ITT: Best Book Covers

ITT: Best Book Covers

Hey! That guy stole his cover art from Neon Genesis Evangelion!

I refuse to read this book until I get my hands on a copy with this cover

is that harvey weinstein

ayyyyy i can see a tiddy

I legitimately thought that was real until I found out that thread was an /a/ thread in disguise. Absolutely disgusting.

Monitoring this thread, I'm only interested in reading books with good covers.

I like it

hehehehe Harvey Weinstein hehehehe

ok i suppose

there was a lot of this in the 1970s. maybe it was all the same guy

not bad at evoking the book

this is good; it's like the title sequence to Vertigo

Yuck, gives a totally misleading impression off the book. Makes you think it's going to be sci-fi

not feeling it, sorry

err what

not bad at all

not sure about this

> Pic attached
I have heard at least three independent accounts of people buying this because of the cover

I will collect some of these and try to build up enough to make an official Veeky Forums awesome book covers infographic.

Remember, it's not enough just to be seen reading the right book - you need the right edition with the right cover as well!

I always preferred this one

But maybe that's just because it's the edition I have.

What do people think?

Another way to approach this is to think of a book and then try to find the best possible cover for it.

For example I've never seen a satisfactory cover for The Sound And The Fury - any suggestions?

the best lolita cover is one without a pic; however if there must be a pic then this is the best one

that one is okish but it's spoiled by the stupid irrelevant quotation from stupid irrelevant Vanity Fair

i perhaps agree that in general Lolita is best served by abstract cover art
still can't shake my preference for my old familiar cover tho :(

Ayy I have this picture saved
Is it a good book?

i wouldn't get your hopes up

it's very, very seldom that a sci-fi novel lives up to the cover art

Josh Kirby is pretty darned good at capturing the spirit of the Discworld.

These covers tell you exactly what you'll be getting :)

What the Kentucky-Fried-F*** is that?

Doesn't look like a Shop job.

So someone drew that. Someone approved it. Someone oversaw the printing. And trees died for it.

Illustration by Phil Hale. They're very good illustrations but don't really fit the books.

John 11:35

WRONG
it's

The guy I was talking to said that already. I agree that one's not bad. I just love Miss Lollipop.

Another example is Emma. Never seen a decent cover for that. (Maybe Jane Austen is best with no picture.)
The whole point about Emma is she has to be attractive otherwise she's just annoying.
All the cover art I've seen has featured a 5 or 6.
She has to be a solid 8.

It's usually a good sign when they use it for the movie

Or this one

OK, you got a laugh out of me. But was it worth the cost of your soul, user?

Yeah...

What about this one? It's German, though, but fairly recent.

I like her :)

Not sure the whole style quite fits the novel but that is definitely better than most I've seen.

She has to be a real cutie-pie.

That's why Clueless worked. Young Alicia Silverstone mmmmmmmm

I disagree. It's fucking sickly Kurtz tumbling through the shadows. It fits the bleakness of it.

Horrible. Movie tie in.

I always post this one when I see these threads. I own this version, never read it though.

While Eric's not the best in the series I love the cover

They kept them across all translations too, including my editions. The French editions are quite similar, but the Japs did them... weird. I still like them tho

The French are pretty out there with their cover art

Kadare always got the best book covers

I fucking love phil hale

you have shit fucking taste

fuck that's amazing
i love it
now someone write a good book to go along with it.

lmao this is the edition i have what the fuck does it mean

> hating good art this much that you're willing to showcase how much of a pleb you are

Why do people do this

The cover for Nigger of the Narcissus is very good too. These are currently the most recent editions I think Penguin have put out. They're very nice covers.

i'd jane austen her emma if you know what i mean heh heh heh pussy

nobody can beat this one

my mind was BLOWN away when i saw it

>white flowers = virginity
>one is red

>fruit, crisp and unblemished, so fresh there are still healthy leaves attached

>a book for the well read intellectualism of HH

painfully straight forward

Fair enough, user. Don't care if that's pulled out your ass, it makes sense. Thanks, man

Nice.

I studied art (in conjunction with something else), and that's basic symbolism, but you're welcome

Stop mass quoting you gigantic fag

That's pretty cool actually so thank you again for giving me a genuine reply.

What's wrong with mass quoting? (This is the first I've heard it criticized.)

hahahaha this belongs in a "what i expected" panel

When I hover of the reply I come across your dumb comment 10 times in a row.
I don't care about your opinion, haha wow I liked this cover! Not feeling this one though!
It's not too annoying if you do it once but 10 times is just insufferable, no one cares about your opinion on book covers that much

Hey, no problem, user. Thank you for being honestly interested.

I agree movie tie-ins are disgusting, but I was looking for the original first-edition novel cover they took the movie artwork from - it's this, I think.
I

Currently reading through it, absolutely great, the title story is amazing and only 25 pages long

I've seen a few decent covers for Moby Dick, but nothing that immediately stamps itself as definitive.
This is my current favourite, but there must be something better out there.

I've been trying my hand at making my own covers for books I can't find covers I like for. What does Veeky Forums think?

Pretty good. (Everyone expects humour with Mark Twain but this makes it clear they're getting something different, haha.)

Cool, thanks!
The program I'm using is pretty rudimentary, but I'm having a lot of fun!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said it was his most important work, and he worked on it for 7 years, so I'm glad I got that across, at least.

This was the USA first-edition cover. I like the tone but I'm not sure it really works since that's surely a female hand. Whose is it supposed to be?

I'm assuming it's supposed to be the female main character, or the tranny

Ugh! TV tie-ins...

Incredible

What are the references here? (I have never read that book)

SF&F has so many opportunities for good covers

It's the bit where Master Pantsington - or something like that, probably - settles his rents on Emma's purview.

This one's good too.

GODDAMN I LOVE PHIL HALE SO FUCKING MUCH

can penguin books just fuck off with this shitty "stock photo with calibri text plastered over" shtick? It's so boring.

I can make a better shitty cover of that if you can find me the original picture.

wow thanks. very high quality photo with a very good angle

It’s postmoderm

Eh, found a different image, made a couple, fucked them up, then got bored.

Still, I like it. Looks kind of like an angel painting like this.

you don’t know the first thing about postmodernism, you could begin to begin to comprehend the tiniest sliver of the single grain of sand along the vast coastline that is postmodern theory, okay? you don’t to just get to pretend like you intentionally took a shitty picture then cover your tracks by falling back on such an esteemed legacy, you massive, massive pseudo. you living fraud of a man. you insignificant mind. how foolish the masses! how ignorant the children of today’s warped morality! you think you deceive anyone? you think we can’t see through to what you really are? have you even read the works of David Foster Wallace? have you even imbibed on the soulfully intoxicating prose of Thomas Pynchon? have you? have you descended into the depths, those undulating caverns of brackish misery. or do you just sit here on Veeky Forums and pretend to be an intellectual. "It’s postmodernism" you say? give me a break. I tire of your ilk. leave this board, leave this land. you are not worthy

Okay thanks

okay, now I'm done.

okay, NOW I'm done

Fucking kek