More like used kikestores

Fuck used bookstores. These people always bitch about "the book box stores and amazon are killing muh mom and pop book store ;("

I visited a couple of these today. All their shit is AT MINIMUM just 50% oft the cover price. So a crinkly used copy of Clockwork orange costs $7.50. Do I expect them to undercut everything online? No, obviously I expect to pay a small premium for the luxary of not having to wait for shipping, but 3x online price is bullshit, and this was the same everywhere.

Not only that, some of the places don't even have prices on it and the cashier just decides on a price at the register. That way, you're pressured into buying it by the time its rung up because they don't expect you to check your phone for a better price once its been put in.

Even worse is the way they acquire merchandise. They stake out library sales overnight and push and shove actual customers while they scan everything and toss anything they can make a dollar on into a bin. Half the time they fucking bribe the manager of the sale to let them pick the good shit out early.

Fuck these people, I hope amazon crushes them like a big.

not my fault your town has shit stores m8

It’s like Sammy Davis Junior used to say...”It’s two words, babe. It’s ‘show’ and it’s ‘business’.”

>Not only that, some of the places don't even have prices on it and the cashier just decides on a price at the register.

This must be in Murica, they add the taxes at the register, too, in every store kek murifags

Dont forget the cost to tip the cashier

Open your own used bookstore. You seem like a winner.

they're /comfy/. too bad that most bookstores have resorted to selling greeting cards and little puzzle games type stuff

used bookstores are nice. you come across a lot of niche things by chance that you'd have to pay some exorbitant amount for online.

that's b/c you're going to kike bookstores that sell to young upper middle class goyim AKA ATM machines. Try looking for a kike bookstore that sells to other kikes.

Used bookstores tend to be more expensive if you live in more expensive areas. I still manage to find good deals at them sometimes.

This. There's three really good used book stores where I live and they all charge low prices.

It's paying extra to support your community at large and connect with the owners for personal touch. Sadly the modern soy-thinker only cares for in the moment savings and not localized comradery. It's why society is so shit now and why all our myths and identities are bought and sold back to us by disney.

Calm down dude, just go to a thrift store. Goodwill does 3$ hardback and 1$ soft cover, and that's the most expensive, Salvation Army and DAV are like 2$ at the highest.

>Goodwill

Goodwill does the same thing in the back room

Only managers can sort through books, they just scan everything and sell things they can make money on online or in their "boutique" stores

But other thrift stores can be good

>they just scan everything and sell things they can make money on online
I routinely find books at my local goodwills that I resell online for >$20. hell, one time I found a working Nook for a few bucks

If the curation is top-notch, I don't mind as much. They're how I discovered The Yellow Book and the English decadents, Henry Green, random things like Wilson's Memoirs of Hecate County, etc. I've seen certain things that were comparatively cheap -art books, for example- but a greater number of crumbling, yellowed orange-covered Penguin Classics listed at their original price.

I will agree that these fucking assholes that stake out library book sales are the worst, every time I see them scanning every goddamn book with their phones I feel like slapping it out of their hand. I've never hesitated to pluck anything I wanted out of their bags/crates/whatever.

>some of the places don't even have prices on it and the cashier just decides on a price at the register.
lol are you too beta to fucking haggle? what a dipshit

Some managers slack/don't care, but they aren't supposed to tell anything on the floor that can profit online, sounds like you got a good one.

None of the goodwills around me do that either.

My local library instituted a rule that any book not in your hand is fair game

makes them fucking furious

>tfw you walk into Half Price Books
>tfw you check the clearance section and it's full of new stuff they just moved over, and no one's around so you can leisurely browse in peace

I agree. The vast majority of book stores are complete tripe. Abebooks and Amazon fulfill their niche a hundred times better.

they honestly just tell me to fuck off if I try to haggle

used book stores can go to hell.

value village gets all their books donated for free and they sell most books for $6 . I refuse to buy or donate to value village especially after they removed their points program. mega kikes. those books should be $1-2 at most. mom and pop used books stores are even worse. I buy all my books off amazon brand new for a few extra bucks.

this
book stores and especially used book stores are some of the most useless establishments around

glad they're getting phased out

what have your best clearance finds there been? i've found vintage hardcover Becketts in French, vintage hardcover Story of O, some quality contemporary architecture and art books

A couple of hardcover volumes of Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics.

then you have the shittiest luck and i support you on your intention to make your local bookstore bankrupt

low margins and high rents because of reliance on foot-traffic.

i fucking hate knickknacks but i get it.

>luxary
opinion discarded
actually I discarded it when I read kikestores

Kek.

This but unironically.

