Is there any hope for me?

Is there any hope for me?

Also general stack thread

Attached: 20180312_192423.jpg (2880x2160, 1.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8m6tWQ6QQPE
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CNMZW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520922329&sr=8-2&pi=CB1275522461_AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=plotinus road to reality
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Sanderson

youtube.com/watch?v=8m6tWQ6QQPE

There is literally nothing wrong with enjoying fantasy

Everything is wrong with fantasy. Firstly \, it’s stuff that cannot and will not ever happen. And largely concerns such banal things as a suspect powers or things like an EPIC warrior cutting down ten men, so how a bout you get off the literature board and go read an anime kid
Go read manga. go play a video game or watch marvel or any of teen dozens of literal garbage modern people like. This millennial generation man it’s going downt the tubes, going down the CJ king tubes and it’s bevudr of people like YOU who sit there like "oh so cool Batman save the day with his lasers " or some shit how would I know. Read th’’’ CLASSICS. READ SOMETHING with actual literarrarly value you massive, massive plebe. You mancihodren with your Sanderson

What a joke , and I don’t mean in ahaha kind of way

kek I love how people like you aren't parodies, you couldn't elaborate half a page of actual argument about your absolute baseless, insecure and absurdist sense of 'literary' superiority. Please look inwards with honesty and you may still be saved from mental degradation user

Attached: 1418048238450.gif (700x704, 295K)

well said

>he actually payed actual currency to own books by brandon sanderson
not even that pretty Ulysses can save you

> lol guys he reads fantasy like lotr which is exactly the same as the people who watch Jersey Shore.

Nothing wrong with fantasy, buckaroo. And it doesn't even come close to normie levels

You don't have to say literally if you're saying something that is literal.

throw away everything below ulysses. actually, throw away ulysses, you don't deserve it.

ok, ill keep studying the greatest ideas every put down in history, keep reading about dragons or something.

>And largely concerns such banal things as a suspect powers or things like an EPIC warrior cutting down ten men,

Wtf I hate Greek epics now?

What I’ve been reading lately

Attached: 9AF3770E-C275-4ED7-ACE7-33CDEC13E246.jpg (3264x2448, 1.5M)

>Read the Torah
>It's about fucking taxes and shit
>Was told it had all kinds of spooky prophecies and whatnot
>mfw Neon Genesis is more interesting and deep

Attached: 1514242210885.png (640x640, 12K)

bad bait

The Sanderson books are almost as fat as all the other books. Goddammit.

>no Koran

It is gourgous isn't it? I'm really looking forward to coming home and cracking it open

Which would you recommend?

Id rather not i really enjoyed most of these. Sapiens and Mastery kinda sucked tho

Yeah it took me a long time to get through the first 2 books. I just audiobooked the 3rd, oathbringer.

Attached: 1520913215822314731438.jpg (2880x2160, 2.03M)

>It's stuff that cannot and will not ever happen
>read the classics

I'm going to assume that's bait.

What do you think about Ulysses, OP? Have you read The Odyssey and The Iliad?

Also if you enjoyed The Prince you should branch into more Philosophical books. Read Plato's dialogues they're very thought provoking.

Attached: 1517382971684.jpg (736x1104, 99K)

Yeah Plato is definitely on my back log, I just received ULYSSES so I'm only like 2 chapters in. Really comfy so far

Attached: 15209143356761860703051.jpg (2880x2160, 1.49M)

Life as a Classics student...

Attached: i22.jpg (480x852, 60K)

Power level growing pains

Attached: 57BAF752-D16A-4F95-B721-B9E9A3E4DBA1.jpg (3264x2448, 2.08M)

That's a sexy fucking stack

damn aristotle u thicc

hey i have that bottom right plato book! i got it for 3.99 from an amazon mistake, good vibes

Haha, ya it made me happy to see it in your picture. I made the post about the pricing mistake (or whatever it was). I waited until I got it in to recommend it, but I hope you don’t regret it, I like what I’ve read in it so far

Thnx, it’s the healthiest alternative to a social life that I’ve been able to find so far

10/10 thank you so much for the info. i tried to grab 2 but they had reverted it shortly after haha.

