Uni thread?

Anyone looking to study Veeky Forums?
I'm going for econ this fall, but considering a double major or minor in literature or philosophy to help with law school if I wind up going for it.

Attached: uchicago.jpg (300x300, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chicagomaroon.com/article/2014/11/25/admin-student-confirm-fake-facebook-hack/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>econ

Why the fuck would you go to law school? Being a lawyer is notoriously unpleasant, and the profession is collapsing, so you probably won't even get hired. If you're so in love with money, there are better options.

fpbp

By the way OP, I went to U Chicago. It's a good school, but all of the humanities professors under 60 are doctrinaire commies and the stuents are all idiot spoiled Econ bros, their gold-digger sorority girlfriends, dem-soc idiots, and rabidly autistic sjw's. So all I'm saying is, be wary and think for yourself.

hence why I said "if." I've never heard a positive thing about law, but it's still enticing. I think I have a romantic idea of law. Not even sitcom bs criminal law, I would aim for constitutional law.
Economic theory is a patrician field

I do physics
Would gladly have gotten a minor in english or literature or whatever if my goddamn stem school offered it

Attached: GeorgiaTechSeal.svg.png (1200x1200, 320K)

Fuck "if," don't even think. Having romantic delusions is one thing. Letting them ruin your life and put you into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is quite another.

>doctrinaire commies and the stuents are all idiot spoiled Econ bros, their gold-digger sorority girlfriends, dem-soc idiots, and rabidly autistic sjw's
To be fair this describes every top twenty school today

spotted the resentful trumptard

this describes all colleges going back to the mid 19th century
you're making me want to kick over fish tank user, careful

We'll, not Notre Dame ("Affable Catholic normies")

I wish I was there when Richard McKeon and Norman Maclean and Albert Michaelson all taught there.

freshman @ other top uni slightly north of chicago. majoring in film even though i prefer lit and philosophy because i think film is a far more viable medium for being seen/being successful (comparatively). probably going to double major in comparative literature, seems more interesting than english lit. i love philosophy for its ideas but the focus of writing in the two (to be fair fairly introductory courses) have been about dumbing down everything into simple variables that can work and logically progress in your closed system devoid of the complexity of life it's supposed to represent.

also majoring in some major depression haha :) idk man, i don't know if this is exclusive to my uni but it feels so isolating to be interested in sort of the ideas behind things and to think compulsively and unambiguously to the bottom of things. i thought the whole normie and soyboy thing was an internet meme but people here just seem to be cultural products parroting opinions with "organic" worldviews that just happen to reflect a slightly individuated rephrasing of some accepted viewpoint. and as someone who just does a lot of cardio and doesn't do more than 30 pushups a day, the people in the lit classes i've taken have appeared so emasculated and bland. i keep hoping there's people in the woodworks who are gonna reveals themselves and chirp up in class and raise a genuinely interesting point that'll have me scratching my noggin.

but yeah my point i guess is that no one has genuine individual taste/opinions combined with critical thinking. it's all just different clichés of thought-structures. again, maybe i'm just at the wrong school. the idea of liberal arts colleges really appealed to me but i think how that actually manifests with posturing kids seeking identity and wanting to be seen as unique and intellectual and so on would have depressed me even more.

how're your guys' uni experiences?

I'm an accelerationist. Succ me off, brainlet. My description is purely objective.

Tell me this isn't "rabidly autistic"
chicagomaroon.com/article/2014/11/25/admin-student-confirm-fake-facebook-hack/

Is this a new copypasta?

Attached: image.jpg (1242x2208, 1013K)

I'm doing French and Spanish. I wish I had not fucked around as I did in school so that I weren't at pseud-central. I would go with philosophy to beef up your logic, as you probs already know, phil majors do the best on the LSAT, on average.
Pretty much any top forty school too

Attached: KissFromARose.jpg (509x781, 67K)

>2014
resentful indeed

Not worse than Columbias mattress girl

Sounds like every college

>"Successful"
>in any creative field

Good post tho, I felt the same way about University. The real benefit isn't what you learn so much as the "emperor wears no clothes" revelation. It's even the "elite" are so petty and vacuous, it makes you feel like you can do anything.

Attached: 483.jpg (251x185, 8K)

Not really, it's just a good example. I wouldn't call that par for the course exactly, but it was hardly shocking either, given the atmosphere there, which in fact still persists.

good school, good choice of major imo, but forget the stupid double major (it won't help) and take foreign language courses instead while you can. trust me, you won't regret it.

also, don't go to law school. even the "best" law jobs are terrible.

Doing literature, graduating in a month. Be prepared for new Marxist post modernist propaganda to be shoveled down your throat. Think like them or you won’t score well at all.

