STEM philistine here, I want to get cultured

What literature should I start with? I haven't really read anything non-technical since senior graduation.

elope with the Egyptians

The only way to become cultured is to read the great works of literature chronologically, beginning of course with Gilgamesh.

Who's the author?

Are you serious? Because, that's an awful lot of material. I also took classics in high school, so I've already read some of the classics "out of order".

>Are you serious?

No. Familiarity with Homer, Plato, and the Bible will enhance your understanding of a lot of texts but you can always go back to them later. Just start with what you think would interest you. The first work of literature that made a lasting impression on me was Crime and Punishment. That's not a bad place to start.

>Crime and Punishment
Thank you, I think I will, I've heard good (and by good, I mean thought-provoking) extrapolations of it from friends.

Kill yourself, science cuck

the Egyptian book of the dead

Just pick a book and read it you stupid nigger.

No problem. Enjoy. And check out the Veeky Forums wiki if you haven't already. There's quite a good selection.

Start with the Greeks

No.

Maybe.

No, because there are so many trash books.
>What is the majority of modern adult fiction?

Will do, thanks again.

I've already read some, but I will, thank you too.

tfw the fake chart is better than the real one

Well, for instance, I like "hard science fiction", rather than "soft".

What I mean is you are coming to Veeky Forums for recommendations so you obviously trust Veeky Forums's taste, so pick anything from or the wiki like said and just read it.

I do.

Stop reading genre fiction.

post pls

i would recomend that you read either contemporary fiction such as houellebecq, or you read something that is related to your actual studies, such as Jaques Ellul or Ivan Ilitch. Never read anything which you can't comprehend, unless it intrigues you personally.

Kinda in a worse boat since I'm a blue collar no formal college fag. Should I even really bother? I read Don Quixote recently and enjoyed it but idk if I will really get anything out of somthing more. Would I just be wasting my time?

>Anna Karenina
>War and Peace
If you ever needed concrete proof Veeky Forums's opinions are memes this is it. Only a retard falls for the Tolstoy meme. It's the most effected filter for telling the posers from people who truly appreciate literature.
>Book of the New Sun
Holy kek. How many underagefags are on this board? Only a barely pubescent child could be this stupid.

I think I know your address:
>/r/iamverysmart/

>he doesn't recognize the greatest of Tolstoy

You're right, he is the most effective poser filter. Just not in the way you'd hoped.

3/10 made me reply

TOLSTOY > DOSTO THE YEVSKY

If you like reading, read.