>say some deep stuff
>people kill loads of trees 2.5 thousand years later so they can read said stuff

What influence

The Coming Insurrection is laughably bad LARPer shit rehashing tired points from the 60s

>philosophy, the most valuable information to be put on paper, is the problem, not the endless series’ of shit fiction that really should be forgotten

The world is ending, or at least the world as we know it. Our use of trees will not contribute to this change at all. Prioritize better.

Shut up bitch

Attached: emphasis.png (1341x1108, 155K)

Is this a stack?

Attached: Capture.png (1220x816, 1.96M)

bet your ass it is. did you enjoy crime and punishment?

In no way did I try to insinuate that. Of course I know that for every copy of The Republic there are a hundred Danielle Steel books out there. I just suddenly realized how enduring these ancients are

That was my pic and I agree completely, I’m still glad I read it since it seems like it influences a lot of “edgy” leftists these days. Plus there are a lot of commie girls where I live, I’m going to leave it in prominent view on my dresser.

Haha my bad, I completely misunderstood. I’m stupid and triggered

mirin' that joyce cover

here's muh stack

Attached: stack2.png (830x472, 716K)

Modest. Only that alchemy and symbolism book catches my eye

I try to alternate stacks. I'm saving Alchemy for last.

That cover tho.

I'm hoping to enjoy my stack. It's been a hot minute since I've read The Odyssey.

Attached: 20180312_221231.jpg (2592x1944, 1.62M)

I was thinking about either starting The Stormlight Archive series or Malazan Book of the Fallen.
Both series are huge and would be time consuming, so I need to know I'm making the right choice about what one to get into.
Any suggestions on what one I should pick?

I love Middlemarch. Also why is your Grapes of Wrath so thicc? I haven’t read it since high school, but Isn’t it significantly shorter than C&P and Tres Amigos?

>my latest purchases contain nothing but Penguins
Feels bad, man.

Attached: IMG_20180313_162537.jpg (3036x4048, 2.74M)

Actually, there's a Vintage there. Excuse the blindness.

I honestly couldn't tell you in the case of El Tres Amigos. The Dover Thrift books have smaller font sizes.

Attached: 321EB50C-1C93-4D1C-B784-F09F36AA5CF4.jpg (3264x2448, 1.83M)

>every put down in history
You can't even type in English, you goon.

Just bought pic related.

It's going to be nice to read a book about political economy from the early 20th century.

And also, I'm going to be buying the following at some point in the near future:

Ibn Al-Haytham - On the Configuration of the World

Attached: vilfredo pareto.jpg (1349x395, 71K)

>$74.99

Attached: laffing hot grills.png (449x401, 490K)

you can regrow trees you fucking idiot

How do I develop this prose style?

It was a really good deal. If you look up the book now, the best price is like $106.

Nigger just fucking download a pdf wtf

>they think $75 is a lot

It's kind of a nuisance, but whatever man. Jeez.

>75 bucks for a fucking book
>"it was a really good deal"

Attached: wow.jpg (345x336, 214K)

I just got that purple book called the significance of Neoplatonism () two days ago for 25 buckaroos and now the cheapest I can find it is 650-900. I notate and underline the fuck out of it as a ‘fuck you’ to the idea of money and profit relative to the value of knowledge, and that’s why I’m a dumb lil’ bitch

Yep. I've spent one hundred dollars before on books.

Do none of you work on here? You don't have taste in primary texts or anything, is that why you're so used to paying $5 for your shitty thriftstore fiction buys?

This board is full of NEETs and humanities loan slaves. It explains why they rationalize their used Penguin classics collection and Marx

>75 US Dollars
>More valuable than the contents of a book

Hahaha, 1 for $810, 1 for $1900

stormlight. theres only 3 books so you'll finish it sooner.

malazan if you like epic high fantasy
stormlight if you like garbage

What makes Stormlight garbage?

