What am I in for?

What am I in for?

Attached: A33ECEF5-1AEA-47E0-991A-83A60BF0EF66.jpg (219x300, 25K)

Very long internal monologues, clunky prose, and very neato ideas that will probably fall flat if you've read a lot of contemporary fantasy or fantasy masquerading as sci-fi which is what this book does.

He's second only to Tolkien on the influence he exerted on lowbrow nerd paperbacks so for people well immersed in that world it often falls flat as a work. I really like the fourth book as a treatment of mortality, identity, master/slave dialectic and the relationship between ecology, culture and spirituality.

Dune is fundamentally a series about ecology and how human systems interact with it. Ignore all of the giant robot battle cash in books that KJA wrote with notes furnished to him by Herbert's dumbass son.

gay

I’m basically a clean slate for fantasy/sci-fi

I want this for my next fleshlight

Big titties and femdom.

Read the Book of the New Sun it's better.

Good book

I went to the book store today to find it (I like to hold the book) and they didn’t have it so I have to order it on Amazon. Settled for Dune instead in the meantime

the finest science fiction novel published by Chilton

>fundamentally a series about ecology

I always found it to be more about self fulfilling prophecies and destiny. For example, in the first book was Paul really destined to be the Muad'dib? Or was he just taking advantage of the Bene Gesserit safety nets? The fact that he develops psychic mutations is not relevant, that was a result of circumstance.

>the dryest book you've ever read. Pun only incidentally intended. The characters had no spice. That pun is only also incidentally intended.

"ISLAM IN SPACE"

Did not mean to greentext

Nonstop circle jerking over Paul. I'm in Book two now and I can't stand it. Yes I get it he's going to be great now please stop switching pov just to jerk him off

Theres more to it than that, but you're not wrong

A good read. If you enjoy it, read messiah too.

have read all of them, it made me kek still.

i got pissed off in chapterhouse, did franks son finish it? had so many plot holes. or he was just old.

If you enjoy it, maybe also check out Galactic Milieu Series by Julian May

Herbert created an interesting world/setting/universe but overall the prose is trash. But it’s still overall a good read. The sequel is at least in the same neighborhood of quality, but Children is literal dogshit and should only be read if you want to get to God Emperor. I’m only halfway through it but desu it seems much more rich and alive than the first three books and I’m enjoying it quite a bit

Unironically this

Ive seen that sentiment a lot recently. I keep putting off the 3rd one, though I liked Messiah almost as much as Dune, so maybe I won't think its so bad

dune/messiah should of been one book

Herbert was going through a tough time when he wrote books 5 and 6: his wife’s cancer returned and eventually killed her; the Dune movie flopped and was the source of mockery; he was fighting his own battle with cancer, which although it didn’t kill him did cause a great deal of pain and depression. There’s also hints that he struggled with his Christian faith and started looking for answers elsewhere. Just not a great mindset all-around for continuing his works. This is also likely why the notes he left his son were so scatter-brained

>THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE >THE SPICE

lol. "very neato ideas." sigh. you're a cunt. I mean, I can tell. although you're right about his dumbass son.

Herbert's prose is purposefully written how it is. Havn't figured out why yet? But you sound so smart. kek

not that asshole but the book is about everything... .it's about. they're multi-layered and good for re-reading

>Herbert's prose is purposefully written how it is.

he used to be a journalist, back when you had to know how to write to get paid for it.

prose isn't trash man. it's written that way on purpose because language was obviously spoken way before it was written. Herbert has said this himself.

exactly. it's not meant to be studied like a pretentious cuck. you're meant to just it and not be a fucking faggot arrogant piece of shit.

Hi Brian

wow how long did it take to write this full book summary?

it's always the same bitching about Herbert's Dune series by the same types of pretentious assholes.

UHHHDDUHHHHUURRR HIS PROSE ISN'T LYKE, LIT ER ARRYYY HURRRRR. children of dune sucks dddduuuurrrrr. i don't get that his work is multilayered for re-reading purposes and every single element put into his work is conscious and on purpose.

lol. his son has no talent. nt tho.

Makes sense, poor bloke. Cheers

>every single element put into his work is conscious and on purpose
so wait... ur telling me that.. he like... wrote words in the book... on purpose????
holy SHIT!
no wonder it's considered "science fiction's great masterpiece"!!!!

