Children's Lit

Around what age is good to start reading novels to a kid? What are some of your first favorite books? I have been anxiously awaiting the day when the young scholar years for more substance in the bed time story. I feel that time is very near indeed. Best novels for K-5th grade or so?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Price's_Adventure_series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Bible.

Unless you put headphones on the pregnant woman's belly and constantly play 24/7 an audiobook of Ulysses to your unborn child, he/she/zhe will never have the possibility of becoming a GREAT AMERICAN NOVELIST.

First of all, who says I didn't? And second of all, Jesus, I certainly would not encourage any kind of mine to be a writer. I'm only trying to continue to nourish a love for reading, and education in general.

>Around what age is good to start reading novels to a kid?
11-12.
>What are some of your first favorite books?
Animal Farm, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Hobbit
>Best novels for K-5th grade or so?
Literally anything they'll find remotely interesting so as to get them to keep reading and enjoy it. I say Harry Potter somewhat unironically - read book, watch movie; read next book, watch next movie; rinse/repeat. Kids love that shit.

It's a good idea to choose the reading material based on what the kid likes. At a young age developing joy from reading is just as important as anything else they will get from it.

>To Kill A Mockingbird
wtf it's about rape and black people

I think 11-12 is a perfectly reasonable age to have discussions about rape, and black People.

Young kids need to learn healthy archetypes. That's what folklore and fairytales are for. I'm incredibly grateful to my mom for reading me stuff like John Henry, Paul Bunyan, Johhny Appleseed, and singing songs like Erie Canal, Puff the Magic Dragon, all despite her being an Eastern Euro immigrant.

Kids should start reading novels out of their own volition whenever their ready, though you should encourage them.

My dad read me bible stories- though I think that he only did that because he was somewhat at a loss for what else to read me, but I'm still glad that I was exposed to religion without any kind of obligation to believe it. It's just nice in general, and there's a lot of 365 bible stories kind of books that makes it really easy.

Other than that, I think some exciting adventure books would be nice. I'm looking into these books right now:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Price's_Adventure_series
and trying to figure out if they're the same books I read as a kid. Personally, they're what I'd choose to read to my young kid. Some Roald Dahl too, and Diana Wynne Jones of course. I'm also very partial to Tamora Pierce and Patricia Wrede.

>nourish a love for reading
do by example. if your kid sees you reading all the time, and has even a little bit of curiosity, they'll be spurred to look at books themselves. Just make sure you have a huge selection of books lying around, so they're easily accessible, and they can explore on their own.
If your kid isn't curious, they're fucked, sorry.

Don't even bother. Children have absolutely zero interest in reading now that more stimulating distractions exist. Kids see no point in staring at words in a world of tablets, YouTube, and videogames, and good luck convincing them otherwise.

Forcing you're child to sit and listen to you read some boring story they don't give fuck about in what they consider an outdated and inferior medium will only make them resent you.

so you've never met a kid in real life, huh

>owning a tablet
>your child has access to youtube
>has access to video games
you're doing something wrong padre

This Brothers Grimm and Astrid Lindgren are great sources for this.

Some novels and authors:

>Treasure Island
>Robinson Crusoe
>Chronicles of Narnia
>The Sword and the Stone
>Tove Jannson
>The Wind in the Willows
>A Wizard of Earthsea
>A Wrinkle in Time
>Jules Verne
>H.G. Wells
>Alice in Wonderland
>Roald Dahl
>The Jungle Book
>Water Babies (if you get a modern edition...)
>The Secret Garden

You can start young, even if you can't read them novels yet. Short childrens' stories and kid-friendly adaptations of mythology and folklore are enjoyable even for very young kids.

I'd add black beauty and swiss family robinson, but overall a very good list.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have quiet reading time as a family, and adults do set an example by reading frequently, and since she was very tiny she has followed suit, spending extended periods of time alone "reading" long before she actually Pulid read. We aren't very religious, but I do find religious texts Valuble and relevant. Trying to introduce her to the concept of a greater power has been tricky for me, though. We have both traditional Christian bible stories in the house as well as Greek and Roman myth.
Thanks forthesuggestions.

My kids havebeen exposed to books since birth. My eldest gets 15 minutes of tablet time once or twice weekly, absolute tops. And those are apps which are provided by the school. Both my young children find books very entertaining indeed. I've done my utmost to make sure their attention spans are not destroyed by YouTube, Nick Jr. And whatever else fucked up shit these kids stare at on their screens like zombies at thegrocery stores today.

I own almost half of those already, and thank you for the other suggestions. It's funny, although I have myBlue Fairy and other Grimms books from my children's lit college courses, way back in the day, I confess I actually forgot to consider actually reading them to my kids!! Duh! And I fuckingLOVED Dahl as a kid, he was def one of my early favorites. I think they will be ready for that in a couple years.

Read kid-friendly versions of the greeks.

Mythology books are always good. Collections of folk storys are always great books since they're short and kids can read a whole story in one sitting. Little House on the Prarie is also a great series.

Actaully

reddit plz go

If your kid isn’t reading Pynchon by age 5, make it look like an accident

Anyone remember Magic Tree House?

Attached: magic-tree-house.gif (446x299, 94K)

Oh, I 'member.

Attached: berries.jpg (423x377, 24K)

He said 'a good age to start reading' not 'a good way to be indoctrinated'

Great stuff user. I'd add The Dragons of Blueland series by Ruth Stiles Gannett, it's an old but very cozy choice for kids.

Attached: dragon[1].jpg (1600x1087, 304K)

>blackpill
Dismissed.

I think my parents starting reading novels to me when I was around 5 or so. They would read me myths and Aesop's tales. The first novel they read to me was Dr Doolittle and I would ask them to read it again after we finished. That would always read a chapter every night. If you have books around, the kid will tell you when they're interested in longer books.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Through the Looking Glass
Sylvie and Bruno
The Hunting of the Snark
The Secret Garden
The Jungle Books
Sophie's World
Anne of Green Gables
The Moomins books
Captain Courageous
A Year and a Day (if your kid doesn't ask any questions about the author; if he/she does, never mind)
At the Back of the North Wind
Lilith
Treasure Island
Watership Down

Who is the author of A Year and a Day?

I googled A Year and a Day and it came up with some romance novel set in Scotland, so I think I am missing something.

they should be reading by age 6 or 7 but its already been mentioned there is zero chance of them reading in YT-Xbox reality. they’re also going to grow up being told to code as the main job and computer faggots are illiterate

My 5yo is reading simple kinder age books by now. The question, since you missed it, is when are they ready to be read novels.
And it's not that hard to limit your kids media exposure. I am a completely lazy person, and non helicopter style parent, but if you never give your kids the tablet/phone, they will never get obsessed with it. They watch things in PBS or Netflix, but it's just like TV. JUST DONT LET THEM WATCH IT ALL FUCKING DAY it's not hard.
Also the caps were an accident and I left it in.

Attached: image.jpg (650x650, 70K)

I really liked the picture books of Chris van Allsburg, young me found them very intriguing and enigmatic compared to the usual fare

The Redwall books were my go-to YA novels

William Mayne

Mark Helprin's A Kingdom Far and Clear: The Complete Swan Lake Trilogy