Start reading the Egyptians

Start reading the Egyptians.

Attached: IMG_20180314_215611_577.jpg (178x151, 8K)

i was listening to that "rise and fall of ancient egypt" audiobook that's in the current audible sale for 7 bucks, and i had no idea there was so much egyptian literature that survived, i mean we all know the greatest hits, but apparently there's a lot of shit, the only thing is reading it isn't that great of an investment, since it was lost from before the greeks so it really had no influence on culture, still interesting tho just due to the extreme antiquity of it. does anyone know if there are books with translations of this walls of text on monuments and tombs and shit, i don't need to read only myths and plays and shit, let me read some pharoanic bragging too

Whats the essentials?

gimme a reading list famalamalamalam OP senpai desu

BEGONE, THOTH!

Attached: 6B051525-F415-4177-88E3-CED60BAD2006.png (318x289, 187K)

Im interested as well

I'd rather just listen to Nile while I play Assassin's Kangz Origins

my man
still wiating on a reading list from OP tho desu

Attached: annihilationofthewicked.jpg (1440x1080, 104K)

That was the exact album I was thinking of too. That gradually rising rhythmic outro from 7:00- and on on User-Maat-Re is my shit.

lol no fuck ogg piramid niggrs

The Pyramid Texts are what you want for wall inscriptions. They're possibly the oldest Egyptian writings that survive. The James P Allen translation is probably the best. Another good set of translations is Penguin's Writings From Ancient Egypt, it's a selection from across Ancient Egyptian history.

Maxims of Ptah-hotep ain't bad. It's a quick read and I for one think it's interesting to compare wisdom literature from all ages.

Confucius, Ahikar, the Book of Proverbs. It's all on the same spectrum, about how to advise a young man to be noble. People have been trying to give young men advice for millennia. Personally I think these guys are more interesting than Jordan Peterson, but they basically all have the same project.

What's the best translation of the book of the dead?

the eye of ra opens his mouth and comes forth from the serpent, bless the mouth of osiris and spews fire
the serpent struggles with the hippo
the hippo opens his mouth
Swoop! Goes the hawk!
Horus opens his mouth to the sun

amun-ra blessed dubs

This one. Don't get the Wallace Budge translation.

Attached: 61mjfIGVroL.jpg (340x500, 64K)

But how does one enunciate with the Egyptians?

These antique ideas have SO much depth and wisdom and complexity and understanding that it blows my mind every time I try tackling them.

This is why I make bullshit pre-flood civilization threads on Veeky Forums. It is unfathomable to me that works like the illiad or the mahbarata or Gilgamesh were made by... iron age farmers.

But if they were then there is hope for humanity left.

Attached: tower_of_babel_small.jpg (375x264, 32K)

Yeah I was reading all about this dude called yakub and how he invented Europe or something, really cool stuff.

A FUCKING THOTH THREAD

ay ayy yall whities wuz devils n shieeet niggeh, go back to cacasus you meandertalls shieet niggi

Idk if ur trolling but that's Nation Of Islam's mythos. Nothing to do with Egypt.

Lol did Tyrone fuck your girl or something?

Greeks were better.

Attached: spilled_water.png (347x440, 220K)

B....b...but Plato was initiated in Egypt!

Is egypt yhe most overrated ancient civilization out there
>contributed no actual knowledge to society as whole
>but they built huge triangles so everyone loves them

>no actual knowledge to society as a whole
>he doesn't study alchemy

Lol ok buckoo

>don't stop reading the Egyptians

Attached: 922[1].jpg (960x720, 45K)

People like mysterious things. Egypt is appealing because it didn't influence or contribute as much to the Western tradition but was lost to time. Only to be uncovered as this strange, alien culture of great material magnificence. Pyramids, Sphynxs, Mummies, hidden tombs, hoards of gold, all these capture the imagination

That's true but when you find evidence of written ideas from stuff excavated in Egypt and it is dated prior to when the Greeks started talking about these ideas, And there was significant travel between the 2, It's kind of hard not to feel like that civilization may have had some sort of cultural impact on the western world

A FUCKING THOTH THREAD

The pyramids contain mathematical constants that were "discovered" thousands of years later. The Great Pyramid is built using a golden triangle, whose base is the "radius" of the square and hypotenuse the actual slope of the pyramid. Pi, B, phi, e, speed of light, it's all there.

Walk like an Egyptian!

> mathematical constant
> B
what did he mean by this

>not learning hieroglyphs to absorb the true essence of the works
Pleb.

hell yes nice
i love the whole record and hold it in high esteem like a religious experience but i guess my favorite track is the title track, the one i jam hardest on

Start with the Neanderthals.

Zahi Hawass

dude! is that a peacock monkey man?! wicked!

Whatever you heard about your "golden triangle" theory you clearly misunderstood because you wrote nonsense.
Pi, e, and the speed of fucking light are not anywhere in the pyramids, and "B" and "phi" are not constants.

pro tip. There is no such thing as death

Obligatory "START WID KANGZ" response

Attached: 1479964716155.jpg (318x332, 17K)

he is covering up the ancient gnosis of Egypt with his opportunistic stewardship of egyptology, you should never give money to him

Well, we know Egyptians had some impact obviously. If not philosophically then in terms of architecture. Greeks were initially influenced by Egyptian architecture until they developed into a more distinctive Greek style that we know today

Most overrated ancient civilization, sure.
>Babylonians were much more clever with their math
>Indus valley had more intellectual depth

EXTRA THOTH

Check out the Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor.

>THOTH
underrated post.

>it is unfathomable to me that works like War and Peace were made by... feudal serfs

>it had no influence on culture
Wait, wouldn’t that make it way more interesting in an alien kind of way?