Is there any bigger pleb filter than Moby Dick?

Is there any bigger pleb filter than Moby Dick?

Attached: goodreadsMD.png (689x631, 105K)

To be fair nobody gives a shit about how to fucking go whaleing. If he was really smart he could have incorporated the facts in the middle of dialogue

t. pleb maximus

In Search of Lost Time

Try Harry Potter buddy.

Attached: 1516474186540.jpg (400x462, 48K)

spotted the harpoonlet

>They're just facts about whaling
They represent man's hopeless but determined search for truth, you pleb.

honestly not really
maybe the Bible

Look I get that we need to see what they do but it doesn’t require a fucking analysis essay in the middle of the book. I’ll be a pleb if I don’t have to read stupid bullshit like that again. It kill the flow of the story
Cool beans, but I couldn’t care less if you make your message buried deep in exposition

I only read Moby Dick a few years ago and I thought it was the most metal book I ever read.

I was wading through some of the negative online reaction to Paul Thomas Anderson's last movie (which was actually great), and i'm starting to wonder what the point of making great art is if it appeals to so few people? Plebs will hate it because they're plebs, ideologues will hate it because it doesn't adhere to the issues du jour, contrarians will hate it because they confuse being enlightened with being cynical. In 2018 a great piece of art is going to be enjoyed by like 8 people. What's even the fucking point?

>message buried deep in exposition
The message IS the exposition. The message does not come across with a few sprinkled whale facts here and there. It needs to be an exhaustive, detailed look into whaling to correspond with the same level of energy that people put into the things they're focused on.
>I’ll be a pleb
Glad you've accepted it

I think the point is to be immortal. The movies that those plebs, ideologues and contrarians like will probably be forgotten in a few years. True art will stubbornly last through the ages and be appreciated, likely but unfortunately, long after the artist is dead.

Is that really true, though? I find great obscure art all the time, and mediocrity is still often studied and propagated due to its cultural significance. I don't have faith in our culture's ability to filter out the mediocre anymore; we care too much about the average person's taste, and perceive esoteric and difficult art (which most great art is) as being inherently elitist.

>I get it, I just don't like it
Is there a simpler breed of prole? Do they think they've ever convinced someone that they "got it?"

Moby-Dick was a fun read, what the FUCK is karen’s problem?

Yes, to a large degree. I tried reading it a few years ago, but it was too hard for me. Now giving it another go, on page 490 and loving it, but it’s unlike any book I’ve read in that I read it perhaps a chapter or two a day, then I can’t help but meditate on them. It’s almost like reading the bible day to day

What kind of faggot doesn't love a good 19th century sea story?

Serious question

No, it's extremely accessible.

Jane Austen. While some plebs like her, anyone who dislikes her cannot, by definition, be patrician

i got it, didn't enjoy it, but liked it

The point of life is to struggle against adversity so that you show God you are worthy of being admitted into his direct presence for all eternity.

You do it because you like doing it.

At least, that's what I tell myself.

Czechs btw

t. bookdragon sean

The average person recognizes there is such a thing as good art, and that they don’t understand it. The problem is they aren’t challenging themselves to do the reading and learn the concepts; the’re fine with the shit shoveled in front of them because they don’t have to question it.

>admitting it's brilliant
>saying it sucks
this generation is unironically hopeless

The mediocrity of the common man should not bother you. Recognize your natural superiority and rise above him.

>Americans hated the book for years
Nope

>t. dirt poor whalers

Complete and absolute retard

>I’ll be a pleb if I don’t have to read stupid bullshit like that again. It kill the flow of the story
We're reaching levels of r/eddit that shouldn't even be possible.

I hear 60-to-80-year-olds saying the same shit, stop pretending everything you don't like started the moment you decided to notice it.

yeah moby dick is sludge metal: the book

Attached: R-595526-1272458602.jpeg.jpg (600x536, 118K)

Moby Dick isn't that good though.
For a lot of the book, Melville is way too heavy handed with his allusions to the Bible and philosophy.
But if someone complains that it's too difficult then they're a pleb.

The Catcher in the Rye

>a book about futile pursuit made meaningful by all consuming obsession
>Why does it have to be so obsessive all the time!
In case you were unaware, the green text is supposed to be an equivalent to what you've written, my imagining of what must be going through your head, in some rudimentary process, so that you could even be able to input your text onto the screen via keyboard. Please understand, it's not meant to be an insult, but rather a reprimand for sub-par social discourse that has left all of us worse off for having read it.

Goodreads is a pleb filter

Goodreads is shit, honestly. It's useful for book tracking sure, but almost all the reviews are the following:

Someone with multiple symbols next to their name or a adjective trying to be unique
> (MoonGoddess) Jill
>

Shit like that.

Or it's someone who's espousing the most SJW opinion in the world:

>This book is SOOOOO problematic because they said the word "queer". Here's a gif in my review expressing how angry I am

Not to mention that the Goodreads Blog is also super-SJW'y:

>Top Ten Books from Diverse Authors releasing this fall
>15 YA novels from new Women Authors

Shit like that. They might have a "Sci-fi Recommendation" post that recommends stuff like this:
> Name: Sci-Fi Romp Through Space 2
> Author: Jane Doe
> Read if: You're interested in womanly power, supporting female authors, and bringing down the patriarchy/aliens

It's not subtle, it's blatant, all the time. Almost all of their stuff is like this.

lmfaooo

i just add books to the list and never scroll down

Catcher in the Rye

Mostly because more people have read it and their reaction tells you a lot about their taste in literature

I mean all these social networking sites for media are garbage in terms of ratings/reviews

you use them for other reasons, that being follow people you know who have similar taste, for the recommendations, listing purposes ect

Yeah good point. I really need to do like and just add books and never even glance at that stuff.

>Books women and womanish men will never understand

Attached: 1373337351901.jpg (1200x798, 767K)

>tfw never will be grabbed by the neck while being half-naked on the street

Cetology is the greatest pleb filter of all time

PATROLLED