Ernest Cline is a fucking hack

Ernest Cline is a fucking hack

Attached: 06DD42B0-8CFE-4F1C-A558-95B0ED76FED8.jpg (289x174, 14K)

I just can't imagine that a grown man wrote this

>Picture for ants
I enjoyed Ready Player One as poolside reading while I was on vacation, something that demanded little - an unhealthy snack/guilty pleasure. The problem is, the moment I started giving it any degree of reflection, it retroactively seemed weaker and weaker, crumbling to badness even in my memories.

Worst Moment Nominations:
>Daito and Shoto calling Parzival "honorable," because that's how people from Japan talk.
>Art3mis' avatar's good looks referred to as "the superior product, for consumption by the superior man" (I bet the author thinks he's feminist too)
>The fact that Cline's decision to make the "Lacero" fanfiction canon means that his alleged heroes are retroactively the villains of their own story.
>The wank passage
>The god isn't real passage
>The moment when you realize that there's no way Parzival will be able to keep the Oasis in line when he has no real qualifications outside a pathetically encyclopedic knowledge of 80s/90s trivia.

he wrote this

there is no depth too low for him to sink to.

Attached: modern poetry.png (544x2000, 111K)

>Cline sold the rights to publish the novel in June 2010, in a bidding war to the Crown Publishing Group (a division of Random House).[1]
Not only did an grown man write this, but several grown men with real jobs at publishing companies read it and decided that it was worth paying a lot of money to unleash it upon the public.

Not only did several grown men with real jobs start a 'bidding war' over this cultural detritus, they were vindicated in this behavior by the work being commercially successful with its main consumers being young men.

>but several grown men with real jobs at publishing companies read it and decided that it was worth paying a lot of money to unleash it upon the public.
Sounds like they were pretty good at their jobs. It's almost like you don't understand what a publishing house is.

>implying that they didn't have a moral duty not to publish it in the same way that a factory has a moral duty not to dump waste chemicals in the local water supply

Holy fuck

this was on my to-read list, but fuck me.
you really need to reevaluate your life when your serious book reads EXACTLY like an unfunny parody commentary in a bad gamer web comic.

Attached: horror.png (500x281, 184K)

I think the point is that in a non-degenerate society they would have laughed this manuscript out of the office and Ernest Cline would be working in some dead end retail job instead of making tons of money cannibalizing pop culture from 20 years ago.

Even just 40-50 years ago, an equivalent work would have never been published, or if it did get published, it would have been a commercial failure. The problem is not Ernest Cline, there will always be stupid and talentless writers, the problem is that our educational system has decayed so badly that there is a market for writers of his caliber.

Before someone gets into the blahblahblah every old fogey has always said the same thing, they were always right. We as a race have been getting progressively dumber since the bronze age. The average human has a significantly smaller brain than they did 4-5,000 years ago, some estimates put the average volume of gray matter lost since then at about the size of a tennis ball. We are rapidly approaching a time when machines will have more functional intelligence than humans and with any luck, as an act of mercy, they will exterminate us before we degenerate further.

how the fuck do you even reach this level of mental retardation?

just walk into a bar and ask a fucking girl for sex, jesus christ how pathetic.

> a bidding war over this shit

goddammit

okay pol memes aside this guy is literally the definition of a bugman. I mean he literally fucking got Will Wheaton to do the audiobooks of both RPO and Armada

btw his second book, Armada, is literally the same fucking style of book
>a kid who is really good at video games learns the video game is a simulator for drone pilots and he's invited to become a drone pilot to fight alien invaders just like in the game
>epic pop culture references everywhere

forgot my picture, here he is helping GRRM not finish his series.

Attached: ernest the eternal bugman cline.jpg (275x183, 10K)

Nice resolutions retard.

Did you just find out about this book? I thought you niggers were overreacting but it is genuinely bad. Might as well read a Wikipedia summary of 80s pop culture
>okay pol memes aside
>doesn't put them aside
Dumb /pol/poster.

Attached: readyplayerone2.png (604x1724, 122K)

The reference shit seems awful and I haven't read the book and don't plan on seeing the movie but for me the most unbelievable part of it is that people are obsessed with 80s culture in 2050 or whenever this takes place.70 god damn years. Can you imagine if people today were making le epic references to the 40s right now?
>I climbed into my Studebaker, specially modified to talk like Jimmy Cagney. Then I picked up Benny Goodman and we drove to go see 42nd Street's original cast beat up the avatar of polio.

Here's the fucking thing about this goddamned passage: I have never watched this animu, so I have absolutely zero mental image of what this robot looks like. It's like the opposite of prose, it's taking away descriptive elements of writing. People often boil shit like Ulysses down to "muh references", but if you haven't read the obscure shit Joyce is referencing, the prose is still beautiful. If you haven't watched what Cline is referencing, you might as well not be reading.

It's even worse than that. See, I DID watch anime. I was a real fuckin' weeabo. I thought otaking was a goddamn compliment. I don't even know what the fuck he's talking about. He's so obsessed with making witty references and cashing in nerd chips that he's actually alienating people who he's trying to impress.