I'm starting a job as a high school English teacher this fall. What should I read in the meantime to help me prepare?

I'm starting a job as a high school English teacher this fall. What should I read in the meantime to help me prepare?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oWLByMshYIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

idk "The Hoosier School Master" or Utopia or Rules: The Secret Joys of Bureaucracy

why did you decide spending the rest of your life in a high school surrounded by horny and awkward teens was a good way to spend your life? people who teach high school seem a little sick to me, like they are trying to relive something, or they get off vicariously through their students, last time i had to work in a high school i heard some teacher getting a little to into a discussion with his students about prom night lmao i'm like i can't wait till this gig is over, creeeeepy

clockwork orange

youtube.com/watch?v=oWLByMshYIU

It’s just a job bro. I’d rather be around high schoolers than alone at a desk doing some other bullshit. At least you’re the authority and get to facilitate the conversation.

What books are you gonna teach?

Might be fun to reread something you read in high school.

try to help out the autists. That means don't fucking say shit like "alright everybody, make groups of 3" or "find a partner". I swear to god I still have flashbacks to that kikery.

I hated working in a corporate environment and have always enjoyed school. I'm too lazy and unmotivated to try for a career in academics, so high school it is.

>at least you’re the authority and get to facilitate the conversation

Is a big part of it as well.

Added to my list. I love the film.

>"The Hoosier School Master"
Sounds cool, I'll check it out. Is the revised edition on Gutenberg complete?

No idea. My district does professional learning circles where the English teachers plan together. I'm not sure how much control I'll have over the books I teach yet, or which grade I'll teach.

yeah but high school kids are so fucking stupid tho, unless you teach in some school thats like 90% white it's going to be a bunch of esl 'kids' who are actually about 25 from honduras going "reading is pointless this won't help me at my landscaping job"

Stoner
Pnin

> this won't help me at my landscaping job
landscaping is the most /lit job possible. All that mindless labour, so much time to think

Not sure what literature equivalent there is but just watch Dead Poet Society

don't lie the authority part is why you're a teacher

Watched it as an undergrad it college. Great movie.

It's less about authority and more that I view teaching as a respectable career.

its not a respectable career, you're a teenage day-care supervisor, you aren't even qualified to teach yourself anything much less other people's offspring. Are you sure you aren't lusting for adulation, attention and power over people you view as lesser? What gives teaching respect? Its authority and the power you wield over lessers correct? They have less knowledge, your authority allegedly derives from superior knowledge, yet you are not in possession of any knowledge, in fact you have so little you don't equate knowledge difference with authority like any sensible person would and you don't derive respect from authority either, an obvious connection. Which means you're unqualified, ignorant and power hungry, a typical teacher. Disgraceful

>high school teacher respectable

it's a shitty government job somewhere between garbage man and cop, so i guess sort of respectable if ur a real bottom feeder but nothing to write home about

>Highschool literature teacher died last year
>Had a heart attack, took 5 days for anyone to nottice
>Dude was in his 50s

Who pissed in your cheerios?

Stoner

when i was in 9th grade some girl walked in one this ugly little english teacher masturbating in the teachers lounge, it was a super patrish lounge though for a public school, it was like a library with these big wooden shelves all around the wall filled with old books, idk where it came from, anyways i guess he thought no one could get in there lol

im sorry are you incapable of handling a tiny bit of biting critique? Have fun with those parents, smart kids and of course the admin+school board and your fellow faculty members you twit

Lolita

John Green's oeuvre.

you sound jealous because you won't ever be a gun toting teacher.

stay mad bitch nigga

The Lord of the Flies, then Catcher in the Rye.

Also, watch the Japanese film, "Battle Royale" and then prepare yourself mentally, meditating on the dark, chaotic, uncivilized nature of under-twenty something's.

>jealous of someone who is in an active mass shooting target zone nearly all their waking hours
no

Also, Rage by Stephen King

>active mass shooting target zone
You mean the United States of America?

kek

Reading Lord of the Flies now, and have already read Catcher and watched Battle Royale.

>meditating on the dark, chaotic, uncivilized nature of under-twenty something's.

Geeze man do you seriously not care about being a teacher other than bossing kids around? I just got into the teacher Ed program at my school and plan on doing the same but don't you genuinely enjoy watching kids inquire into things and show their sense of curiosity rather than aloofness and laziness? It's invigorating honestly I imagine one would be very prone to irritation and boredom if they don't have a passion for educating and getting people to think critically. So many people become teachers because they feel like they have no option and that makes me sad as hell. Sorry if that comes off as really rude but wheres the sincere interest man!

No there's nothing wrong with him I think you're the dickhead here. You're implying that teaching is solely just some dead end last beta attempt at feeling powerful and neglecting the fact that some people just enjoy helping to cultivate minds and seeing how bright kids can be once they're steered in the right direction. I know the general teacher trope is a bunch of dreamless fat cynics but that's not the entirety. Sure it's a shitty job in terms of putting up with literally everyone bs but at its core I think it's great.

Read Harry Wong’s First 100 Days is School to learn how to make a positive classroom environment from the get-go. Also, if you have the time, go ahead and try to read any high school core lit that you haven’t read (TKaMB, Julius Caesar, Romeo and juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth, Homer, Death of a Salesman, The Crucible, etc.). Good luck man!