without amazon going all haywire?
Yeah, I use calibre. Be advised that sometimes pdf files end up looking really crappy, so it'd be a better idea to load epubs/whatever format amazon uses

As long as you don't mean to use it to quickly peruse books since it fucking sucks at doing that.

>Worth it?
Probably not, get something with epub support and better PDF rendering.
The newer firmware versions cannot be jailbroken as of 5.6.0 so that's a huge deal-breaker.

Get better quality books

I've downloaded 500+ books off libgen. they all have a page count.

I download them from libgen as well. Do you format them in mobi or azw3?

mobi

Weird. I have about 10 and none of them has page count. The free ones from the amazon store do however.
Can you tell me one of your books so I can try, maybe it's just the one I get

if you tap the loc, it rotates through.

Why do you need PDF support?

What do you mean by page count? Page count in the tradiotional sense doesnt make sense for ebooks as the number of pages isnt fixed.

Your reader should support % read out of 100% (or similar).

Paperwhites are wonderful. Downloading free ebooks from the internet + Calibre = le epic win. It's really good for getting into higher-level books because the word lookup feature, instant translation, and Wikipedia connectivity are more helpful than you may think. I haven't used mine in a while though.

Yes.

epub is lossless convertible to azw via a million different means (Calibre being the most convient). Your choice of ebook-reader should depend on other factors (form, display, battery life, need to register to use, waterproof, design, software)

>What do you mean by page count?
>Page 32 of 350

Amazon store kindle editions have this. Libgen downloads don't. Not that it's important, I just thought that I should mention it

>Libgen downloads don't.
there are like, three people telling you they do.

There is one person and he means the % bar which is a different thing

I guess, but the concept of 'pages' is superfluous for an ebook reader. A page only makes sense if the content of said page is fixed, but the beauty of ebook readers is exactly that the content isnt bound to pages. I just checked my own Paperwhite and it looks like the page counter compares where you are with the printed book equivalent, meaning that if you set your font size to gigantic you would be on 'page x' for 100 'screens'.

Btw, all my pirated books have the page number shown in the bottem left corner.

>I just checked my own Paperwhite and it looks like the page counter compares where you are with the printed book equivalent, meaning that if you set your font size to gigantic you would be on 'page x' for 100 'screens'.
Yes, that's it

Yeah, as I said, that number never made sense to me as it depends on which printed version of the book it compares itself to. Page 35/800 (compared to paperback) looks different thant page 5/120 (compared to hardcover) even though they might be the same place in the book. The % bar is way more useful.

Still, all my pirated books show the page# anyways.

I have downloaded e-books from various sites and converted them to either azw3 or mobi (if they weren't already either) and they all have page counts, location and percentage read, cycling through by just tapping the lower left corner.

Got it. I guess I'm the autistic one since it doesn't work for me, I'll try and fix it

Lemao, do you use Calibre to convert and send the books to your Kindle?

Yes, I use the email to kindle thing though, maybe I'll try the usb cable

I've never really used mail because it converts through the Amazon server and apparently even converts azw3 to mobi. Definitely try USB and see if it changes anything.

I greatly prefer my Kobo Aura One to my wife's Kindle Voyage.

vs. the Kindle Voyage, the KA1 has:
>more customization
>cleaner, better interface
>night mode, which I use not infrequently
>double the storage
>ePubs (which are more prevalent on libgen) over .mobi; conversion can be a pain for kindle
>bigger screen, yet lighter
>beautiful footnote/endnote support, which it lacked when i first got the kobo

The only things i miss about the Voyage:
>great in-text translation, especially phrases
>in-text Wikipedia summaries
>wordwise, which is kind of a meme
>haptic buttons

I agree with this user (), in that I almost never use my Kobo for philosophy or science texts — only literature and pop-nonfic. There's no substitute for writing in the margins, and (no matter what anyone tells you) PDFs are always a PITA on eReaders.
>t. the eternal Kobo shill

Like other anons mentioned its great for non-academic reading. Also all my pirated epubs/mobi's have page number.

I personally travel a lot and it is worth only on having to bring one device that can fit in my pocket and have hundreds of books.

It still doesn't work ree

Calibre uses all of my RAM and the computer crashes and reboots while conversion.

>fits in the pocket
That's a big pocket

Are you using a toaster?