Also, if anyone here has an interest in Plotinus or profit, someone has a copy of Rist’s Plotinus: Road to reality up on Amazon for $50 while the next cheapest is 330 and then the rest are 800-1200. It is definitely one of the best books on Plotinus out there and you will definitely make a considerable amount of money from resale (should you think it is not worth keeping (I already have a copy and I will definitely be keeping mine))

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CNMZW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520922329&sr=8-2&pi=CB1275522461_AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=plotinus road to reality

There are shitty editions that are reasonably priced, but this edition will sell for a lot more

>Machiavelli
>Robert Greene
lol get on my level, pleb!

Attached: 426192.jpg (254x400, 36K)

There may be nothing wrong with fantasy, but there is everything wrong with Sanderson.

The effect of emphasis is reduced when the audience is overexposed.

Bitch.

Your """'literature"""" is no less fantastical. You have no arguments outside of you trying to be some pseudoaristocrat snowflakes club elitist.

How much did these cost?

>Ulysess

Attached: giraffe_throwing_up_by_thacheeze.png (451x463, 94K)

This is going to be my next 6+ months

Attached: Stack.jpg (933x1535, 129K)

>reading the most generic genre fiction in existence
You're an idiot.

have fun letting them cannibalize your mind

you just proved my point with your post retard

>$75
a lot must be sad being a pleb with shit taste im buying german and french 1st editions for thousands

Nope.
Read the second definition retard.

Dude, seriously, like, seriously, read a significant amount of Plato before you get too far into those guys. I would feel awful for you if you finish flipping all of those pages before you realize they were just jerrymandering plato’s thought to fit Christian dogma. First of all, I think they can’t be understood at all apart from a proper understanding of the dialogues (Aquinas because all of the people he ripped from ripped from Plato) and also because once you realize the extent to which they improperly parroted Platonism you might realize how small the value of original content in Christianity is, while realizing how powerfully valuable Platonism is, potentially causing you to drastically improve the quality of your life. I just don’t want you to waste all that time before coming to this realization so you don’t come to resent the whole philosophy thing altogether. I got a masters of theology and jumped on the Augustine train pretty hard but thankfully my mind was still open enough to see the debt to Plato with enough clarity to bring me to reason. Or enjoy those books, either way

I've read all of plato's dialogues, most of them twice. I always thought Aquinas was more indebted to Aristotle than Plato.

If you are under 20 absolutely if under 25 then probably.

Hey have you read any good criticism or refutations of scholasticism by people who actually understand it properly?

Ive been looking into the subject and it seems like only dyed in the wool scholastics give the matter any attention which makes things rather onesided.

I also have a fear that a lot of philosophy especially when it comes to the important question of God might just be word games and reification

Ya definitely, directly with regard to terms and concepts, but Aristotle basically shat out a bastardized version of Plato’s thought, so Aquinas is rebranded (by using augustine’s Platonism to fill in the christological gaps that Aristotle’s atheism leaves) bastardized Platonism. Other people may not understand it as radically as I do, and I’m not trying to convince anyone of this view here, I’m just saying that this is the conclusion I’ve reached. Anyone else is free to his/her own view, I just know I would feel like a complete idiot if I hadn’t read and understood Plato before tearing through all of summa and city etc.

I read a ton of papers and scholarly works specifically related to the relationship between Platonism and early Christianity (Philo provides the connection your looking for) and I’m pretty sure at least a quarter of the writers (the brightest of the bunch) have a secretive understanding with one another (the scholars focused on this small but important subject matter are not great in number) and say tongue in cheek statements along the lines of: ‘well of course there is no reason to suppose causation in the similarity between Paul and Plato on this that or the other point’ while clearly there is a good reason to suppose causation. My professor who focused on this subject matter, when discussing his specific field, mentioned how far beyond the statistical average the suicide rate was among his peers in the same field. Imagine the pressure of being locked into a career surrounded by people whose lives revolve around a certain belief, while your field of expertise provides you with the means to dissolve these beliefs, even by accident, at any moment. By publishing a paper you could accidentally ruin tens of millions of lives because the historicity of Christ is completely defeated by scholarship regarding the history of philosophy. It’s a strange fucking world

In The Miso Soup gave me one of the most questionable boners when some woman has her ear sliced off and stuffed into her vagina. Fucking read it on the train too.

