30 pages in, why didn’t you guys tell me this book is fucking hilarious

30 pages in, why didn’t you guys tell me this book is fucking hilarious.

Attached: 85C7FF9F-BF2D-4912-8A38-765E57B4BC8E.jpg (620x827, 100K)

You didn't ask.

It's fucking hilarious

Make sure to go back and read the introduction when you're done.

You don't answer my calls

it gets funnier and then less

>reads 30 pages
>must make a thread on Veeky Forums

Why bother reading you stupid pleb?

>mfw the russian leaves his cigarette in H's toilet

>...she died of typhus in Corfu
Is a devastatingly sad line because it comes in the middle of all the lightness and humour of the first ~90 pages. He really knew his shit.

Nabokov is usually hilarious, even when he's being great in other ways. The conversations in Ada are just awesome dry wit.

Because it really isn't.

Nabokov singlehandedly killed the name "Lolita" for parents all over the world. There are probably more guys called Adolf than girls called Lolita.

Because by the end of the books its mostly just crushingly sad.

(Picnic, lighting)

In Spanish you at -ita to the end of female words to make them cute, little or junior. So someone who's name is Lola is also Lolita.

It's fucking hilarious.

fr, I fucking love the name but it's taboo now
Only sad for Lolita, Humbert doesn't deserve empathy

Not OP, but seriously, Lolita is one of the funniest books I have ever read. It beats almost all of the stand-up comedians. The guy just piles one joke after another, nonstop. I don’t know any other book that actually makes ones kidneys hurt with belly laughs, that makes one cry with laughter. Nabokov really had a genius for comedy.

I advice all of you to read the letter he wrote when he suffered from food poisoning. He made of that completely terrible experience an enormous comic prose-poem.

However, as many Anons have pointed out, in the end all of the narrative threads lead toward the final knot that is intensely heartbreaking. The final know of the book makes of feel knots chocking ones throat and heart.

Lolita is the diminutive form of Dolores. Which is a Spanish name and is used mainly in Spanish-speaking territories, anyway.

because its already classified as a tragicomedy?

>Only sad for Lolita, Humbert doesn't deserve empathy
I agree, and that's what I meant

Nonce

But the entire thing has us uncomfortably sympathizing for Humbert

im afraid to buy this gook

Are you in Thailand?

Only if you let him. I feel like his whole character is a trick by Nabokov
He purposefully bends things to his benefit, making him see sympathetic, when in reality he's a monster

the suffix -ita/ito means small
abuela -grandmother
abuelita - small grandmother
abuelo - grandfather
abuelito - small grandfather
where -O means masculine and -A means feminine

Just finished last night, thanks for that

It's a great crack

the suffix ito/ita are used to make something small or cute; either is correct.

oh okay, Spanish is my second language. thankyou anonita

I want to read it but I'm scared of going down a dark path again if you get me. I'm mentally healthy now but what if this brings out those thoughts again.

overrated desu. Decent prose overall, excellent at times, but aside from that and muh pedophilia, meh

Hey Nick Mount

What's so funny? I thought the entire first volume was boring and couldn't even keep interest up. Ended up missing most of it. Second vol was good though

Sorry, we've been trying to keep that one on under the covers. We don't want people talking about it too much.

(One of the most read books from the 20th Century)

Attached: banana.jpg (700x394, 20K)

The prose is great, not decent. You sound like a pseudo-intellectual.

The roadtrip parts went on too long, especially the second one I was having to force myself through it
Excellent otherwise

Hmmm