This is a book in which almost nothing happens. Why is it so interesting?

This is a book in which almost nothing happens. Why is it so interesting?

Attached: 52a9ceeee7809.image.jpg (428x640, 241K)

hmm gee i dunno why dont you read it

You must have zoned out, because tons of things happen in this book.

sorry i got tight last night

You're a steer

Read Flaubert as Hemingway was a disciple of him (and interestingly enough, so were diametrically opposed writers like Joyce and Nabokov).

Some witty lines but basically it’s some drunk cucks and betas orbiting a roastie.

It was a bit like college only more beer and reefer and less wine and Pernod.

Oh and there was less boxing, bullfighting and fly fishing in college and more video games.

sounds like a ball. a great big greasy fat sweaty smelly ball.

boring faggot author. I dunno.

t. woman

Me too, after some hard-boiled eggs for dinner.

It depends on what you mean by happen. On one level, it's just some friends dicking around in Paris and Spain for the whole novel. But when you get down to it, there's so much drama and intrigue and the characters are so real and interesting. If you don't look at it from the viewpoint of a detective novel or juicy soap opera, this is true. Earthshaking events don't happen, but stuff happens in the characters' lives.

arguably the least faggot author

That's some pretty cool surface level analysis you have there.

arguably the most faggot post

It should be called "Memoirs of a Whiny Cuck." Nothing but tailing Brett around like a whipped cur. Hemingway is trash.

that’s not what faggot means in this context user

arguably you are a faggot

I hate this boring book

not even analysis. Hemingway's whole purpose of writing revolves around what it means to be a man and a man's relation to the world. Fuck off.

I enjoyed the interpersonal interactions. It's also a great portrayal of the Lost Generation and its struggles to accept what they went through.
It's also leagues better than A Farewell to Arms.

The main character is a eunuch and a man's man. Immediately interesting. The jew is a boxer who could fuck up anybody and yet he is a cuckold and a pussy. The chick is an old whore. Film has stolen from it multiple times with Breakfast at Tiffanys stealing the chick. The Big Chill stole the man's man eunuch.

>leagues better than A Farewell to Arms
how so?

Brett makes Holly look like a nun

Wasn't his son trans? Aren't there rumors of Hemingway himself suppressing crossdressing tendencies?

There's two layers to The Sun Also Rises. The first is pretty obvious: they hang out in Paris and Spain, see some bull fights, get drunk, and Cohn chases around Brett, much to her and everyone else's displeasure. Every main character except Cohn served in WWI at some capacity.

That's the tip of the iceberg; there's a lot under the surface, though.

As someone else mentioned, Jake was made impotent in the war. Most people miss this. I can't remember how Hemingway explains it and am too lazy to search for it, but it's pretty vague and easy to skip over without realizing. You do know, though, that he wants to be with Brett. And she wants to be with him. Why can't they be together, then? Because Jake is impotent and can't give her children.

Brett's fiancee, Mike, is a drunkard, and probably with good reason. He's jealous of all the men Brett sleeps around with. All he wants is for her to love him, but he lacks to the nuts to confront her about her propensity to cuck him again and again.

It's a miserable little trio that sticks together. Robert Cohn is often excluded. His pathetic desire to fit in is pretty naive; he would be wise to get the hell away from them, but he sees Jake as his only friend and clearly sees Brett through rose-tinted glasses.

Bill's the good homie. He keeps the reader from feeling miserable.

So, that's the real story. Three miserable people wander Europe in search of meaning. The War to End All Wars has rendered them emotionally broken and, in Jake's case, physically scarred. The bull fights are an analogy for this. Brett's the bull. Jake, Mike, and Cohn are steers.

Not coincidentally, Pedro, the charming and young bullfighter they meet, is the only one who knows how to control Brett. And in the end he makes it a priority to skip out and never speak to her again, when he realizes what a disaster she and her posse are.

The last few sentences of the book sum up Hemingway's iceberg writing model.

"'Oh, Jake,' Brett said, 'we could have had such a damned good time together.' Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. The car slowed suddenly, pressing Brett against me. 'Yes,' I said. 'Isn't it pretty to think so?'"

Tip of the iceberg: Isn't it pretty to think we could have had a better time in Spain had things not gone so awry? Under the water: isn't it pretty to think of a world where the war never happened? A world where Jake could live happily with Brett. A world where Mike wasn't traumatized and coping with his pain. A world where Cohn wasn't alienated. A world where the war never happened.

I apologize for the shit formatting. I'm drunk and forgot I needed to not space it out so much.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm probably a pleb. Anyway, the book just came off as unnatural in a very bad way. The characters and writing felt very abrupt and awkward, as opposed to the power and concision that are usually associated with Hemingway's work. I will admit that this was probably a deliberate and understandable choice on Hemingway's part, but holy shit does it suck for most of the book. All of that being said, I still cried at the ending and had my jaw drop at a few moments because of that abruptness, like the execution of that one sergeant after he ran off from the mired truck.

>reddit spacing
>>out

This book is beautiful and honest and heartbreaking

>Because Jake is impotent and can't give her children.
I thought it was less that and more that he just wasn't the same man after the Great War. Obviously there's the physical component (he's now impotent and infertile because of what he went through), but like the male identity of the time, the Great War fundamentally changed him. He's distant, incompatible, irritable, and broken, which makes him unfit for that sort of relationship with anyone. Of course, that doesn't stop his pining for Brett, but I felt that he comes to terms with what I outlined at the end, which is thematically fitting.

He learns by the end though

>le memes

Oh shut the fuck up

Hemingway used to want his women to cut their hair short and dye it the same color as his. I don't know if he has a supression of cross dressing tendencies but he does have a bit of an odd fetish or fixation. He wanted to become one person almost with his women, he wanted the two of them to be so alike as to be one almost. A Farewell to Arms has some dialogue between Catherine and Frederic (i believe that's the MC's name) about "I don't want to be with you, I am you" or something like that. In some ways I find it sort of romantic, a biblical "become one flesh" of sorts.

That's true, the characters are some interesting contradictions.

>Because Jake is impotent and can't give her children
Does she want children, or just dick? It's been a while since I read this book, but I remember she was addicted to cocks.

I think it's mainly that she loves getting fucked

Oh yeah that was a big thing in A Farewell to Arms. Toward the end Catherine wanted to cut her hair and look more like Frederic, for instance. I always viewed it as an example of obsession, but I think Hemingway also viewed physical similarity as a way of fighting off loneliness. You're not really on your own if there's someone who thinks like you and looks like you to boot.

Nice post, thanks. Don't mind the cretin pointing out the spacing or any such nonsense.

I kind of like it although I acknowledge it is odd and I never would've have thought up something like that myself

Yeah it’s something that makes sense but is fairly reprehensible since you are basically absorbing someone else’s identity and being just to enhance your own. Stuff like that’s a two way street.

> He ate the last of the eggs and wiped the plate with the tortilla and ate the tortilla and drank the last of the coffee and wiped his mouth and looked up and thanked her.

Wow, it's the peak of high literature.

Attached: harold-bloom.jpg (1600x1050, 330K)

>Blooms favorite hemmingway

>Hemingway's whole purpose of writing revolves around what it means to be a man and a man's relation to the world
That's so cute, user.

Makes sense, most people do.

The only people who know about reddit spacing have come from reddit, so fuck off back there.

Good point. It could maybe even be said that he sees Brett as someone who could return to him his manhood in a sense, but by chasing her he only hurts himself. It's a cycle.

Oh definitely. A lot of the story is spent talking about what could’ve been or how things used to be as part of an unsuccessful pursuit of the past. Most of the characters simply can’t let go, and it’s killing them.