>freshman
don't worry, we could tell

>first year at a t14 law school

sup goys? it's actually chill and not that bad

Been there, done that. You're right, it's not nearly as challenging as people make it out to be.

What's your career plan?

i'll have zero debt. but probably a few years of big law and then reassess. from there work remotely and live abroad or start a family and go comfy in house

what do u do?

I mean, yeah, I'm really doubtful over my feelings and thoughts but that's sort of why I posted without qualifying everything or taking steps back. Like I want the problem to be me because it's actually possible to change myself and my outlook on things, but every experience seems to keep confirming and deepening my dread, and again, if i have a shitty/deluded outlook on myself, others, and the world i'll see what i want to see. So, could you guys elaborate? It'd be really helpful to me.

Yeah, that's completely been my takeaway so far, both incredibly depressing and really inspiring.

My alma mater. Don't go here. Don't let your friends go here. Don't let your kids here. Don't let your friends' kids go here.

It's a campus full of type A, pre-med autists who only understand social interaction in the form of undercutting each other to improve their chances of becoming wealthy doctors. It's a haven of neuroteses and mental illness where the school's unofficial policy is to try and convince you to at least transfer to another institution before you drop out, and our drinking culture reflects that whole heartedly. The real Davidson motto is "win or lose, the cats will booze" because everyone is in a constant drinking stupor to try and make it through their days. Panic attacks are common and school spirit is not.

Attached: DavcDimensionsSeal_220.png (220x220, 64K)

>film

Change your fucking major.

it's pretty sad how little campus culture is spoken about or understood in highschool

yeah, you visit colleges to get a 'feel' for them, but you don't realize just how soul crushing it is to be surrounded by educated losers until you're stuck there year two

it's like waking up in a years long dead end relationship

I'm more or less in the exact same boat as you, but kinda wish I had done something else.

I want to know which school you're at but that's probably an instant self-doxx.

nope. im getting a business degree with a concentration in accounting cause id like to make money.

I did this. People will shit on you but remember they’re neets who think they’ll write a book one day and make it

2L in massive debt at a shitty low ranked law school here.

>romanticized
You got that right. Con law isn't even a thing you go practice. It's in every field. It's the basis of our fucking legal system. You have to know con law to do ANY law.
I remember how lovely the blinders were 1L year. Good times. Now I don't have enough focus to care like I did the first year, even though everything just keeps piling up.

Attached: 8eeba475f9fb801cffa2508071d81c96.jpg (736x1390, 335K)

who /stuttgart/ here?

>be whistful teenager
>think I'm going to go to Cornell or some place like that and have an apartment overlooking the city and write fiction on an old fashioned typewriter, be a really cool and mysterious intellectual dude
>wind up going to state uni in my hometown because I was lazy and didn't apply anywhere else
>spend a semester in English lit and really enjoy it but let myself get pressured out by family and friends who think it's pointless
>finally develop some real sense of self and kinda also wish I'd stayed in English instead of going on to try a bunch of things I hate and failing at them because of that bougie ass pressure that gets put on you to maintain your class status as an upper middle class kid by becoming an engineer or some shit
>still write, it's a lot better, but I'm just writing stories in notebooks for myself
>after dropping the pretention of thinking I have to write some great work of literature and be super important someday I can just write for self expression and pleasure
Sorry for the blog post, I just felt like sharing.

I toured U Chicago in high school and noticed four things. First, the tour guide spoke with a lisp, and rolled his eyes. Second, everyone who presented during the tour had clenched hands, as though they were very tense and nervous. Third, the place was littered with cigarette butts. And fourth, the entire campus was a mishmash of old beautiful architecture and disgusting modern buildings that didn't match at all.

I'm not saying I would have gotten in, but it was enough to convince me not to apply.

asu

350pgs left in infinite jest

Attached: sparky.gif (900x900, 24K)

i.e. don't go to university in America

Any other patricians?

Attached: IMG_1798.png (1200x1190, 349K)

I share your fantasies

>the entire campus was a mishmash of old beautiful architecture and disgusting modern buildings that didn't match at all.
That's every college campus now. Too many schools, too much marketing, too many dumbfucks at the top. I can't go to my college now. It was a masterpiece of staid redbrick classicalism, towering trees and immaculate lawns and now it's pockmarked with modern workout buildings and a gorgonian glass-walled student union complex, the sight of which sent me to my car never to return

Fiction MFA

SDSU

Fun stuff.

How is this Veeky Forums-related? Go fuck yourselves, uni-thots.

