Did the Orthodox, Copts, and Eastern Catholic traditions ever write explicitly Christian narratives like Paradise Lost...

Did the Orthodox, Copts, and Eastern Catholic traditions ever write explicitly Christian narratives like Paradise Lost, Pilgrim's Progress or the Divine Comedy? Are there any narrative hymns or liturgical poetry by these groups?

>Copts, and Eastern Catholic traditions
They are mostly Byzantine with local variants
>Paradise Lost
this is a protestant view inspired by the e Fall of Man but it's not even an exclusive protestant view it's not a religious work

>this is a protestant view inspired by the e Fall of Man but it's not even an exclusive protestant view it's not a religious work
Why did you mention this and not Pilgrim's Progress

>be Milton
>write a really long blank verse shitty poem specifically to 'explain the ways of God to men'
>put that right at the beginning of the thing
>people generally read the work keeping that in mind
>this autist Barthes comes along and says people cqn read your work like a bedtime story if they wanna
>fucking asshole.jpg
>the whole thing dies down
>comes an user on an indonesian fishnet-crafting subreddit claiming your work isn't even religious

because I'm not familiar with the book

It can be spiritual (and it's a spiritual work) but not religious. There is a huge difference between the two. Milton didn't believe in the Holy Trinity. That is he a heretic according to the Orthodox, Catholics and some Protestant denominations hence why I wouldn't say it's a religious book

Nigga you made up definitions in your head of 'religious' and 'spiritual' and write as though everyone else works on those.
I also do that sometimes, but please stop nonetheless.

religious in the sense it's according to the doctrine/dogma. I don't know why people mix religion with spirituality

don't touch my Barthes

>religious in the sense it's according to the doctrine/dogma

>Paradise Lost

pseudo-gnostic work with Luciferian sympathies

>Divine Comedy

Extremely petty political tract and personal revenge fantasy

Great stuff Catlickers

Those are just examples of the form of literature Im curious about, guy. Got all the way through the first sentence, figured you wouldve noticed that

Does The Summoning of Everyman count? I like it

>The Summoning of Everyman
Hell yeah, same with Piers Ploughman

Marlowe's Doctor Faustus?

Im wondering if orthodox and other old world churches had literature like these

My guess is that they would have seen it as superfluous since there's already the Bible.

I know the Armenians had things like the Book of Adam and Georgians had the Balavariani, and those were pretty small churches, so I know there exists some literature out there

The Way of the Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way is the equivalent of the Pilgrim's Progress to the Orthodox
Any work by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, especially the Brothers Karamazov, is the equivalent of Paradise Lost or the Divine Comedy

They wrote plenty of literature. doesn't know what the hell he's talking about

That's why I said "my guess". I don't know, but I'm looking into it right now.

>The Way of the Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way is the equivalent of the Pilgrim's Progress to the Orthodox
Thanks guy. Anything medieval that you know of?

Does anyone know of Russian Orthodox Old Believer (or Old Ritualist) literature? Maybe something pre-1650s?

Chronicles of Narnia is Anglican I guess.

Ash Wednesday is Anglican

Icons

>The Sermons of Caesarius of Arles
>The Ladder of Divine Ascent by John Climacus
>The Works of St. Maximus the Confessor
>The Works of St. John of Damascus
>The Discourses of Symeon the New Theologian
>Hymns of Divine Love by Symeon the New Theologian
>The Philokalia

what did you mean by this