> Least Favourite Book(s)
I & II Chronicles

Attached: bible.jpg (250x391, 9K)

>Favorite Book
Ecclesiastes
>Least Favorite Books
The entire new testament

ugh why did you post the kjv

Weird. I almost made this exact thread about an hour ago.

When I was a kid it was Genesis or certain stories from Genesis.

As a teen my favorite was Samuel.

In my late teens and early twenties it was Job.

I don't know what it is currently. I haven't read the Bible seriously in a couple of years but will be picking it back up soon.

I know my least favorite book is Ecclesiastes. I thought it was a string of banalities presented as wisdom.

>new testament least favorite
Turbo pleb spotted

t. schlomo

Nah it's just a pretty common pleb opinion. They extol the old testament cuz "muh stories and mythology" which is an easy way to enjoy something. It takes intellect and nuanced perspectives to appreciate the new testament.

Genesis 2 & 3, I don't care if its the pleb opinion.

Attached: adameve.jpg (960x2176, 642K)

Do the Oxford annotated Bibles really offer that much to the reading experience?

There is a used copy near me for $30. It would be partly for literary reasons and party because I want to be a better Catholic

Attached: 51cHMv+NkDL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (347x499, 36K)

>Favourite
Sirach
>Least
Revelation

Favorite: I and II Samuel
Least Favorite: I and II Chronicles

Why the fuck is Chronicles even in the Bible? It's almost the same content as Samuel and Kings but made less interesting and with lots of small contradictions.

Delete this immediately.

why do so many people here apparently hate the NT (other than "because they are retards/plebs")? what the fuck do they believe in? because its impossible to be a 'Christ'ian without Christ's lessons, right?

>fave
Genesis
>Least
All whole new testament

it's a recap episode

just started rereading the Bible, read the first half of Genesis today and really enjoyed it. The first time I read it the names and relation of the characters were somewhat confusing to me which is absolutely not the case now, giving the stories greater depth. I plan on rereading all my favourite books which, to answer your question, are Genesis, Exodus (except the boring ass part about the measurements of the tabernicle), maybe Judges, Samuel and parts of Kings. I'd also like to reread Job, Proverbs, Song of Solomon and Ecclessiastes. Maybe a few of the major profits like Jeremiah and Ezekeal if I'm feeling upto it. Maybe Esther and Daniel.

I'm more of an OT fan but I guess rereading Mark, John, Corinthians, Acts and Revelation could be nice.

Damn now that I listed everything it looks like a lot, especiallly for a non Christian/Jew like myself.

>Favorite Book(s)
1 Samuel and 2 Samuel

>Least Favorite Book
Proverbs

Attached: David embraces Absalom.gif (476x640, 168K)

>least
>Proverbs
nephew

I don't care for any of the prophets. Genesis 1-11 has always been the most interesting to me because its so dense. I could write an entire book on just that one section.

>Favorites
John, Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel, Job
>Least Favorite
Jude, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ruth

The epistles just aren't all that interesting from a literary perspective

>favorites
Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Isaiah, Gospels, Hebrews, Revelation
>least favorites
Song of Songs (literally just a meme), Recap episodes (Deut./Chronicles), most of the really forgettable minor prophets (Malachi not included)

>Song of Songs (literally just a meme)
FUck you

Dawg... Song of Songs is the best book and is my personal favorite. This is what I like to call the Divine Romance and I'm about to tell you why.

Solomon falls in love with a country girl despite the fact that he is a king who is able to smash any thot in Israel if he so desired. Instead, he stoops down to her level just to be with her.

Here's the good part. God, although he is all powerfull, descended through down through Jesus to be with man. Why, because of his divine love for his one and only conpanion, mankind. He put all the other thots on pause to be with us.

This book may be a little uncomfortable to read at first but to me is the most beautiful book in the Bible.

The allegorical interpretation of Song of Songs has never really convinced me. I still believe it's just erotic poetry. Not nearly on the level of the Psalms either.

Well brother, every book in the Bible serves a purpose to the bigger picture. This book would not be included if it was mere erotic poetry. I take it that your are not a Christian yourself?

I am a conservative Christian who attends church weekly. I deny the authority of the ecumenical councils, including their authority to decide the canon. As such, I am not forced into the position of believing Song of Songs is scripture or God-breathed. The rest of the non-apocryphal books are fine.

How do you know any book in the bible is inspired?

I'm enlightened by the Holy Spirit and not by any phony council's blessing.

You joke but this is actually a serious problem for protestants. The Catholic position is that when taken merely as a reliable human document, the bible shows that Jesus established a church built on the apostles who then had the authority to declare which writings also had God as their author. The Old Testament canon was set long before and was confirmed by Jesus himself who used the Greek Septuagint which included all of those "apocryphal" works like the Song of Solomon.

