Is it possible to determine what is 'good' literature on any sort of objective level?

Is it possible to determine what is 'good' literature on any sort of objective level?

Attached: samuel-beckett-digital-library-paris-apartment2-e1465300531539.jpg (1024x570, 72K)

>objective
Of course not.

/thread

You can certainly determine "better" or "worse", but the distinctions between "excellent" and "good" to "average" to "bad" to "atrocious" are extremely blurred things. There is a big leap, but designating them in specifics would be difficult.
But we can make some kind of system. I'd debate that, say, the Bible is better than Empress Theresa, Empress Theresa is better than foreskin crust, and foreskin crust is better than Infinite Jest.

Definitely not this hack

I agree that you can make a system somewhat 'consistent', but that doesn't mean objective at all.

Yes, wait a few centuries and let history decide

>objective

Attached: 1491670001302.jpg (251x242, 14K)

Kant believed in balancing the sensuous and the formal drives within people and said you should taste literature with your mind tongue. Like some food is objectively good, some art is as well. The rest is taste you can improve with training.

Avocado is objectively good. But theres always the autist that says "i dont like avocado hurr".

That's because he has bad taste.

ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard are repulsive. most whites, spics, and basketball americans think all of these are objectively good but they’re actually slavish sauces thrown onto peasant meals which only a population of cattle like Americans and the European middle class could enjoy. Kant was a weasel, an idealist coward and had awful taste.

The harder it is to read, and the older it is, the more Veeky Forums likes it.
Objectively, good literature is whatever you enjoy

Attached: 4FF611FD-EC52-470D-8DCC-BF08E0935EA2.jpg (1600x900, 140K)

Leave mayo out of this and I’ll let you have the other two

No. However, it is possible to determine objectively bad literature.

>ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard
That's not what Americans are eating. My mother makes great mayonnaise and ketchup. What you westerners buy in stores has nothing to do with the foodstuffs mentioned above. Just like "cheese" in a toothpaste-like tube, hamburger "meat", "butter" squished out of peanuts, and whatever else they feed you with.

Yes, but it depends on what you think the purpose/value of literature is.

fuck off

Yes, ultimately everything is objective and we should always be on the lookout for systems to understand the operations of that objectivity.

That depends on how we define ‘objective’ in this context.