Can a vidya be truly literary?

Attached: a god.png (600x600, 323K)

No

No

No and it shouldn't. Obsession with "being literary" is deadly, every medium should be its own thing. Imagine if painters worried about "being literary".

>Imagine if painters worried about "being literary".

Thats literally the origin of post-modern art

Yes.

Attached: 600px-MW-creature-Dagoth_Ur.jpg (600x600, 156K)

No, it should aim to explore ideas using it's unique qualities. Bloodborne being an example.

No but puppets can

Attached: 1518258101808.webm (852x480, 2.79M)

>people are still pretending the souls games are good

>japanshit

Not truly literary, no. But they can manage to be a thing of beauty.

No
It’s not a medium of literature completely, and only partially visual. The true art of video games comes from the experience factor, how instead of you being an observer you are the participant. Thus it’s superior to all other art forms as it can combine it all; the dialogue can be literary, the visuals awe inspiring, the music tantalizing, and the gameplay engaging and smooth. Anyone who knows his stuff can see this instantly. Video games are the pinnacle of art currently.
I want to be a game developer because of this, as only indie devs see the artistic expression available in a game, while companies just see them as a product. Movies can be art or fun, same as books, but until people view video games the same way we’ll keep arguing about DOOM causing school shooters and loot boxes in games.

Attached: 05F477A5-9F6F-4AF0-A716-3605F2610BEF.jpg (320x320, 38K)

planescape torment is about as literary as games get

Absolutely not.

Attached: 1514905001891.jpg (596x492, 55K)

> Japanshit

If I remember correctly, it's a Chinese puppetry show that Cartoon Network bought dirt cheap and redubbed it but it was cancelled after three episodes.

> see unusually dressed dork playing vidya in public
> no harm done to anybody
> "grr this really pumps my pumpernickel schnell schnell"
> get home and make sure to draw a passive-aggressive image of somebody enjoying themselves with the intention of conveying resentment
> "wow I sure showed them haha"

Attached: 1507125658978.jpg (650x376, 31K)

Absolutely yes. But then the question arises why bother with gameplay at all instead of writing a decent book.

Attached: tno.jpg (320x299, 19K)

>everything cuckbride touches turns into 50% nigger wank and 50% elf nigger wank with both groups being secret muslims

it was a really great decision to fire his ass. they need to sue him now to make him stop writing all his fanfiction

Attached: serveimage (6).png (181x238, 75K)

Killer 7 is pretty Veeky Forums.

But most games are not

Sauce

Get chimed n'wah.
I bet you don't even unmake your own 17 dream-sleve projections with copious amounts of sky whales cocaine in order to mantle an average Khajit junkie.

and? still shit.

>play fallout/elder scrolls/dragon age/any rpg
>find book
>can read said book
Yes, games can be literary.

oh shit i forgot about all his furry wank too. i guess its 33-33-33 as a breakdown

Attached: 1495307908878.jpg (1024x1147, 307K)

funny enough khajit are also secret muslims

As much as I love Killer7 and Suda51, I don't know if I'd say it feels Veeky Forums. It feels more like Jean Pierre Melville noir doing coke off of Masaka Yuasa's Tatami Galaxy/Ping Pong's titties

I just hope it shows that video games are for women and children. Grown men should not be playing video games. A man must be humble, he must be sure of himself, he must be strong both psychologically and physically, and should pursue greater, noble hobbies. Board games are fine.

If anything sticks out it is his Dwemer wank?
Kirbride is crazy and writes all kinds of strange characters and races. If you can't deal with that and it hurts your delicate feelings you might as well leave TES franchise behind. You fucking cunt.

>T. couldn't beat first boss

Sorry you have no talent in anything. Who knows, perhaps you might even ring both bells one day :)

Attached: Calm.png (675x344, 150K)

Literary as in having literary qualities, or referencing books and authors? People praise games like Planescape: Torment for having good writing, while Deus Ex or Nier: Automata make references to philosophical works.

You can still strive for success in life and your career while also enjoying some relaxing time with video games.

But hey it's cool, your post reads like a meme and that's all I'm gonna take it as, dude. Very cheeky. Made me reply semi-sincerely, 5/10.

not that guy but I remember when I first played Dark Souls thinking that ringing both bells would end the game and then felt surprised that it kept going

really enjoyed it but i think part of it also comes from dark souls threads on /v/ which were full of advice, tips, rumours, that kind of thing.

Wasted time on childish crap.

I'd say the artistic merit video games hinges around atmosphere: creating an environment the user interacts with which carries a feeling of depth and uniqueness that - even if totally alien - is internally coherent and ends up incredibly immersive through a combination of story, music, and visual appeal (and obviously with gameplay mechanics that aren't wonky).

Most artful games, IMO:

Morrowind
Alpha Centauri
Homeworld
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Legacy of Kain series

The most artful video game is Silent Hill 2.