>Christians
>Jesus is THE light and THE way
>favorite book in the bible doesn't even have Jesus in it.

You're retarded

The Protestants deny the idea of apostolic succession. So for them the Bible, though God-breathed, is ultimately put together by men, under the guiding of the Holy Spirit. Therefore any council, whether 1000 years ago, or today, has just as much a right to put it together.

The fact that this effort has been done multiple times by Protestants and resulted in a similar, though shorter, version of the Bible just shows that they might be right.

The problem with the protestant view is that it makes every book of the bible suspicious. There's no argument against groups like the Mormons adding and subtracting or even editing books as they wish.

You'll note that Protestants only ever remove books. They don't edit them (translation errors aside) and they don't add them. So when Islam and Mormonism come along and add a bunch of books that contradict the first bits, it's not that hard to exclude them.

I don't see how the distinction matters. If I were to remove Acts or Genesis they would just as damaging to Christianity as adding a few books or editing them. From a Protestant viewpoint, the Islamic argument of corruption has some validity. After all, how could we truly know the gospels weren't edited or that the authors didn't lie if there isn't some objective arbiter like a divinely inspired Catholic church to verify them?

>favourite
Genesis
>Least
Deuteronomy

>dood like Solomon gave up on all the thoths for the grill he loved and Christ gave up on all the thots for his true wife the church

If I were to not remove books that were theologically incoherent, that would be damaging too. From a Catholic viewpoint, the Islamic argument of fulfilling what Christ started has some validity. After all, how could we truly know the gospels weren't superseded by additions from Paul, or that the Church didn't add arbitrary books if there isn't some Holy Spirit which inspires councils regardless of their affiliation to a particular denomination.

The whole problem Protestantism has is that it became painfully obvious that the Catholic Church was neither divinely inspired nor an objective arbiter, and that the reason for this was precisely because the Catholic Church was composed of humans.

I can't make any sense of your first paragraph. If I were to not remove books it would be theologically damaging? I don't know what the "Islamic argument of fulfilling what Christ started" is and when you simply copy and paste what I write and change a few words it only adds to the incoherence because you're not speaking in your own voice. As far as how we know the church didn't arbitrarily add books to the canon, well we know that because they were the ones who created the canon. They obviously didn't just grab some random books and call it the bible.

You argue that because the church is made up of humans, it follows that they're not divinely inspired. Why doesn't this apply to the human authors of the bible? They were written by human hands therefore they're not inspired.

>implying the Holy Spirit is incapable of leading both groups
You're both wrong anyways, the east is where the most perfect form of Christianity lives

>> Favourite Book
Infinite Jest.

> Least Favourite Book
>>If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans

wait oh shit, nvm

Attached: xhkuez09xwl01.jpg (640x551, 39K)

Repent from your wicked ways

no u

join ze way of izlam

Attached: graf.jpg (550x344, 60K)

Matthew

John

elaborate

on?

>The whole problem Protestantism has is that it became painfully obvious that the Catholic Church was neither divinely inspired nor an objective arbiter

What does Matthew 16:19 mean to you? The key imagery is clearly a reference to Isaiah 22, which indicates that Peter will be given an office in Jesus' kingdom. I'll elaborate on this:

In the Davidic kingdom, the king appointed a cabinet of ministers (1 Kgs 4:1-6; 2Kgs 18:37). Of these ministers, one was elevated to a unique status. His authority was second only to that of the king, who gave him the authority over all other minsters and everyone else in the kingdom. This was a common practice in the Near East. For example, when Joseph became the prime minister of Egypt, Pharaoh said, "You shall be over my house [dynasty and kingdom], and all my people shall order themselves as you command; only as regards the throne will I be greater than you ... I am Pharaoh, and without your consent no man shall lift up hand or foot in all the land of Egypt" (Gen 41:40,44). The Symbol of Joseph's office was the signet ring that Pharaoh took from his hand and put it on Joseph's hand (Gen 41:42)

David ruled from 1010 to 970 BC. However, his dynasty continued after his death. Hezekiah became the king of Judah at the age of 25 approximately 265 years after King David's death. Hezekiah's rule from 715 to 687 was marked by a great religious reform. It was during his reign that Shebna, the prime minister or royal steward (Is 22:15) was removed from his office:

Behold, the Lord will hurl you away violently, O you strong man ... I will thrust you from your office, and you will be cast down from your station" (Is 22:17, 19).

Eliakim will be installed in his place as prime minister (Is 22:20-22). The symbol of that office is "the key of the house of David" (Is 22:22).

