What does Veeky Forums think of Lord of the Rings? Also, should I bother reading it if I've already seen the movies?

What does Veeky Forums think of Lord of the Rings? Also, should I bother reading it if I've already seen the movies?

Attached: The_One_Ring_1510632814498.jpg (1280x853, 129K)

Very much a whitepill book. Not everyone needs to read it, but if you like adventure and positivity it is a good read, like a refreshing breeze.

>Also, should I bother reading it if I've already seen the movies?
Fuck you, read the books. Forget everything you can about the films. I know you can't, but try. They are top shelf fantasy and deserve your full attention and imagination.

full disclosure I was a forever alone AD&D nerd in high school, with no game to join because of my shitty beaner town. The Hobbit and LOTR books were a release into another world. Be sure to read The Silmarillion afterwards as well.

The movies do a really shitty job of the lore.

Always wondered if there was some deeper symbolism to the rings. I know the name is "Ring of Power," but I like to think there's more to it.

I'm right at the end of return of the king after reading all the books straight through from the hobbit. Never saw the movies, knew nothing of the lore or world. It's been a fucking magical experience

>Fuck you, read the books.

Well it isn't obvious. I read all the ASOIAF books and then watched Game of Thrones, and I would tell people to skip the books and just watch the show since I think the show is better than the books. But, if you say that LOTR is worth reading, then I will make it my next mission.

>he just compared George RR Martin to Tolkien
brother. get your life in order.

asoiaf is shit. I've read the first four books and can't get my dick hard enough to read the fifth, and i'm sure as shit not paying to watch the series. Tolkien is good. trust.

I don't disagree that the books are shit but the show is amazing, I would recommend watching it. Top notch stuff

i'll give it a shot then

No shit. If you liked LoTR I would try the Simarrilion... But I would actually recommend the audiobook once. The names can be quite complex, and it makes it a bit easier.

LOTR and the Silmarillion have better lore and history than real life. Read them both if you want, the movies are better though just as GoT is better than the ASoIaF books

LOTR is just a pseudo-bible for atheistic neckbeards only slightly more intelligent than the average Scientologist.

Skip it.

Poor bait, Professor Tolkien's works are all infused with a deep catholic spirituality and anyone who can't tell that should read his Bible a little more

>catholic spirituality
>deep

LOTR is basically an analogy for WW1 so do with that what you will

go away brainlet

>genre

i completely disagree.
maybe it's just me, but i would have had a much harder time wrapping my head around the names and places in the Silmarillion if I had just listened to the audiobook.
reading the physical book, and seeing the words in front of me is far superior.

Liking LotR is like liking dogs, everyone likes it but you shouldnt feel special about liking it.

Overrated trash, used by plebs to feign good taste

>the show is amazing

Christ what a fucking pleb.

Attached: 1453973224544.jpg (337x275, 33K)

he says, as he posts a Curb reaction image

>stuck on the forth book

true sign of a pleb

Your point being?

never visit /tv/

Attached: okay pleb.gif (371x270, 673K)

my point is that Curb sucks

My condolences, user.

Curb sucks

Name a better show you fucking fag

The Sopranos
The Wire
Rome
Deadwood
True Detective (season 1)

The list goes on. Even fucking Breaking Bad is better.

Just read it

I tried reading from the beginning of Fellowship but the plot and the prose moved too slowly for me

I think I will try again but just start from the beginning of Part 2 since I know what happens through the whole series

I think he means pronunciation.

Read it
First two books are quite slow but third is where it all pays off

Attached: 1516887067497.png (625x773, 143K)

>starting in the middle because you were too impatient to read the beginning

what the fuck is wrong with you

The movies do a reasonable job of adaptation, but the book is still very different. You should dive into it if you're curious.

you suck. Curb rules. JB Smoove and Larry are hilarious. Cheryl Hines is a qt. And LA culture deserves to be mocked.

>Rome
>good
I tried to get into it. Couldn't. It's just sex and violence. The rest of your list is good.