HP General

Would you rather have the Resurrection Stone or the Philosopher's Stone?

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing, etc. If you want to discuss history, religion, or the humanities, go to Veeky Forums. If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/. Philosophical discussion can go on either Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on Veeky Forums should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer.

Sage

So...it is ok?

Philosopher's Stone, obviously. I want to be immortal more than chat with ghosts, even if summoning and talking to major figures in western history is an intriguing idea.

>resurrect Jesus and the Buddha to get their hot takes
>limitless gold and life
Hard choice honestly. Probably the resurrection stone, truth seems better ultimately than gold or life

Philosophers stone, the resurrection stone would probably fuck me up more. Then I could be a rich immortal NEET who always has the option to peacefully die.

Gary Stu Potter is for brainlets. Go back to r/books.

>"Philosopher's Stone"
>the damned thing literally has nothing to do with its namesake
Even as a preteen autist who wore Naruto headbands without a hint of irony, I knew right then and there that the entire series would turn out to be an overhyped garbage.

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature
>discussion of literature
>literature

HP is not literature. Try reddit.

I'd just stick with the invisibility cloak to be honest. That's the whole morale of the deathly hallows tale. And why Harry drops the stone and breaks the elder wand to throw it away. And the only reason why he ever got to touch the philosophers stone was because of the spell put on it by Dumbledore: it can only be held by those who will never use it.

People saying HP is crap, I totally get it, BUT- if we are talking Childrens / YA fiction it doesnt get much better. I'll be reading the books to my son when he's old enough. Along with the Hobbit, Huckleberry Finn and various Dickens stuff

Why didn't Harry explode when he was bitten by the basilisk?
Why does the knight bus exist if wizards can just apparate?
Why can't the Weasley dad count muggle numbers if he's an expert on them?
Why, if all it takes to block a death spell is someone to sacrifice themselves for someone else out of love, doesn't happen more often? Do other people not love each other as much as Lilly Potter loved her child?
Did the twins not see Peter Pettigrew on the marauders map?
Why does polyjuice potion sometimes change your voice but other times not?
Why can't Snape get over the fact that he was bullied as a child?

Well frankly, I would rather stop talking about one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>Implying Jesus is dead

>basilisk
?
>knight bus
Apparating is difficult and many wizards suck at it. Also, people below 17 need to travel as well.
>Weasley dad
Arthur Weasley is fascinated by Muggles but not an expert on them by any means - this is obvious and frequently used for comic relief.
>blocking avada kedavra
The circumstances of Lily's death were unique, to say the least. First you have the prophecy, Harry's connection with Voldemort, Voldemort offering to spare Lily's life, and possibly even meaning to do it for Severus's sake, his fractured soul... It's not a plothole that a collection of very unusual circumstances coalesces into an unusual magical effect.
>Pettigrew
This is a valid question. Note, though, that a map which shows the name of every person in the castle would turn into a squiggly mess if you don't squint at it. Scabbers seems to have remained in the Gryffindor common room most of the time, and his name probably overlapped with a bunch of other people.
>Polyjuice
No idea about this one.
>Snape
Because he is an bitter, immoral, obsessed person with a shitty childhood.

I first thought this thread was about Lovecraft. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

I know it's lower literature, but you can't deny it's very well planned and beautifully designed

>but you can't deny it's very well planned and beautifully designed
Yes I fucking can. It's a wildly inconsistent world, full of plot holes and wish fulfillment which are never explained or justified for the simple reason that "it's magical and cool".

i would rather have the stone roses

The Cartographer's Latrine

I'd have Ginny

>very well planned

Nope. Just nope. How magic works should tell you everything about how much planning JK Rowling did for the series. Take teleportation, for example. They have the spell, the portkeys and stupid fireplace transport system? The fuck?

I would rather have multiple horcruxes scattered throughout the world.

How was Snape immoral if he agreed to go undercover in Voldemort's band and do his best to sabotage it while stepping on his heart for the greater good (fragging Dumbledore)?

Rowling