>he fell for the "it contains multiple media therefore it's better than any of them" meme

The incorporation of multiple artistic media can have a noticeably negative effect on the end product. It can end up worse than a well written novel, or piece of music, because it does too many things without doing any one particularly well. This is the case with story driven games, while those that merely pander to a specific interest (eg historical strategy games) can at least do that well

>souls is difficult meme

cuck doesnt write elder scrolls lore he was fired years ago. he writes fan fiction and posts it on tumbler and reddi. if you cant deal with that and it hurts your delicate feelings maybe you should leave the the elder scrolls franchise behind

Attached: 1510849294041.jpg (800x600, 118K)

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted, son.

But a game that does all of it well becomes a masterpiece that is still praise to this day
Halo combat evolved is my favorite example.
Fallout is also great and indie games have been getting around the lack of a budget with a unique style or aesthetic

The question makes no sense. Can books be truly musical? Can paintings be truly video games? The only way you can make these dumb questions work is if you are using words in a poetic (read: wrong) way.

If you're going to ask that question, at least use a better game as an example

Visual novels would be the only type of game that could get there, and there aren't many of those that have any worth.

Metal Gear Solid 2.

>What a literary critic and a game critic look for in a plot are worlds apart. The literary critic is looking solely for depth of insight into the life of human beings – nothing less, and nothing more. The game critic, on the other hand, is looking for the bare minimum of a kind of atmospheric effect that sets up a scene. Into that scene slides the player, and all the rest is gaming.

culture.vg

Attached: 3af783bb0704ac610f1451477835b8c5.jpg (500x700, 51K)

>he says on Veeky Forums

reminds me of the dark crystal

Damn it. I promised myself that I wouldn’t jerk off today.

Video games are bad for you.

So are hamburgers, but I ain't gonna stop eatin hamburgers

Video games are more literary than books. Moby Dick and Hamlet are nothing compared to Final Fantasy VII.

see

Also all the mythological/biblical paintings could be considered literary and that’s basically every painting until the XIX century

>Also all the mythological/biblical paintings could be considered literary
stupidest thing I've read on this board

all books are by definition part of a genre

> safe
You’re still a massive faggot though

Attached: 546486EA-F266-46CE-A0C2-A79216201896.jpg (476x316, 42K)

>But a game that does all of it well becomes a masterpiece
>Halo

Embarrassing

Three Fourths Home is pretty good

I didn't violate any of those.

Can we add

>relying on others' aribitrary greentext elitism

To the list?

in theory, yes. in practice, no, because it's currently made by culturelets and cynical suits for culturelets and cynical marks, to milk the most cash out of aesthetics-starved pleb wallets as fast as humanly possible

vidya won't be "literary" (i.e. be something beyond mindless escapism/amusement) until somebody can figure out what the next hot paradigm is beyond the current ugly duckling phase where "kill things" is literally or metaphorically the peak of ludology. I don't know what it is or I'd make it and wallow in the accolades and dosh myself

Attached: a good game3.png (800x600, 926K)

You best explain your statement child
The music and atmosphere in halo was amazing, the gameplay and multiplayer was smooth as silk and spawned a multiplayer community that would have landparties and tournaments, and the story is still memorable to this day. It is one Of the most recognized series in video game history.

>The music and atmosphere in halo was amazing
It's good, but certainly not "amazing"
>the gameplay and multiplayer was smooth as silk
No. Just because you played it when you 12 does not make it good.
>spawned a multiplayer community that would have landparties and tournaments
Completely irrelevant to its artistic value. Beer must be high art because it inspired parties and tournaments too.
>the story is still memorable to this day.
lol
>It is one Of the most recognized series in video game history.
So are Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and other horrendous bullshit.

>I didn't violate any of those.
Yes, you did, and you know it. Also get the fuck back, my man, to reddit. We spot you right away. There's no point in denying. Just get the fuck out of here.

Attached: 1499955686717.jpg (600x632, 35K)

>can Vidya be Veeky Forums
Yes, and it can be kino. There's a degree of atmosphere building that the interactivity of a video game provides that isn't seen in other mediums of expression

Attached: Ave+as+you+may+have+noticed+legion+interactions+_03238f1d1439ff049260be42eab8f2cc.jpg (429x609, 53K)

Probably the dumbest thing I've read on here this month

Not that guy, and I don't agree with everything he says, but it sounds like you're undermining the first Halo game significantly. It exploded in fame for a reason, and not because of marketing. It had flaws, but did a lot of things right, including:

>diverse environments (the first 6 levels at least) from spaceship corridors to outdoors with vehicles
>great vehicle physics
>responsive, dynamic, and vocal AI which brought life to the game world
>multi-faction AI warfare (always fun to exploit)
>could take on any situation with any weapon if creative and dedicated enough
>enemies dropping their weapons
>story was minimal, not too invasive, but enough to set a really solid atmospheric tone
>beautiful soundtrack

It was a fantastic game on release. The story is also perfect for games, because of how simple it is. It's like a pulp scifi novel, which Veeky Forums would refer to as "trashy", which is fine in the literary context, but for games it is perfect.

>We
How are your other autistic personalities holding up, senpai?

Attached: 1504627355784.jpg (400x400, 16K)