I'm thinking about learning to become a highschool english teacher at the age of 27

I'm thinking about learning to become a highschool english teacher at the age of 27.

Does anybody else here have that job?

I just learned yesterday that Robert Frost, Max Stirner and even Wittgenstein (among others) worked as highschool teachers for varying amounts of time, so it can't be only for plebs - though that isn't to say I'm not one.

Is it a job for the weak and unambitious? I'm torn, as my father (who left when I was a kid and was a successful businessman) hated teachers and considered them lazy etc.

Attached: frost.jpg (539x407, 27K)

I know several old guys who already made thier money and family and decided to be highschool teachers because they liked the idea of educating the next generation.

Teachers can be really great, sometimes.

Attached: spengler_large.jpg (856x1035, 279K)

27 isn’t old

>Robert Frost, Max Stirner and even Wittgenstein
in the early 20th century in all white countries
>is it a job for the weak and unamitious
yes, that's why everyone with an iq above 110 can be a HS teacher
>my father who was a successful businessman who i'm still sad abandoned my mother, thought that they were weak and lazy
they are weak and lazy, highschool is autopilot+shit eating+restraining oneself from wanting to fuck jailbait chicks

I've worked off and on as a highschool teacher.

Its a fun job. Intellectually stimulating enough, not as time consuming as one might think, and the social role inherent in it (of being a role model for a bunch of children) is spiritually invigorating.

Yeah, what I'm implying is that I think it can be a job to be proud of, and I have met people who already got stuff together and still wanted to contribute and deal with idiot HS kids all day.

But maybe it's a bad example, it was thier last career not thier first, if they wanted to prove to themselfs that they were ambitious and strong, they started somewhere else mostly.

Wow I had no idea Spengler was a highschool / academy teacher. And he was exactly the same age going into it. He had a PhD so I'm not sure why he didn't teach in a university.

Also didn't know Death of the West was published at such a young age (34). Impressive.

>He didn't fuck JB chicks during hs
Sad!

What do you mean by "off and on"?

In truth, while I would take the role seriously, I am intending to train as a teacher primarily so that I can get some experience and then take a few years off to write. My primary ambition is to write, and even being a substitute teacher seems alright to me.

It's respectable in my opinion, it takes a certain strength to be able to guide and shape future generations.

Of course there are bad teachers and I imagine a lot get broken by a combination of the system and their pupils and perhaps those could be considered weak, but you get the same in any profession.

OP here.

My biggest fear is that I'll just rot away in a career in which I find myself overwhelmed by bureaucracy (the workload leads many teachers in my country to drop out of the profession) and that I am simply taking an easy way out of adult life due to cowardice and weakness.

I previously worked in an office for four years and didn't take a single sick day, didn't use up all my holiday allowance and was earning quite a lot of money (more than I will be earning as a teacher) by the end of it. But I was absolutely miserable and it wasn't leading anywhere nor supplying me with skills I could use to find another job. I was dependent on the job, and plus it was in a major city which I was sick of living in. So it's not as if I haven't proven myself in some sense, but I am a sensitive person who enjoys literature and I'm trying my best to publish books.

My father, however, was a self-made business owner who became an alcoholic and was quite abusive to my mother, and eventually she divorced him. I met him a bunch of times after that at her encouragement, and he absolutely despised teachers and considered them to be lazy, good-for-nothings, almost as bad as those collecting welfare etc. I understand him somewhat, and I do think I would struggle in a classroom environment at first, and I fear also that it would "break me" in terms of thinking I could inspire classfulls of children to be curious, engaging, and so on.

I attended a very shitty school with hugely overpopulated classrooms, terrible funding, kids from rough areas ruining everything, bullying, fights every day, teachers dropping out and replaced by various supply teachers etc. So I think I may just be punishing myself (something I always have a strong instinct to do) by placing the iron heel of a teaching career on my back knowing it will confirm my patheticness.

Are you English by any chance? I teach at a prestigious Grammar School in England (top in the county, high ranked nation wide) and it’s cool as fuck, the kids are all reasonably engaged, some of them are into proper Veeky Forums and ask about things beyond the syllabus. It’s rewarding as fuck, workload is high but not life-consumingly so and you get extra qualifications for free to help with advancement into senior positions (I have a masters in Education attained whilst teaching paid for by my school)

Yes I'm English.