>Think like them or you won’t score well at all.
Not getting stoned and concocting a rhetorically flashy idiosyncratic reading that your prof can't understand so he gives you an A. This is the only reason to be a lit major. When they see criticism that is actually a work of art they are almost always going to be embarrassed to feed it through their usual lens

t. FiIthy Neet

Wrong, I graduated three years ago, spent a year in army service and now I have a decent job now that doesn't even require me to work.
Ecoutez, mes hommes, uni is fine and all that, but you all build your hopes up too much, it's just another stage in life and nothing exciting will ever happen to you.

Undergrad: Cornell
Grad School: Duke
Subject: Biology
Opinion: These bragging threads are a crutch. They just help stoke your ego.

Kill the ego.

Anyone go uoa? Need some mates

Attached: images.png (340x325, 6K)

> implying
They’re funding abortion for staff and students.

Universities are just leftist shillgrounds now, I have not gone and have no desire to do so.

Not every uni is Berkely. If you don't have any real talent, then yeah, don't go to uni, but if you have what it take to be a great engineer, then not going to MIT or CalTech because you saw some videos of feminazis on youtube is kinds dumb.

What's up my dude. Annapolis or bust.

>assets = equity + liabilities
wow, tough stuff

My cousin went there for undergrad. Drop the double major, unless it's something quantitative. Focus on research or something else you're passionate about. Value the people you'll meet at a school of that caliber, and make friends early on.

That sounds like Georgia Tech if you replace the undercutting pre-meds with groveling engineers who will suck your cock if you say the word "internship" or cs kiddies that talk about startups like they're Jehovah's Witnesses

>leaking roof
>cats, dogs, and even goats
>studying in pillars modified into "rooms"
>only 15 chairs so the other 10 students stand during class
>no tables for the ones that sit
>doing exams without a table
>toilets without soap or toilet paper
>no coffee bar or food bar
>and plenty more

Meet the public university in Skopje, Macedonia (aka the hell on earth country).

Attached: CVEpEYTXIAAPxnl.jpg (715x837, 77K)

The point of college is that you're supposed to utilize the resources given to you to enhance your own learning along with the classes provided to you. Yes, you're correct that a lot of college students think in cliches and there are a lot of people who are less than curious in themselves, but that's where finding your own cliques and groups of people who share your proclivities comes in.

I’ll be honest, I think the same way sometimes, but that’s because I have low self-esteem and an inferiority complex. If the problem seems to be with everybody else, it’s probably with you.

This isn’t to say that the majority are infallible, in fact, far from it. But in this situation, where one feels as though they are superior to most people they talk to, it is most likely ignorance and arrogance on our part. You must eliminate it like any other bias: experience and logically dismantling the bias every time you catch it influencing your thinking.

Attached: image.jpg (500x730, 455K)

Consider a Christian/Jesuit school, even if you're not religious. It seems to moderate the "muh activism" sentiment among 19 year olds.

Attached: bostoncollege.jpg (1070x536, 686K)

>muh commie professors
Fuck off back to /pol/ retard.

>comparative literature, seems more interesting than english lit
Agreed. Wish this had been my major. Trying to get into a masters program for it now but having a hard time because of my undergrad major.

>feels so isolating to be interested in sort of the ideas behind things and to think compulsively and unambiguously to the bottom of things
It's not just your uni. Every school I've been to for any amount of time (3) has had this. Uni has become something like high school and it depresses the fuck out of me. People are there just because they feel like they "have" to be to get jobs. No one is there to learn let alone create new knowledge. At least until you get to the phd level and then 7/8ths of the people (at least) are just pushing ideology behind the mask of research. I have never found someone at any school that I've considered my equal in terms of how I think.

>no one has genuine individual taste/opinions combined with critical thinking
Yup. I also have no liberal arts experience but I hope to God it's better than large research unis.

>Be prepared for new Marxist post modernist propaganda to be shoveled down your throat. Think like them or you won’t score well at all.
What's it like being functionally retarded in university?

here again,
I graduated last year and I can tell you that even when I got into my upper 400 level classes nothing I said changed. No one had any deep insight. No one had any new points of view to add. I should also mention that I went to one of the most diverse schools in the country, even having some people from Cuba and one from North Korea. Nothing was different. All the Stacys and Chads (which accounted for roughly 60% of each class) would just sit and play on Facebook and then all ask for help from the people paying attention then share the best notes from each person. Then suck up to the professor for brownie points to get better grades on the more subjective assignments like papers and the like.
The rest of the class would just do the work like any other busy work, never interrupting, never asking questions, never adding anything. Just being "good students." I really hate that it's drilled into kids from an early age to never interrupt adults because you end up with these zombie young adults who hate "adulting" and can't think for themselves or solve problems.
I remember one incident in particular where I was in my Real Estate lecture (ECON 4XX). I had brought up a point that instead of using Y data as a proper way to show X that we could use Z as a better measure because it eliminated some extraneous variables. Mind you my professor is an adjust who works full time for congress as his day job. He actually stopped the lecture and had to think about it for a minute before modeling a little bit and saying that what I had thought of was actually a very unique way to solve the problem and seemed to have some real benefits and that he'd have to look into it more to see if this was something that could add to the way we taught subject X. He was legitimately thrilled that a student had actually made a new contribution even if at such a surface level.
After that same class a kid came up to me and asked why I had to do that because it bothered them and made them look bad for not having said something first. This other student was actually upset with me for doing what I did. It blew my mind.
So no, it doesn't get better.

