Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts—the book of their deeds, the book of their words...

>Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts—the book of their deeds, the book of their words, and the book of their art. Not one of these books can be understood unless we read the two others; but of the three, the only quite trustworthy one is the last. - John Ruskin

>That moment when you realize the most popular literature of current Western Civilization is young adult fiction and that's what future epochs will be judging us on

Attached: 46fd2532d909221084c06dfe82a4712f.png (420x420, 184K)

Are you helping by writing decent fanfic OP?

Why would I write fan fiction?

Future generations will study our reality tv shows, some Veeky Forums equivalent in 4018 is going to be talking about the hidden depth of Britain’s got Talent

>yfw this is propaganda from collectivists and authoritarians trying to lay claim to the deeds, words and art of geniuses and dissidents
>muh Italian culture
>which is a culture of genius that wasn’t shared by most of the nobility
>muh german spirituality
>which most priests and philosophers took no part in
what fucking nonsense

I don't think the quote needs to be looked at in such a cynical perspective Overall, art describes much of how a civilization perceives itself, at least in previous epochs, and it certainly is not just the geniuses' and dissident's art that historians look at for trying to understand a past civilization.

John Ruskin saw a work so deprived of beauty he had a mental breakdown; it gives me a thought, think what Ruskin would feel walking the galleries, reading the books and studying our world; especially contemporary England.

If that is true it certainly isn't much of a stretch to think that he would just kill himself.

Hopefully the best art of this epoch will be what people look back upon but I imagine a talking point for future historians will be just how much of it was shallow, obnoxious, useless garbage.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, Ruskin DID suffered from migraines (some say epilepsy) and [pic related] set him off, it may have advanced his mental issues he would have in later life.

Attached: 451px-Whistler-Nocturne_in_black_and_gold.jpg (451x599, 72K)

>Only a faggot frogposts in 2018 --Digger Nick

MUH WHITE CIVVYLIZASHUN!!!!!!
Fuck right off
But that's a beautiful painting.
Every day, I somehow respect that turd less. An absolute damn hypocrite. Anti-elitist yet so elitist. Let us celebrate the gothic! But oh! the Gothic must Conform to

my AESTHETICS!*

You seem really upset user.

>MUH WHITE CIVVYLIZASHUN!!!!!!
White civilization is as far above other civilizations as they are above chimpanzees

>>That moment when you realize the most popular literature of current Western Civilization is young adult fiction and that's what future epochs will be judging us on
That's not how it works. The most popular literature was in the past mostly garbage. The few canonical writers that morons on Veeky Forums know of are the cream of the crop of all times. Nobody will remember Twilight and that sort of shit.
Also, you seem to give a lot of weight to the statements of this memelord. You know, you aren't speaking divine truth simply because you lived before the 20th century.

MUH WHITE CIVVYLIZASHUN MUHFUGGA

>other civilization
lmao look at our pottery and horse-carriages

>white civilizaiton
invents steam engine, invents combustion engine, invents flying, flies to moon, invents nukes, invents computers, invents internet, invents medicine,
It would just be cruel to continue

Good autism mate. Now kill yourself.

John Ruskin was a memelord in a way, he was a prophet.

>That's not how it works...
user is right; you'll forget the dull streets, but you will remember the Cathedral.

Even though knowing this a few works do creep on the world; they tend to be "ahead of their time" and join the march of it's contemporaries sons, like the cool Uncles of art.

>current Western Civilization

Attached: 1491670001302.jpg (251x242, 14K)

aren't you going to make some feeble argument about how technology is handed down by the Gods and white people were just unfairly gifted their unbelievably superior civiliztaion

Unbelievably low quality bait. Step off my nigga

I'm anti-technology.

Imagine being THIS deterritorialized
I bet you're an ancap or something equally moronic.

John Ruskin had a breakdown from seeing pubic hair irl. He would be as competent to judge say Lucian Freud as a Vivaldi bootlicker is competent to judge Friedrich Cerha.

Many thanks, /leftypol/, for these wonderful posts. Truly. I feel the spectre of communism taking hold of me. A desire to upvote dank memes on Reddit. The smell of a new hardback of The Prisoner of Azkaban and of chai latte filling my nosethrills. I embrace you now as comrades, yea, brothers in arms; freedom fighters, nay, archwarriors clad in elbow-patched jackets wielding rufous dildoes against the knavish bourgeoisie. The he-bitch whose name is Patriachy shall writhe in its hellish ecstasies for we are the judgement, aye. Fuck Drumpf and fuck white people I say unto ye.

Attached: 5E5AECAB-E71A-4474-8476-5E23771E17AA.gif (500x365, 1.29M)

Unironically good post

Give it 100 years and chinks will have surpassed most of this.

*tips ledora*

>buttmad imperialist upset his gaylord 'culture' is being attacked after destroying many more, much older cultures
>he thinks there is one 'european culture'

XD