I'll never finish this book

i'll never finish this book

Attached: 8117HB7WbvL.jpg (1400x2092, 303K)

Why not? It's entertaining and insightful

It bored the fuck out of me and I finished it for the pseud cred

How do I get through this?

Attached: UlyssesCover.jpg (374x478, 20K)

I finished it in 2 weeks while on vacations

>caring about the entertainment value
You were pseud to begin with

This. Sincere intellectuals such as myself read for boredom value and to signal my intelligence to the general public. If I catch myself enjoying a novel my estimation of its merits is instantly lowered

Patrician.

>bk
>boring
god damn what a curse it must be to be an american

Just wait for the threesome scene, straight fire from Fyodor.

then stop reading it and read something else. have you read anything else by dostoyevsky?
you do not

Is it more difficult than Crime and Punishment?

It's more complex but easier to read.

it's more complex and more difficult to read imo

It's equally complex, but just harder to read

my grandmother whose favorite author is Sidney sheldon has finished and loved it

Yeah. It's longer, much more stuff going on, more characters and plotlines, etc.

Then again, I don't think neither are particularly difficult.

>I don’t think neither

Splendid double negative, bucko

It's about the same honestly (not very hard)

Thanks for the very clear consensus bros
I just finished C&P and Monday and have a thirst for more. I will give this a shot because if it’s even half as powerful as C&P it will be worth reading

Oh man it's way better. All the psychology and humanity in C&P times ten.

Attached: 1180946.jpg (640x480, 46K)

Even I who can't read more than 12 books a year could read it, give it a shot. It gets kinda slow during Dmitry's interview, but keep on going because it's really worth it.

If you're a really interested in his works, you should consider reading some other Dosto before jumping into BK. Devils, Idiot, some short stories, Gambler, Double are all very good.
This way, you'd have a clear feeling of progression culminating in the magnum opus. Cheers.

Even more of a curse having to live in a world dominated by them

I thought that when I read it, and even hated it. But honestly looking back on it, it is v rewarding and will pay dividends if you were to finish it

You underestimate how superficial American influence really is, although it is very annoying.

Give up, i left it 800 pages in. I had already seen enough of the fucking subjective morals in conflict with divine and collective morals sermon. Nonetheless i found it to be a good portrait of the russian society of the epoch. Fuck it and fuck Dostoyevsky.

A pleb that hasn’t realized that he’s a pleb. Stay plebian friendo!

>calling it a sermon

Attached: geralt.gif (602x358, 415K)

>mfw i finished it

feels good bro, BK leveled me up to a lvl 10 psued.

BK is easier to read than the Idiot imo. I read BK first than idiot second.

That's a bad reaction image and you should feel bad

can i read it? if i never read a single book my entire life and english is not my first language.

>if i never read a single book my entire life
How did you get here? I mean okay you clicked Veeky Forums anyone can do that, but how did you gravitate to this thread and choose this book as a hypothetical launch-point? Seems weird desu. I haven't even read Dosto but at least reflecting on my entrance into lit, something big and heady like this (as I discern it) is probably going to be a roadblock to you at first. At least for me my roadblock was Moby-Dick which at least had the benefit of being an actual English (hence perceived relatability on an underlying cultural wavelength) novel. I've read some people complain about having trouble keeping up with all the characters because Russian names, and speaking from reading Lenin/Stalin biographies I can kind of see where they're coming from. Maybe you should pick something lighter my guy. I mean you probably could read it through sheer force of will but it probably won't be fun. After Moby-Dick retired me for a couple years I had to learn how to enjoy reading before I came back to it and found it enjoyable (and much easier). "Learning to read" is not a meme. You have to train yourself into reading to, at first just be comfortable reading so you can read without fucking up the pacing by becoming "bored" after 20 minutes and putting the book down again thus taking let's say 7-8 months to read a single book because you never acclimated to reading well enough to digest something so large at a pace quickly enough to have the narrative remain cogent and connected in your recent memory, and also to get used to the act of reading so that you can pick up anything and read it regardless of if it seems like it will be "for you" or "up your alley". As a beginner to lit many people make the mistake of trying to carve out this tiny niche of what they might potentially like on the basis of topic or setting or genre and end up isolating themselves from good books because "that's not what I'm interested in". At least if you are used to the act of reading you can pick up any strange thing and read it without being immediately critical (ugh this doesn't read exactly like the 5 books I actually like) of it.

Anyways I don't know if any of this helps you so I'll just stop now.

Yes. A lot of it will get over your head but don't worry, if you keep reading you will reread it one day.

this book just come to my head because i see it recommended a lot here.
ive actually read a few book during my time studying english like cry freedom and a village by the sea, etc they are pretty short book. i have tried longer books but never finished it. it's probably because i never pick it up and continue after the first few readings.
anyways, thanks for writing this up, user

Gave up 300-400 pages in three times. It’s good but god it’s boring and full of unnecessary shit. And everyone acts like such a caricature.

More hard and tedious, requires looking up some Bible references. Possibly his harderst, although all of his books are pretty hard I think.

It bummed me out reading his introduction--that this was only meant to set the stage for a sequel. It really makes me sad, because I'm already in love with the family (I just finished Ivan's Grand Inquisitor) and friends.

Without spoilers, does any hint or indication of the second installation's contents exist? Maybe notes or drafts or something? Or does he delve into it at all? It just seems like a shame to me.

I partly agree, every chapter with a woman in it bored me to tears. Everything else was great though.

I implore you to kill yourself.

>requires looking up some Bible references
pleb

I felt bad taking a year to read it and not fully understanding all of it but it's good it could be worse

I couldn't either. Dad did and said there are good bits.

Attached: md12530046219.jpg (300x467, 34K)