How is Robert Fagles in comparison to other translations of the Illiad and/or Odyssey?

How is Robert Fagles in comparison to other translations of the Illiad and/or Odyssey?

Other urls found in this thread:

iliad-translations.com/translation-comparison/
youtube.com/watch?v=2IiP74_5Mnc&list=PL84sRgbvXgGPiyP2vt14s9PyWHNBgY8ti
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Use the archive

He pisses all over them.

He's good. It's basically dressed up stacked prose, but I didn't mind at all, and I think it's better than straight prose translations. I read both his Iliad and Odysssey

iliad-translations.com/translation-comparison/

There are a lot of comparisons here

>mfw I want to read both
>the translation anxiety always stops me from buying them
>theres so many translations and so many opinions on each

It's all so tiresome

fagle haters are just asshurt that Homer can be fun to read in english
they're enjoyable reads, I've had them assigned in a few classics classes. The Odyssey was my personal favorite, the Iliad translation is all right but I could take it or leave it.

It's a book you'll want to read more than once anyways so just pick one to start with. It doesn't matter which one.

just download ebooks or use amazon to see which one you prefer

Shame he hates on Lombardo with no reason.

start with Fagles because it is very easy. You can find a full reading of the odyssey online. Start with the Iliad though.
youtube.com/watch?v=2IiP74_5Mnc&list=PL84sRgbvXgGPiyP2vt14s9PyWHNBgY8ti

i like fitzgerald

i like u!

P O P E
O
P
E

Fagles is a very good choice if you're a brainlet.

But fagles isn't fun to read

me too user

Lattimore is the one you want to get. There's comparisons of the translations online, but Lattimore manages, imo, to strike the best balance between poetry, translation accuracy, etc. Fagles is a lot clunkier.

Same

Try them out yourself, OP.
I went to a bookstore and compared passages myself. I liked how Lattimore felt, so I got Lattimore.

I've read all four majors ones and Lattimore is the most Veeky Forums without a shadow of a doubt.

Lattimore is my favorite even though the covers are fucking garbage

Chapman.
>when your poem translating a poem is so good other poets write poems about your poem.

This. Love Lattimore, hate the covers. The paper in the newest editions is nice and thick, though, so they hold up well in bags & backpacks.

Buy the hardcover for five dollars you fucking morons

Stephen mitchell has a good translation

Buy the paperbacks for 50 cents, you fucking moron

get a job or go beg for some dollars

Well, you assholes turned a perfectly nice thread sour.