May I ask how old you were getting into teaching, and whether you were able to find a job relatively near to where you wanted to work?

First year high school teacher here. Like any job there are teachers who take it seriously and work hard and care and there are those that don't. Depends on the school, the subject, and the students as far as I can tell. Likewise It's not exactly a job for the weakest and laziest. Even young teachers have some freedom because they have trouble keeping positions filled. Dealing with teenagers, especially bad ones, is hard and you don't get payed a lot for it. Teachers can get lazy because you're generally not managed as closely as a typical 9-5, so personal motivation matters a lot more. It's the most meaningful job I've ever had and 3/4 of the way through my first year I still suck hard at it. I've heard it takes 3-5 years for the whole thing to come together. Maybe that's when you get lazy.

What d you mean you suck hard?

Is there a lot of needless paperwork involved? I think it would be the ticking of boxes and so on that would make me depressed, rather than the teaching itself.

23 when I began now 25, the SCITT scheme will basically mean you study at one of 20 or so schools in a group and you’ll be able to pick a school close to you to study at so it’s very accommodating. There are also bursaries now so for English you’d get £16k tax free just to train and then after that you’d be on 23k which rises every year you stay in teaching for 5 years, then aim at cracking senior leadership or chase the money as a teacher at a private/Grammar school

>restraining oneself from wanting to fuck jailbait chicks

stirner created an entire philosophy justifying fucking 16 year olds

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg (800x522, 31K)

There's a lot to teaching that has to be learned by experience. What works with engaging students, when and how to discipline, how much to teach. Paperwork isn't too bad in the US, unless you're talking about grading which can be overwhelming sometimes. Your countryman is probably better to talk to than me at this point.

If you live in a good area, and work at a good school, it's great

If not it's hell on earth.

t: worked at a shitschool during training, now work at a private international school

Trolling

Just noticed
I'm from the UK too.

I did my PGCE training in Bristol and it was hellish. Worked at International Schools in Vietnam and now Korea. I teach Maths but it's super fun. If you're good you can travel to other countries easily.

How's the pay in Asia? Also do you teach Asians or regular people?

I've heard some horror stories (including that American guy on youtube in Japan) about teaching in Asia.

What happens if you stay for two years and then drop out for a year then return to teaching? Do you go back to earning £23k?

>Also do you teach Asians or regular people?

I can’t decide if you’re joking or not but it’s hilarious either way

Not a clue but I would assume you’d go back to similar earnings, I think it’d be unlikely you’re on the 23 again

Do you plan to teach all your life?

Most of it, I worked in a high paying sales job before it and hated the emptiness even though I worked for a great company with lovely people. I can’t imagine doing anything else for the foreseeable future

Did you manage to find work in an area you like?

One of the reasons I'm considering it is that I want to find something closer to my hometown.

Yeah that’s easy enough, jobs available constantly you basically have your pick of the litter. If you went to a good uni and/or training provider then you can get in at a grammar school easily

Why don't more teachers take a year or so out to "do their own thing", e.g. travel, write a novel etc if there is so much freedom and opportunity?

Thanks for answering btw.

They do it’s called a sabbatical and it’s common in England

who is going to pay for that? and do you think most teachers went to good schools or had good jobs prior to teaching?

I'm applying to do a PGCE in Secondary English for September this year. I can't decide where exactly I want to apply for though. I'm sending my application off soon.

I figured maybe Bristol or Brighton

any suggestions?

I teach at a British International school so its actually good and has entry standards for English

If you teach at a fake “””international””” school its just full of asians who can’t speak English whose dumb parents thought putting them in a school with whitey teachers would help them.

The best thing is you get UK holidays and the holidays of the country you’re in, so i get loads of free time to just travel and read and shit

How's the pay?

Similat yo a UK school, but I get a housing allowance too which actually makes it much better

OP do whatever you want, it sounds cliche but it's true. If you are passionate about teaching then perhaps you could be the one teacher who children will look back and think of in high regard.

All my highschool teachers were lazy and useful but one - my history teacher.
And he instilled in me a deep love for history that has continued throughout my life even though it has nothing to do with my chosen degree.

Be the exception, be a great teacher. The world needs them

bump