>Veeky Forums dislikes bookstores or are lukewarm towards them
Absolute fucking hypocrites. Enjoy never having a comfy coffee/book store with excellent atmosphere, fucking faggots. continue guzzling amazon's cock

>be me
>be a Mexican immigrant
>go to library sales, first in line,
>quickly scan books
>grab any I can resell online for 3x the price
>leave with 5 boxes of books
>stop at the grocery store on the way home, buy crab legs, a steak, bag of chips, lots of junk food
>go to speedy 10 items of less lane with 26 items
>pay for it all with food stamps
>argue with the cashier for charging me 50 cents too much, ask to speak to the manager, hold up the line for 14 minutes

>It's paying extra to support your community at large and connect with the owners for personal touch.
this is very pathetic, user
get some friends

I do this except i'm jewish
try and stop me

>connect with the owners for personal touch
>personally connecting with capitalists

all the "connecting" i need to do with book merchants is the amazon stock in my retirement account

Paying for books lol

>reeeee you should feel morally obliged to pay more because amazon hurts my feeeeeliiiings

At my friends of the library paperbacks are .25 and hardbacks go up to 5 dollars

Stay kiked

I thought most used books cost $1-2 in the US?

Anyway, where I live they are a necessity. It was the only way to get a physical copy of Memories from the House of the Dead or The Man Without Qualities.
Publishers hardly ever reprint books from the past 30-50 years, so you're left with yellowed shitty paperbacks that cost 70-150% of what other stores charge you for a new book.

amazon doesn't just hurt feelings it's developing a monopoly across multiple markets. by supporting them you hasten the arrival of the Bezos dystopia.

Lol da fuck you mean

/thread

How do I pick a good bookstore? So far I found Half-price Books which I thought sold books at a fair price.

Lemme guess you 1. Are from the midwest and 2. Went to Half priced books

>shop on amazon
>buy whatever edition/translation I want, brand new

>shop in shitty used book store
>have to scrounge through unorganized bookshelves hoping to come across something worthwhile
>find something that is 3-4 dollars cheaper than new on amazon

I buy all my books brand new from amazon because the last time I bought a book pre-owned fucking anywhere it had crumbs in it and pages torn out.

Fuck people who can't look after their shit properly and just sell it on.

It is strange that libtards want to support used bookstores without ever considering the harm it does to the author's income.

>go to bookfinder
>buy whatevers cheapest

Stay out of checkered floors. That's some freemason shit.

Are scanners that big a problem for you? I used to hit up the book sales at the University of Toronto, and there were at most 3 scanners and maybe 10-20 other bookdealers who did things the old-fashioned way (used their own judgement in picking out books).

This shit happens at the sale I go to, it's full of hipanics that probably will never open the damn books, but also lots of old white people who do the same. Fucking brainlets.

Got back from Warminster, UK, there is a book shop there that looks like your pic, charges £1 for hardbacks and 60p for paperbacks. Came away with twenty books to read. :)

I dont hate them because they go for obvious books like dostoevsky or whatever, leaving the plotinus and spinoza to me :')

I think it's your area, sorry user. I live about ~10 minutes walking distance from 6 bookstores and they're all pretty reasonable for the most part. Why do people get so angry over paying a couple bucks more for a book though?

Buying used online is such a gamble, personally I'm ok with paying a markup if it means the books are accurately appraised. I've received "like new" books with airhead comments written all over the margins. Never again. Of course if these books were still being published I would have gone the new route to begin with.

That being said, I do hate some bookshops purely because of their staff. It's a toss up between stuffy pricks or really chatty folk with little to no knowledge on books. It's likely a burgerland problem, but I just want to browse in peace and silence.

There are a lot of old mass paperbacks that go for $1-2 but most places will charge about 40-60% of cover price for anything nicer in the states.

>he buys books from authors who are still alive

idk where you live, but my experience in at least the UK is that charity stores, like Oxfam or red cross etc usually sell below 5 pounds
i picked up 4 Antony Beevor books a a big ass coffeetable book on the Vietnam war for a grand total of 6 pounds
my mother is a primary school teacher, and she never leaves the UK with at least 20 kids picture books for a bargain

I lived in Norwich (UK), which is full of used bookstores and charity shops, and they're way better than online or Waterstone's.
>Freud: Essentials of psycho-analysis: 50p
>Foucault: Power/Knowledge: 7 pounds
>Moby-Dick ( with 300 page commentary, pictures etc): 2 pounds

Does anyone know any good used bookstores in Philly?

My local bookstore is pretty cool and I like haggling with the owner and his son. They already know me as I usually shop there and they give me some good prices because of that. Once he even threw in a book because he thought I'd like it.

What like the sears and roebuck distopia or maybe the sam walton take over of the world? Oh wait its fucking nothing

What book? That's pretty cool user. I run into my local shop's manager a lot and we always have nice chats.

My Half Price is pretty good. I got Magick In Theory and Practice, and 777, for half the price of Shamazon, and not disposable paperbacks. Same thing with the I Ching.

Scanning without knowing what you are doing is hard work, I watch them spending hours scanning shelf loads of shit.

i'd move to a third world country if i wanted to haggle