What makes you feel like the stakes are real, and that plot armor wont always be there to shield the characters?

What makes you feel like the stakes are real, and that plot armor wont always be there to shield the characters?

Attached: 1511737028608.jpg (640x384, 22K)

When they shit themselves uncontrollably

When there's as many characters as pages

And they all shit themselves uncontrollably.

When my medieval fantasy details the tax policies of fictional kingdoms.

In the process of writing a book, I too genuinely want to know this.

Which, ironically, gurm doesn't do in the 10,000 pages of his ebin garbage series.

Do what Macross did and kill the protagonist in the middle of the story.

Attached: f.png (405x306, 178K)

What was Eddard's tax policy?

What Martin did, kill off the main character about 20% of the way through the story

what series does this?

There is literally nothing wrong with this.

Attached: 1349636519167.gif (377x390, 539K)

You need to actually make them fail and feel powerless sometimes. Let them hoist their own petards. Make them chastise themselves for their mistakes, and draw palpable pleasure from their successes. But make their failures act as lessons that lead them to future success, and when they do succeed, you should strive to make it feel "earned" rather than simply bestowed upon them by their being the main character.

But it's just fiction. The stakes are never real.

Attached: Anova-Steak-Guide-Sous-Vide-Photos15-beauty-1500x1125.jpg (1500x1125, 323K)

That's why he said "feel" real, user.

But that's just deception.

didnt roy die at the very beggining of the series?

Raskolnikov

Naw dude it was like 20 episodes in.

Fiction is quite literally internal deception

When the book I'm reading isn't genre fiction.

The stakes aren't real. You have to make characters that people either want to die or not want to die. You have to make characters intriguing enough to follow. That's what compels people to keep turning the pages.

Realism is a meme.

If you let it, and read books that work through deception.

IMO arbitrarily killing off major characters just to make your story feel "real" is usually shitty writing. I think it's often far more interesting to see a character fail so hard that they nearly die or hit their lowest point and later learn from their mistakes, rather than their death be used as a springboard for the development of another character (which you can still achieve with the former scenario). It's only plot armor if the characters are always saved by the power of sheer coincidence or divine intervention.

Fucking autism.

As opposed to being deeply emotionally invested in words on a page, describing autismal, detailed fantasy worlds about dragons and shit

That user was probably being facetious, but with a post like this, I'm convinced you actually do have autism.

Attached: Wizard what.jpg (840x630, 110K)

Never pleasant when a protagonist dies half way and we follow other characters.

Stakes should be - does the protagonist win / reach their goals? And if they do win, it's because of their character. And if they lose, it's despite them doing their best.

Isn't this the gentleman that keeps slaughtering all of his mains, including Jon Snu, who we have no reason to think alive?

I'll bet GRRM loves it when the steaks are real.

Attached: george-rr-martin-gi.jpg (900x506, 337K)

Yes

If you want people to stress about possible dangers to the main characters, you're going to need to kill off a few. But doing it too often cheapens the shock value and makes people not want to get attached to characters since they seem destined to die anyway.
Also it's annoying, at least to me, when writers treat beloved, well-written character's deaths like tokens they can cash in for cheap shock whenever necessary.

this one

yeah characters should never have personal failings it should always be alien forces

haha cos hes a fat fuc

Is he part black? He looks like he has a bit of the African strain in him