Attached: what the fugg.jpg (4096x2730, 1.76M)

So this is the power of literary analysis.... woah

i'm tired and not in the mood to masturbate all over myself by taking the time to express myself perfectly and magically. suck my dick.

lol. i mean:
his prose style is written that way because language was obviously spoken way before it was written.
he built the story to have multiple detailed layers to give them re-read value.
there are also a lot of other techniques and skills that i'm not going to spend time writing out for you. you'll figure it out or you'll be a dumb cunt forever. this message is the extent that i give a shit.

Boredom

really just wait for the Denis Villeneuve movies, they're definitely going to be much better anyway

Attached: Denis_Villeneuve_Cannes_2015.jpg (220x310, 16K)

Where's the betray meme

Fuck Yueh

It's alright but not good enough to bother checking out any of the sequels. Really cool world though.

OP here.
Just read chapter 1
Literally what the fuck is this? It’s gibberish

Brainlets need not apply

There's a lot of space politics and stuff going on that you aren't totally informed about so don't worry about not understanding what's going on.

idk just focus on the characters and stuff and wait until they find the DUNE

best to just stop now before convincing yourself it's good like the rest of the Dunespeuds

You're an idiot for not thinking the depth into which Tolkien. That dude was a professor and a linguist and I'm sure you've neither read the appendix in the third book or read the compilations of histories put together by his son.

Attached: 1517607994312.jpg (480x363, 14K)

You know what a i meant. Tolkien went deep into creating his world and myth.

I have been slowly reading Dune for like a year and a half lol but I'm speeding through book 3 just to finally finish it. Because it's taken me such a long-ass time to read I do feel attached to the characters.

i felt the same way, but it won me over in the end

so what lasting effect did it have on sci-fi besides spice, big worms, and space feudalism?

Without it you wouldn't have that terrible franchise known as warhammer 40K

it obviously made some other heavy influences on star wars at least. the setting of an inhospitable desert planet where moisture itself is a resource, melee combat still being used in the distant future of space, the themes of family/ancestry and destiny/prophecy, the bene gesserit as a female-only prototype of the jedi, the twist that the bad guy is related to the protagonist. star wars itself became a juggernaut of pop culture and a lot of those things are now considered to be part of its signature rather than george lucas' apings of the lesser known dune. even in terms of the more overarching style, star wars echoes dune in that neither one is even close to true hard sci-fi, they are soft sci-fi or space operas, with elements of fantasy and epics mixed in

Something similar to what Shakespeare did to literature.

I gave up after 4 chapters. Literally a book of nonsense. I’m reading Brothers Karamazov instead now

real shit? please and thank you!
I read the first book in 7th grade and liked it, maybe I should pick it up again

>it's written that way on purpose because language was obviously spoken way before it was written
Wut? How does that explain Dune's prose? I don't think it reads like anyone speaks.

I started reading books because I heard he will direct Dune. I had in plans to read it earlier but those news encouraged me to start. BR2049 is amazing and I want to see his vision of Arrakis.

Same here, although I had actually bought the book last spring already and merely put it on hiatus. Hearing the news made me pick it up again

The appendix in the third book is unironically one of the most fascinating things you will ever read.

Same with the appendix for Dune, actually.

He said it'll likely be a two part film, lads. I'm excited

Based Denis

sand and big worms

Unintelligible nonsense

Attached: i-seriously-hope-you-guys-follow-the-codex-astartes.jpg (890x890, 327K)

tha bast baak avar

Children is kind of a slog with good ideas

use the appendices

The most honest answer yet

yes, use the appendices! I'm currently reading it and I had a hard time keeping track of everyone and every term, so I used a notebook to write down concepts and notes. Currently a couple chapters in and I don't need to write any more notes (for now)

Attached: 1514687497082.jpg (1144x2560, 1022K)

A phenomenal first half, and a second half that goes straight to shit.
It's very much worth reading though.

I've started listening to the DUne Messiah auiobook. Is that a mistake? Obviously I don't have the Appendix for the definitions, but are there many new terms I need to know (that weren't in Dune)?
If there is, could someone please post the Dune Messiah appendix.