Anyone here used to be addicted to technology/internet but broke away from it...

Anyone here used to be addicted to technology/internet but broke away from it? I stopped playing video games couple months ago but I still find myself looking at worthless shit on my phone just to not feel awkward or proscratinate. How’d you guys break your internet dependence or addiction?

Attached: AA03764C-008E-4071-AB50-EC6FB9EDC129.jpg (450x470, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QhnsC2V4_0w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The only technology addiction I have is this fucking site

FPBP

I'm trying to do this now as well. My problem is that when I get off the computer to read, I immediately start to feel sleepy. It's like the computer is the only thing that keeps me awake. Anyone have any suggestions? I mean obviously the first answer is to sleep more, but I feel fine when I'm on the computer so it's confusing.

I can't control it at all honestly. Only way to do something else is for me to never turn on the computer.

Damn bros same here. I sometimes go on streaks where I’ll keep off the internet for a week or so but then the next week I’m sucked in again and this just repeats and repeats. Fuck my life I just wanna be productive

Honestly the only way to break away from it is for it to go away. Lost power last week and it was out for some time. I read a book in a day that would have honestly taken me months because I read like 2 pages then go back to play video games or shitpost. Also felt so much more human being away from it all. Of course i'm right back at it again and depressed.

>Anyone have any suggestions?
hows your diet and do you exercise daily?

I'm considering to add Veeky Forums to my Block Site chrome add-on, as it is preventing me from actual reading. So, that's an advice. Make a list of all the addicting shit and block it from your life. Delete apps, block sites.

most of the people on this site are addicted to the internet/4chin, this really isn't a good place to be asking

get lamp.

Diet is pretty good, I don't exercise enough so you're right, that would help (though I'm not overweight or anything).

I don't feel like light is an issue but honestly I've never really considered it, so thanks, that's something to think about.

I've embraced it. There's nothing else I want to do that isn't already on here.

I spend sometimes upwards of 12 hours a day on Veeky Forums skipping across boards arguing with lunatics

Same here.

Does anyone else fantasise about getting rid of all the screens and moving somewhere remote like a log cabin in a snowy mountain with nothing to do but read books, have sex, chop wood, and hunt?

Tbh even when I try to stop using my phone all day all I see is everyone else's faces buried in their screens. I wish I was born long before the internet.

I'm not gonna tell you to get off the computer, but couldn't you at least play videogames or something? Literally anything would be a better use of your time than 12 hours of Veeky Forums per day.

This is my approach. I've almost completely cut out YouTube and a lot of Veeky Forums time and spend it on books and video games.

video games? Are you sure this is better?

Veeky Forums is a pit of toxicity and self-pity. Occasionally you can make a meaningful connection with someone, but the vast majority of the time it's a harmful environment.

Videogames may not be the best thing ever but they can at least provide novel experiences and make you think/feel/whatever. Plus if you play an MMO there are social opportunities.

I just wish people would reciprocate.

It's hard to put down the phone when the person you're talking to is glued to theirs. One day I got really pissed off and just decided to start working out and reading, but I wish I had just a few people in my social circle that are okay to switch off and just have a chat.

I like camping, hunting and fossiciking. It could be a wog thing though but all the families in our ethnic community always go on trips somewhere whether it's fishing or camping.

by maturing, by spending most of my time away from comp u toor

grab a book, drive somewhere, read it in your car.

Happened. I learned to use technology more meaningfully. A laptop with internet access and something to write with is a gift. I've cut all my consumption of crap down to a minimum. I leave my phone out of reach for hours at a time. I have areas in my house that are "offline". A table with a lamp for drawing/reading/planning.

I'm a bit of an oldfag so I remember what it was like in 1996. It's a good balance and perfect for you OP. You had internet communities (IRC/USENET), but there was also purpose to using the internet. There were videogames but they weren't made by "game designer" faggots who put 10 hours worth of tutorials, make you enter your credit card information twice, and all sorts of other time wasting stuff. Sure, there were addictive games but the time spent on them were meaningful.

TL;DR Things are bloated in 2018. Learn to use the technology in a meaningful way (with purpose in mind) and you will save a lot of time.

>tfw maturing away from vidja/Veeky Forums/leddit but also starting a career in programming

I'm immersing myself in computational skills but at the same time I'm yearning to spend my time away from the computer instead. Feels weird man.

Before the Internet I used to read all of the time. Then I went online and got addicted to MMOs and just kind of stopped reading for a while. Got back into reading a bit in college, but then I got into TF2 in a big way. I started to write intermittenly during this time too, but was never serious about it enough to really get much better. Finally I just kind of burned out on video games. I replaced them with a variety of things: friends, girlfriend, watching movies, getting stoned, browsing Veeky Forums, reading, and writing. I'm still hopelessly to the Internet in many ways, for example I am constantly checking twitter at work and browsing Veeky Forums on my phone. But at least I don't spend four hours a day playing TF2, drinking sake and getting fat inside my apartment with the curtains drawn fast. Now I go outside. I read way more than I used to. I'm not sure if I'm "happier" but I am "more fulfilled". My life is more varied and has more meaning and that's something.