The point of Jesus' reference to Isaiah 22 is to indicate that Peter will also be given an office in Jesus' kingdom, which is his Church. That office will continue as long as Jesus' kingdom on earth continues. Jesus is the new Moses. Like the first Moses, Jesus established a priestly hierarchy in his kingdom. Peter and his successors are the chief ministers in that kingdom, the rock upon which Jesus will build his Church. The power to bind and loose gives Peter and his successors the power to absolve sins and to make definitive judgement in matters of faith and morals. Peter and his successors are protected from teaching error, because God who is truth binds and looses in heaven what Peter binds and looses on earth.

>Favourite
1 & 2 Samuel

>Least Favourite
Most of Paul

It's a slightly midrashic retelling of Biblical history, that kind of reinterpretation of scripture became very popular with retellings of just about every story in the Hebrew scriptures. Chronicles was one of the earliest and had the greatest breadth so it became pretty popular. It's interesting to learn about how Jewish interpretation of scripture evolved, but it doesn't offer much for a devotional reader.

NOAB's notes focus on historical and literary criticism, it's not really for devotional reading. You can get a 4th edition for cheaper than that.

It's so meagre and repetitive compared to the breadth of content in the Old Testament. The four biographies are great but are 3/4 the same and are hyped as the greatest thing ever. The real gem is Revelation, probably one of the most dense works in the apocalypse genre, it has a lot more in common with the Old Testament and Second Temple Jewish writings than the New Testament. I'd say a work from a similar era that comes close is 2 Esdras (4 Ezra), because while the imagery isn't as striking it has a more complex morality.

It's not worth it at all.

ok, thank you. $30 seemed pretty steep anyway.

>Fav
Gospel of Thomas
>Least Fav

great taste senpai

>fav
Wisdom
>least
Haggai

Isn't the gospel of Thomas just a bunch of pagan stuff?

It's gnostic fanfiction

thomas ain't fanfic bro he was part of jesus crew back in the day but he u can tell he was kind of a fuck up who drank too much and couldn't take a hint, so they didn't make it canon, u know like one of those wu-tang killa beez albums that aren't really part of the wu ouvre

I want to read the bible Veeky Forums. Never read one before. Should I get a kjv for my first one, specifically a red letter version? I was raised catholic but I’m looking at orthodoxy or just non denominational Christianity.

>king james version
>not the new penguins classics edition with explanatory footnotes and an introduction by saint peter

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (702x800, 55K)

>jewish bible way better than christian bible
really makes you think

Attached: anniecolor.jpg (227x222, 4K)

>non denominational Christianity
What the hell is that? Isn't that like saying "neutral" philosophy?

>Raised Catholic
>Never read the bible

Yeah no you're full of shit pal

Maybe I should’ve said I never read it in it’s entirety. Never studied it either except for Sunday school but I don’t really count that
No. You just follow the bible without allocating a denomination to yourself.

Okay, here's a question: which book has the best prose?

John, I guess. And Psalms has the best poetry.

Can one follow the Bible, as you say, without being baptised and joining a church and receiving sacraments? Can one call one self a Christian at all in that case?

>Favorite
John, Ecclesiastes, Amos
>Least favorite
Most of the Torah

I have never been to a mosque and I call myself a Muslim.

So yes.

Job and revelations because roasties get toastied

Least favorite:
Leviticus, because its boring and no longer applicable b/c Jesus.

>no longer applicable
then why does Christ cite the OT?

After he dies and the inner sanctum is breached, symbolically removing the restriction, pagan. (also why catholics are retarded)

I have never been laid and I still consider myself a pussy slayer.

>pagan
lol
>im the smart denomination
but you don’t even know that the NT has no authority or validity without the OT its just nonsense. If Christ doesn’t issue from the line of David then he is not God. Its that simple. The very fact that his blood needing to be from Noah and from Adam proves the entire OT is part of the mythology. Sorry, you’re a Jew

Get an ESV, it's easier to read than KJV and it's worded more poetically. You'll enjoy it more.

>Favourites
Genesis
Exodus
Judges
Samuel
Kings
Chronicles
Revelation

>Least Favourite
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Ecclesiastes
The Gospels

The old testament is still applicable of course, but, Levitical law only applies to Levitical priests. There is no law in the old testament that we're still under, the law was only to be a light to show that there was darkness, if you get the metaphor. I'm too tired to really be coherent right now, so I probably should just keep my mouth shut, but yeah.

Nobody picked Ezekiel as their favorite?! That shit is one dope acid trip.

>The Gospels
What don't you like about the Gospels? I'm assuming this isn't a bait post because Samuel and Kings are really good books.

> Favourite Book(s)
Revelation, it has inspired my own writing in ways that nothing else has.

>Least Favourite Book(s)
>Trying to get me to blaspheme the holy word

Nice try heathen

>least favorite
>Ruth
Literally one of the most important books in the bible for Christians

What makes you say that?

I just find it boring, and didn't get much out of it. What makes it so important? Break it down for me.

Is Habukuk any good?