>not getting KOBO masterrace
lol?

>computer crashes and reboots
That's a shit pc

also my pockets must be big because i carry a lot of spaghetti lul xdDDD

It's worth it and if you pirate books it pays for itself in minutes.

The Kindle Paperwhite has a night mode though

You’re a fucking idiot

Anyone here have multiple e-readers? I have a kindle paper white, but I'm looking into possiby buying another one but from a differant brand.

I have one and only read pirated stuff from Library Genesis. When it's something older I get it from an used book store and that's it. It's been a money saver for me.

K O B O
O
B
O

I mean what do you guys pirate? I can't find anything that is not some #1 NYT Best seller or some ancient philosophy book.

Where are you looking?
There are torrents on tpb with 3000+ books that include all popular and some semi-popular classics
Then libgen has some pretty obscure stuff sometimes but it's touch and miss

>all popular
>classics

Exaclty what I don't want and there is no way i'm touching TPB in 2018. Too bad all the ebook private trackers are a bunch of faggots that don't let anyone join.

Yes. Most of my ebooks aren't from the kindle store.

Every single public domain book is available to you in ebook form for absolutely free with no strings attached. What ISN'T there to read?

>epub conversions can be pain
nope, takes 5 seconds in calibre, works everytime

>everytime

>instant translation
what the hell is this
I have a 2nd gen PW (haven't enabled WiFi so it hasn't updated in ages) and I think I don't have this.

Get the Kobo Aura One H2O so you can read underwater
>pic related

>Bhagavad Gita
Shoulda been The Great Gatsby

>jaded old bully
with calibre, you can "force" a page count. i think that only works if you convert to mobi though.

That's not what I meant — ePub to .mobi is not a 1:1 translation, which means that there are some margins for error. If there are, then you have to go digging through the text and rooting them out. Conversely, ePub to kepub is a 1:1 translation.

Kek

>nazi
I don't want your appreciation of my jokes

What the fuck are you talking about?
I've OCR'd at least a dozen books, edited them with MS Word, transferred to Sigil (Epub), then converted to MOBI.
I've also converted hundreds of EPUBs to MOBI and it hardly ever fails.

Things that don't convert properly:
- Custom fonts embedded in the EPUB. Kindle's just don't display them, not sure how it works with a Kobo or a Nook.
- ToCs with more than 2 levels (actually a Kindle limitation).

>it has no page count.
That depends on the file, it's not a universal truth of sideloaded or illegal books. Some do, some don't. You can add page numbers with Calibre in any case.

>ePub to .mobi is not a 1:1 translation
Why not use azw3?

>I can't find anything that is not some #1 NYT Best seller or some ancient philosophy book.
Then you're doing it wrong. Go to libgen and run a (non-Russian) search, you can find almost anything. If you don't like that, then do a site specific search of the Mobilism forums. If you don't like that, then jump on an IRC client and join the #ebooks channel on IRC Highway. I don't know how to make it any easier.

Cool bro none of that works. They don't have any modern books only old ones that are top sellers.

You haven't even tried IRC, have you?
Where do you think I download the shitty mystery series my aunt reads?
(actually, I get most of them from Bibliotik, but IRC helps too)

so I just bought a $250 kobo aura one

it's really nice

Fuck piracy anyways it doesn't auto update my Goodreads account when I finish it.

Give me an example of a modern book that you can't find.

amazon.com/Wilderness-Within-John-Claude-Smith/dp/1945373938/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520310793&sr=1-1&keywords=the wilderness within

Mobilism and IRC have two of his books, but not that one. It's only been out for 6 months, so I'd just keep checking from time to time. Or you can always post a request on Mobilism.

>5 dollars
If you are so desperate buy it you cheap fuck

I will one day but it was just an example of the types of books I look for. Generally niche and get few readers but I see reviews for them on some sites I visit.

I have books that I can't find. It's rare, but it happens. If I really want to read them, I'll just buy them. Most of the stuff I download, I wouldn't have purchased. It makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing.

Yeah dood I was joking. Honestly pirating is not worth, the font is all fucked up most of the time imho. I mean st least from chapter to chapter there should an empty space

Depends where you get it from and how many versions are out there. I've had the worst formatting come from torrents most of the time. Mob. and IRC are often indistinguishable from retail, whereas libgen copies are hit or miss.