fanfiction.net/s/11815544/1/
fanfiction.net/s/11858167/1/
m.fanfiction.net/s/12310861/1/
m.fanfiction.net/s/9860311/1/
m.fanfiction.net/s/12614436/1/Hermione-Granger-Demonologist
m.fanfiction.net/s/12568760/1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

IS OUGHT IS OUGHT IS OUGHT IS OUGHT IS OUGHT

"If he'd had twenty fewer years of experience under his belt he might have blinked. Instead he just spat something that he probably shouldn't ought to say in front of the Boy-Who-Lived."

These words confuse me.

Harry Potter is by no means bad literature for kids

Where do I begin?

Attached: isVSought.jpg (800x600, 34K)

Holy shit is that atrocious writing

did someone say ought?

Attached: imrs.php.jpg (480x319, 13K)

Who the fuck uses both "should" and "ought" together? I would think one shouldn't ought to have to phrase things so awkwardly.

Believe me, I'm feeling exactly the same way.

The worst part? This facfic is fucking awesome and I can't stop reading it. I started at 9pm, it's 1am now and I haven't stopped since. I'm forgetting the drink and it's becoming painful. I only remembered this thread because I had to Google a word.

>Chapter 63: The Stanford Prison Experiment, Aftermaths

>"stretched his legs"

Attached: harold-bloom.jpg (1000x646, 152K)

Why do the bad guys use a wand when a gun would be so much more effective? It's like a rapid fire death curse without all the hassle of saying the words.

In cannon? Because anything more complicated than a pocket watch stops working around magic. In fannon? Because you could just cast a spell on the gun, or better yet, stun the idiot who decided to use a weapon that can't block spells.

>Because anything more complicated than a pocket watch stops working around magic

A gun is simpler than a pocket watch

But guns are less mechanically complex than pocket watches

Rowling is a shit author. Fannon>cannon, hence why I mentioned both.

How do the trains run when there's literally a magic fucking portal thing closeby?

See

OH YOU HAVE GOT TO BE SHITTING ME. It's now 4am, I was actually about to stop reading because I had finished these 'parts'. I intended to go to bed at 11pm. Pic fucking related.

Attached: Selection_009.png (715x405, 47K)

What are you guys talking about this time?

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Don't ask, I've been reading it for... fuck, 9pm till 4am (actually, earlier, this thread was posted at 9pm FUCK). I'm not doing arithmetic now. Just read the fucking thing. I never intended to past chapter 2. I'm going to bed absolutely fucking now.

There's no grammatical error here, provided the subject represented by the pronoun "it" actually ought to exist. If it really ought to exist, then it's perfectly fine to say it shouldn't ought to -- although that's a bold claim; we don't decide what should or shouldn't exist.
Still, judging by the usage of "shouldn't ought to" in the excerpt seen in , it is in fact being used incorrectly, and could simply be replaced by "shouldn't".

lesserwrong.com/rationality

i think

what the fuck is this shit

Borderline perfection. The only serious flaws are how much it leans on cannon and how the allegedly 11 years old protagonist sometimes talks to adults.

It's spelled canon and fanon.

Noted, thanks.

I can only see that being said in reply to someone saying "it really ought to exist!".

>lying yid

I know it's a meme, but why didn't they choose something which actually repeats a lot in the books? It would be more effective.
For instance, HP has a lot of people "beaming" at each other, it becomes genuinely tiring.

Attached: bloom.png (907x440, 33K)

Is this... fanfic?

Yes. Yudkowsky's obliteration of Harry Potter, superimposing himself in as an 11 year old rationalist Harry. It starts out very strong, lots of cognitive bias and fun little tricks, gets boring in the middle and then wraps it up unsatisfying. The fight scenes are legitimately great too.

“It shouldn’t should exist”
All women are plebs

Methods of Rationality is pretentious boring shit. Here's a few recent-ish fanfics that I like:

>The Aurors
fanfiction.net/s/11815544/1/
Post-DH detective life, partnering with a fellow Auror, etc.

>The Sum of their Parts
fanfiction.net/s/11858167/1/
Post-DH, Wizarding society goes to shit and Harry turns to dark magic.

>The Augurey
m.fanfiction.net/s/12310861/1/
Harry adopts Delphini (from Cursed Child), also has probably the best H/Hr romance to date

>A Long Journey Home
m.fanfiction.net/s/9860311/1/
Immortal character living through history trope, it's genuinely great.

>Hermione Granger: Demonologist
m.fanfiction.net/s/12614436/1/Hermione-Granger-Demonologist
Hermione learns to summon demons from the Ars Goetia as a child, fun stuff happens.

>Iris Potter and the Goblet's Surprise
m.fanfiction.net/s/12568760/1/
4th year AU with a female Harry, nothing groundbreaking but good writing and characterization.

The last few years have been unironically good for the fandom, as people leave behind terrible cliches and more adult writers join the party.

Where's the boring middle that you're talking about? Personally I'm just past the Azkaban chapters and the only bit that's really annoyed me so far was Dumbledore's first meeting with the protag (Dumbledore just came off as too insane, but after that chapter he became a lot more reasonable). Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the flaws that it has (see , although I should probably also mention the immersion-breaking anime references and the occasionally pointless sciency paragraphs), but what's been great about it has seemed consistent to me. The humour has consistently been fantastic, the shit about emotional trauma has been very relatable and in some cases very shocking (e.g. "I can't remember my children's names", or that entire chapter about how Harry talks like he was abused), and the book has some weird way of showing something about humanity, although it looks I can't really put that last one in to words.

Attached: HPMOR.jpg (3807x2480, 3.07M)

>Methods of Rationality is pretentious boring shit
Do tell?