They really need to do more in general for high school kids in regards to teaching them what colleges to pick. At my high school we had one visit to one local small school, then we had some reps from the major state school come. That was literally it.

Are you me?

You guys have an amazing campus. I was there two years ago for a pool tournament.

I don't go there but I'm from the area. 10/10 town if it weren't so fucking cold in winter. The humid winters just make the cold stick to your fucking bones.

>I also primarily post on /pol/
You should stay there.

Headed here in fall.

Is there a reason to take philosophy classes or should I just read whatever I want and focus on Biochem and Marine Biology classes

Attached: Western logo_no background.png (2353x1186, 414K)

Really? I've always heard 1L is hell but that it gets bad after that. What are some of the most popular law fields students take? I'm a junior undergrad, not interested in litigation, would rather be a transactional lawyer of some sort.

How about you get the fuck off my board you commie parasite?

Biochem and especially marine biology are just as useless as philosophy career-wise

>freshman @ other top uni slightly north of chicago
Northwestern?

lcc, my friend

>tfw I go to a uni so shitty I'm ashamed to post it.
I'm about to graduate, and I'm still angry at myself for going no here.

Inclúyanme en la captura de pantalla.

Patrician checking in

Attached: i.png (500x500, 17K)

>my board
Or you can go the fuck back to /pol/

What's wrong with being a communist?

based

thaks senpai

What the hell are you me

I was accepted but I fell for the stem meme and went to a local school. Now I want to transfer but I don’t want to be in college for 5 years.

hate this place for so many reasons but the Veeky Forums education is actually pretty good so I haven't left yet

Attached: Screenshot_20180316-120538.jpg (1068x1093, 556K)

Do you mean lmc? If so I know like two of them and even they have no idea what the major actually entails, it seems like a series of buzzwords about "communication" strung together into a degree.
If it's anything like the absolute jokes that are our english classes I would never go near the program. My english 1102 was fucking "folklore in videogames."

Unironically thinking of doing an Open University degree.

Now before you Americans tell me it's a scam, it's not, the Open Uni in the UK offers degrees that are worth the same as every other university and are all accredited.

The benefits are quite simple: 1. it's much cheaper, and 2. you can do it from home in your spare time. I know going to university and meeting people is part of the experience but I already have one degree so I don't need to relive my youth.

Hey user, not a bad idea but if you want grad school letters of reference are crucial

>Now before you Americans tell me it's a scam, it's not, the Open Uni in the UK offers degrees that are worth the same as every other university and are all accredited.
How the hell do you know they're "worth the same?" From their advertising pamphlets? No employer is going to look at that and not laugh at you.
What degree are you looking at and what are you planning to use it for

Studied philosophy and then law here. A tremendously comfy place.

I actually enjoyed law school but could not fathom ever working as a lawyer. The interesting work is high-stress and low-pay (e.g. criminal defense), the rest of it will probably ruin your mind.

I hated all of the networking required so I never actually even found a position after graduating, but I had fortunately been stockpiling cryptocurrencies since 2016 so I'm set for a long time now. I don't have "fuck you" money but I don't need to work.

Contemplating returning to school for computer science or possibly trying the academic philosophy route. Giving myself a few years to think about it.

Attached: UBC-vancouver-campus.jpg (1000x563, 314K)

Damn this place sounds amazing. 8:1 student to teacher ratio, only 500 students, looks nice, they don't give a shit about grades, just 4 years of being comfy and reading and discussing the canon.

M.A. in Philosophy, Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

Attached: Columbia.png (882x768, 122K)

Well the first thing is that the degrees are accredited, I hope you know what that implies: you get the same education as every other nationally recognised degree (this is all I care about because I'm doing the degree for fun).

The second thing is you can look at employment rates within 6 months of graduating, and information on starting salaries is available, if you're worried about money.

But more importantly we need to stop this juvenile idea that somehow employers give a fuck about what university you went to, unless it's Oxford or Cambridge, in which case yes, those definitely catch their attention. For everything else experience/portfolio is waaay more important.

>I hated all of the networking required so I never actually even found a position after graduating
are you me

Very jelly belly
what was your GRE?