I guess it all comes down to choices and how you want to spend your time. The best advice I can give is to think about what you are doing and if that is really what you want to be doing or not. Note that you also have to develop some kind of discipline about the important but less instantly-gratifying things. I used to not be able to read very much before getting bored but now I probably spend an hour a day reading and an hour writing. And, honestly, with work and maintaining relationships (which are both things you need to do to stay sane imo, even if you're an introvert), I'm not sure how you get more a couple of hours of free time per night anyway. And I don't really want to be wasting that time.

Attached: 1334464228287.jpg (2500x3019, 1.19M)

I can still be a video game addict.
Give me the right game and I'll play 15 hours a day for weeks until my fingers are red, itchy and swollen and my eyes are permanently sore.
That said, I haven't played a game in months.
Same thing happens with books, i'll read 1-2 pages in a week and give up or 800 in a week.

>not catholic or even christian
>decide to celebrate lent for giggles
>give up vidya
>tfw haven't played since

I gave up my phone for lent because I am both an intelligent man and a God fearing man.

this is pretty sound advice. i agree that the internet of 1996 seemed like a better balanced place than the internet of 2018. not because the hardware was better back then but because it was worse. i think the immense power of technology is just too intense compared to how slow everything is in real life. in an ideal world i think i'd spend like an hour max online a day: mainly to check mail, get news, make a post or two, and communicate with publishers.

if you think that's weird, try being an anarcho-primitivist stuck with a degree in computer science

i'd argue that mmos offer only the appearance of social opportunities. you'll make friends on them, but probably not life-long friends. i've been there and yes the experience feels real but it's just not the same as knowing someone in real life. it's better just to get to know your coworkers or trying online dating (with the intention of meeting them in real life after 2-3 messages).

Attached: justhavinaconversation.jpg (781x593, 75K)

>doing ascetic faggot shit

I've found every website turning to shit cured most of mine. A couple years ago I would waste hours here and on a couple other forums I visited. Now, there are only two or three threads per day worth looking at and my other hobby forums became so repetitive that it became boring. These days, I'll check this site a couple times and check the news a couple times and then I'll have run out of interesting internet.

Same thing happened with TV. I've seen every show I'm interested in seeing and don't typically like comitting the time for a movie so I don't end up watching very much.

at least i can make fun of hedonists now

Get cold turkey, it's a browser extension. You can just block yourself from sites you waste time on. Highly highly recc.

Meditation helps, it gives you weirdly high discipline for a while after you've done it, I always do productive shit after. Its been proven effective at breaking addictive neural networks in the brain.

reddit.com/r/nosurf inb4 reddit

Video games aren't the worst thing ever, it depends what you play. I'm playing Bloodborne again and it's got me more interested in reading some books again but most games aren't as interesting or well made as that.

Have you just started reading? Because when I did, I exactly experienced what you are right now. Three pages were all I could read before I felt my eyes closing.
The only way for me to beat this was reading and keeping at it, regardless of whether I felt drowsy. If at one point you can read 3 pages without getting tired and extend that to 4, 5, etc, you'll manage.

How'd you get rid of video games?

>if you think that's weird, try being an anarcho-primitivist stuck with a degree in computer science
You sound like that Neal Stephenson character in Crytonomicon

This

Not him but i just lost interest in them. So many better things to do and i've spent so much of my life playing video games that i have played all the past releases i'm interested in and newer games are just old games but shinnier with littler innovation or even worse.

Video game history is so short that if you have been gaming for a while you've probably played basically all the worthwhile stuff anyway.

Him, but same as this user. I eventually got bored of them and up to the point where I quit altogether I just found myself looking back and regretting all of the hours I spent on video games and how those hours could’ve been put to something else more useful or productive.

feed the emptiness you feel when you play for a long time

Read books on your computer. Or read out loud if you're alone, that will keep you awake.

Crypto trading for me.
Real life implications and its purely digital.
It's like my friend who quit playing CS:Go but dedicated all of his energy to Poker. He makes 10,000 on a good month, just playing virtual poker online.

I feel the same way when I read books, but not when I read on my phone or ereader. It's like my brain thinks it's getting its technology fix even though I'm reading Heidegger. Try that.
Sure a phone screen isn't the best way to experience great literature but at least I'm reading.

>online community about not being on the internet
>reddit
youtube.com/watch?v=QhnsC2V4_0w

it's called having self discipline

>replacing gaming addiction with gambling addiction
nice

Attached: 1497660113452.jpg (286x514, 44K)