Literally tell me your thoughts on this work. Sam Pink and Megan Boyle also apply

Literally tell me your thoughts on this work. Sam Pink and Megan Boyle also apply

Preferably phoneposting

Other urls found in this thread:

magazine.nytyrant.com/literally-show-healthy-person-excerpt/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this some tumblr shit?

Better not be posting no tumblr shit on my board boy

The author is tumblresque, yea

really funny title desu. i haven't read it though. how is it?

Good

god i want to fuck marie calloway so bad

Oh cool some brooklyn bitch wrote a book

tao lin is that you?

No, I live in a post-industrial small city

Darcie Wilder’s literally show me a healthy person is a careful confession soaking in saltwater, a size B control top jet black pantyhose dragged over a skinned knee and slipped into unlaced Doc Martens. Blurring the lines of the written word, literally show me a healthy person is a portrait of a young girl, or woman, or something; grappling with the immediate and seemingly endless urge to document and describe herself and the world around her. Dealing with the aftermath of her mother’s death, her father’s neglect, and the chaotic unspoken expectations around her, this novel is a beating heart at the intersection of literature, poetry, and the internet. Darcie Wilder elevates and applies direct pressure, but the wound never stops bleeding.

Anyone else terrified by "this is the future of writing"? Tfw learning to write decent prose but it doesn't matter because "literature" 20 years from now will be written as a series of tweets and deemed "brilliant".

here's an excerpt:

magazine.nytyrant.com/literally-show-healthy-person-excerpt/

It's undoubtedly creative but somewhat contrived for stylistic purposes it seems. The line between artfully innovative and meme pandering is very thin here. Seems weirdly full of itself too which I suppose is standard for any author but it feels greatly unwarranted if thats true at all. But maybe not.

>in third grade when everyone cool had glasses like arthur from arthur i faked having bad eyesight at the eye doctor’s but i wanted to be sure that they thought my eyes were bad enough to need glasses so i said i couldn’t see colors and they stopped the test and i had to wait in the waiting room and my mom went to cry in the bathroom and they guilted me into confessing the truth and i had to retake the whole test and then they dilated my pupils so i really couldnt see and it was so scary and they gave me fake glasses that i was too ashamed to ever actually wear and now my mom is dead and i have astigmatisms

>grammar question: do you wake up “with terror” or “in terror”?

>in rehab we did a meditation we lied down on the floor and closed our eyes and our shrink said we walked around a pond until we found a kid sitting on a bench and we talk to the kid and we take the kid around the pond and how is the kid and my kid was limping from a gash on her foot and our shrink said this was our inner child

>what if banks was yahe mommy and you have to vosit and say i love you and then have to one day bury

>once my dad bought me a plastic bill clinton mask that covered my whole eight year old head it was heavy plastic with no ventilation and i couldn’t breathe and would cut my neck sometimes but i put it on and wore a suit on halloween and went as bill clinton and whenever anyone opened their doors they would laugh or were horrified but i didn’t understand i was eight and no one told me what the lewinsky scandal was or that it happened that year

>that picture of the dead rat on instagram w caption ‘i just crushed its skull’ – the guy who posted that photo – i had sex with that guy
plan b is kind of a party drug

>friday night imagining everyone i know dying

>starring at the wall thats fucking my wall im starring at my wal

literally who is Scott McClanahahan and why would they print his obsequious drivel on the cover

It seems like it's slathered the internet typing tone of "lowercase little punctuation" over some pretty basic stream of consciousness. It lacks substance and appears to me to be greatly derivative, but I haven't read the whole book, just this excerpt.

an unavoidable consequence of unchecked democratization. On the bright side literature broadly defined is the gateway through which all great thought must pass, and won't be judged by how cutely some cunt sold his 'quirky' take on the world in the guise of 'literature.' and yes I consider Salinger in this category. I don't denounce Catcher in the Rye but it should never have been seen as more than an ingenious outlier

are you saying Salinger got lucky with Rye or that it's a cute take? Can you expand a bit on what you mean in this post? I'm interested.

Yeah I agree but that sort of stuff is "in" right now. I don't really understand the fascination with stream of consciousness filtered through millennial cultural norms. It's the same sort of zeal for Tao Lin.

i had some black coffee today
for the first time
idk i thought it was about being
grown up or whatever, anyway
it's pretty gross but like i think
it should keep me up. If not
ill put some Adderall in a Capri sun.

People act like it takes some sort of creative genius to write prose like social media post but it's hardly anything. Albeit I'm sure they put more effort in but as a base it's pretty vapid imo just barely about Rupi.

I agree but even if you considered Catcher in that category it was during a time that the standard wasn't literally on the floor. There's nothing with opening the doors so long as people are reminded that they have to actually make an effort to create something engaging. Not ridden with "style" for the sake of appealing to an in-crowd demographic.

Not lucky but it's a one-off in terms of first person characterization. In its full effect it is a marvel of unbroken authenticity of voice and disposition. In every nearly every attempt to pull off this mode the mask at some point slips, offering a glimpse of the rhetorician with his pen. Just compare it to Camus, who can only maintain the pretense for maybe half the book until character gives way to rhetoric

*Barely above

that's something that i think the people who hate the book completely miss and is something i greatly praise it for. thanks for your thoughts.

Easy to say when you're fully aware of Veeky Forums (internet per se) and care for literature

do I have to be a woman to understand this?

no, but you have to be a millennial

>this is "the future of writing"

reads like my scattered notes.