Does meditating really help if I have trouble staying focused on reading? What kinds of meditation work the best?

Does meditating really help if I have trouble staying focused on reading? What kinds of meditation work the best?

Attached: 20108347_1455547537847329_6178876130884470954_n.png (500x300, 175K)

bump, want to know also more

Meditation is an all-around good thing.

However, if you want to improve reading concentration, best thing to do is...read. And maybe quit image boards because they'll zap your attention span to absolute shit.

meditation will lower blood pressure, raisw visual acuity, make your thoughts cleaner and produce hallucinations or disassociative states

>produce hallucinations or disassociative states

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 2.54.25 AM.png (336x396, 208K)

Thank you, but what kind of meditation?
I'm looking for a completely no-nonsense practice without any oversimplified new age crap.

>Oh boy a chance to recommend meditating to someone

Attached: 1592049323.gif (800x371, 193K)

You got an iPhone? I use that Headspace app.

Literally just close your eyes and try to focus on your breathing. Start for ten minutes. Build up by five minutes every day (or other day or whatever) after.

>thread about meditation
>fukn neckbeard pseuds talkn bout meditation lmao

Not them but there are usually three types in the buddhist traditions

Metta, Samadhi, Vipassana

Yes it does. I've seen pic related being memed on this board and it's quite good. Don't expect huge improvements in concentration right away though

Also is absolutely right

Attached: 510CubrLA8L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (260x320, 33K)

What's with this meme? Feels is meant to be relatable.

There is no magical trick. Just pick an object of concentration (your breath, your body, a mental image like a candle, a real object) and try not to loose focus. When you get distracted and you notice that, just go back focusing on your object of choice. Don t get lost in all the meditation practice, they are all good.

This thras is so cringey. Holy shit get your GED first or actually go to college. Fucking weeblet brainlet who goes on Veeky Forums, gets brainwashed by posts, and somehow thinks reading Ulysses is going to make him into something. No.... You are damn useless.

self owning ugly white kid who found god on a white supremacist pedophile board, voted for trump, smells like BO so has to wear cologne, has shit lifts but was already chubby so he thinks he’s really strong, patchy ugly beard to hide big peasant chin, ruddy eyes, brown hair, had acne, drinks lots of milk so his shits are disgusting, bad knees already at 21, in a state school mom
and dad paid for off for CS/ENG, has had sex with 3 women, 2 of them were gross, has never lasted longer than 5 minutes, drinks nightly, would miscegenate but says nigger constantly, believes nordicism, talks a lot about genetics but doesn’t have the math skills to understand the methodology in a genomics study, thinks he was probably a viking in a past life, was on /pol/ in 2015 when the majik happened, is sure that ancient gods talk to him, has reported mexicans to ICE, wasted ICE’s time because they were legal immigrants, fantasizes about fucking broan women at his school who are repulsed by him

What a fucking weirdo lmao

The one that's instagrammable.

Meaning you're the weirdo, not OP.

what tradition does this follow? following currently the first steps of standard Theravada as in working through samatha hoping to reach access concentration in a few months and then do vipassana work

i've heard good things about Mahasi Sayadaw, not sure if it's very different to standard theravada

If you want to improve your concentration, it'll have to be an all day affair. I've found the most important things are: unitasking and task commitment.
Unitasking is pretty straightforward, just try and do one thing at a time. There's been a bunch of research on multitasking, and the consensus is that it really kills your facility of concentration.
Commit to a task. Decide on a goal and stick with it. If your goal is 'I will read for an hour', read for an hour. You'll undoubtedly start feeling a strong urge pulling you away from reading, but you have to power through that, because that's when you're really training the concentration muscle. It sounds like some captain obvious shit, but task commitment is probably one of the most important things. Do it with everything. If you're watching a movie, watch the movie all the way through. Don't start shit posting on /tv/ 20 minutes in.
Start small if need be. If you can only focus for 5 minutes on something, focus for 5 minutes, but actually do it. You can then start working your way up.
That's what I've been doing for a couple of weeks now, and I'm seeing tangible benefits and it feels like I'm finally uncucking my mind.

Also meditate.

Attached: kazuma.jpg (500x314, 65K)

It combines mindfulness and concentration practice, samadi and sati I think. I don't know much about the different traditions tbqh, but the book's on libgen if you want to get an idea of it

Attend tai chi classes at your city’s rec department.
Practice daily.
It also includes meditation like spinning the tai chi ball. Even if you don’t believe in chi it has psychosomatic benefits.

Still rather be this than some nu-male who thinks having a low bloodpressure attachmentless life is desirable

was hoping you would bite, i don’t even meditate and personally the whole affair appears to be servile slavish behavior mandated by the state and religious authorities. i just wanted to let you and the other /pol/acks know that i know what you all are like behind the black mirror

So we're in agreement and you're just touchey about encountering a projected image of a /pol/ack based on a single post.
I don't even use /pol/, I just like taking low effort opportunities to provoke p-zombies

>having low blood pressure is bad

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 77K)

If you want your blood pressure real low try killing yourself

You seem quite agitated. You should try meditating.

Attached: brl.jpg (645x588, 57K)

Why, why not be agitated?

the newest dead horse by /pol/