Also if it wasn't for How To Bomb The US Gov'T then this would be an OK stack. Just that one meme book ruins it dude.

Would marry just for the book collection

gosh dang my dude
Are you a full-time philosophy student or something?

reading Iliad now

Attached: IMAG0184.jpg (3000x4000, 3.23M)

I work in an abandoned coffee shop, so I read 7 hours a day on the clock. It’s like being a full time student but I get paid instead of paying

god I wish that were me

Thats what scares me about this, Im time poor so investing a half a decade into understanding the Greeks and Aquinas just to get some peace of mind which could be pulled out from under my feet is a worrying prospect.

How do the works of Philo help with issue of scholasticism given how much earlier it is than those thinkers like Aquinas and co.

> historicity of Christ is completely defeated by scholarship regarding the history of philosophy. It’s a strange fucking world
Can you recommend any good articles on that you are selling a really interesting story here.

Sanderson is the author

Mark’s gospel (the original, that was used to produce all of the other gospels) was originally said to have been written in Alexandria, Philo’s city. Philo was considered to be a church father by the early church. The fact that you can’t actually find a significant number of resources dedicated to comparing the creator of the idea of the Jewish saviour only begotten son of God, healer, cupbearer of God, ‘sent from heaven to earth for the sake of God’s church’ who was a sacrifice for the sins of the people (literally all of the qualities of Jesus were preexistent in Philo’s son of God (who was the follow-up to Moses (think of Joshua, moses’s sucesor whose name is identical to jesus’ in Greek))) to the Christian phenomenon is significant in itself. I wrote my thesis on this issue and could not find anyone that has made an attempt to build a thorough comparison. My guess is that it doesn’t take scholars very long to reach this conclusion, given the glaringly obvious similarities, but it would completely go against their self interest to publish anything about it, there is no benefit in it, so they kill themselves or busy themselves with the semantics of Paul, professionally while trying to understand Platonism more fully on the side as their real passion. There is something worth learning in Platonism, I am certain of it.

Did you face any pushback when writing and publishing your thesis?

Also what other books would you recommend to someone trying to figure out the question of whether or not there is a God at all?

I got a straight A from one professor on a forty-fifty page paper on the topic and then a C- on the longer, more thorough thesis from another professor, so I’m not sure if that is pushback in itself, but they were always kind to me to my face. It was definitely uncomfortable presenting it to a priest who helped me get into the program that helped me a lot with funding (and I still feel very guilty about the whole thing, but it would have been worse if tried to write it on something I wasn’t passionate about). With regard to whether or not there is a god, Phaedo is pretty good. Also the Taoists, Jung, and acid help.

What did the priest and your peers think of your product non grade wise?

The major criticism was the lack of secondary sources, but as I said, there aren’t many at all, especially on the comparison of Mark and Philo. There are a few chapters and papers that address Paul and Philo. But apart from that, I think I expected a stronger background in Platonism out of the Professors than they actually had, so they didn’t really have the proper context to make a lot of the associations that were attempted in the paper. It would have had to have been a 400 page book to give enough background (on Philo’s thought and that of Plato) to allow the average (but someone with an above average understanding of Platonism) scholarly reader to grasp what I was aiming toward (the professor that gave me an A was the one that was focused on philosophy of that time period). My peers didn’t begin to try to understand. It was priest school after all. No offense, they were nice.

thanks for sharing your story with me user.

>Retards used the word wrong so often they had to put it in the dictionary

I hate this timeline sometimes. Fyi dab the dance move is in the dictionary now too

>Oscar Wilde Complete Short Fiction.
I'm reading this and i'm finding a lot of it pretty dull.