/qtddtot/ Questions that don't deserve their own thread. Also translations general

/qtddtot/ Questions that don't deserve their own thread. Also translations general.

Attached: 24f8796.jpg (800x613, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_studies
pastebin.com/KP4ytr2q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are Plato's forms an illusion

Reality is an illusion. Platos forms are true.

If matter and motion is infinitely divisible then the answer is no because every ounce of interaction can be explained by the subdivisions in smaller interactions, ad infinitum. If matter isn't infinitely divisible and there's a monadic "structure" as the basic component of matter, then we simply can't explain reality from interacting parts or material structures with physical properties and we would have to explain it in other ways. Are those other ways forms? The property of a monad certainly isn't IN the monad, so in that sense it would be outside of it, and since we would have multiplicity of monads, we would have that for every form there are multiple monads, which would fit with the theory of forms. But then if forms or properties outside the monads composing the world, are the basis for interaction and composition, aren't we just shifting the materiality of the world into the form world, and wouldn't then the form world become the new material world?

Can anyone recommend some good quotes about love for a girl? I've already chosen some from Anna Karenina and Proust, but I'm trying to find some other ones.

congratulations you just repeated an orthodox criticism of atomism and platonic idealism, you want me to call the dog to come lick your ass or does he know the scent of it when you get excited already?

are books good

books are well, superman are good

where do I start with Gaddis and what can I expect from him ? I was thinking maybe The Recognitions is a good start, but idk

Came up with it on my own, brah, but I suppose it's what immediately follows from the premises so I'm not surprised it has been said before.

Attached: 1443627819233.webm (853x480, 2.79M)

What translation of the odyssey should I read?

Hard mode: what translation - and transcription into prose - of the odyssey should I read?

This is why I read COMICS

Attached: 333232.png (450x538, 55K)

JR is easier. Start there. Expect pure chaos. Turn off your senses and just read it. It's okay if you don't understand all of it, you're not really supposed to. JR is like a giant picture puzzle, but when you step back to look at the whole thing there is no picture, just madness that can be rearranged again to form a new non-picture. Gaddis, in my opinion, is the closest anyone has got to "freeing" their fiction from a "narrative". JR is satire at its finest and absolutely fucking hilarious.

This post is for you, user

I like the parallels between Houellebecq and Bolaño. Born in the 50s. Began writing poetry. First published book was a poetry book. Had their big success in the late 90s with a novel. Both have been described as "literary rock and roll" at some point or "rockstars". They're considered the best of their generation in their respective literary traditions.

Source on that image. It is very comfy.

It looks like a vagina, I like it.

Now their differences: One is alive, and the other is dead. One is from the European continent, the other from the American continent. One is experiencing fame and wealth, the other got only a glimpse of it and practically died in poverty. Houellebecq likes Lovecraft, Bolaño liked Poe.

Also, some other paralells: both were/are heavy smokers, both were exiles at some point in their lives.

Which is better the modern library basic works of Cicero or the penguin classics selected works of Cicero?

I want that house so bad my dick is hard

Both loved science-fiction.

How important is translation quality for The Divine Comedy? I have a copy but I read online that the translation isn't the best

Anyone know of some decent introductions to animal studies for critical theory?

Why is evolutionary psychology such a minefield of retards? How do I know which authors are legit and which are memesters?

What's the best order to read Nietzsche for someone who isn't well versed in philosophy?

Ciardi or Hollander is the way to go.

Look up Robert Spalosky. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but Spalosky is neuroendocrinologist that focuses on primates, his whole thing is looking at why/how humans and primates react the way they do through nature/nurture/evolution

I'm specifically looking for something about animal-human relationships. So how animals and human-like creatures are used in texts. Not in the limited way like animal symbolism but as a way that it reflects the conditions of humans and such.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_studies

I'm looking for books like John Dies at the End, but actually well written. I enjoy the bizarro scenarios, the humor, the horror and the gore. I just wished it was better, or at least, more books of the genre that weren't utterly terrible. I'm really fucking jonesing for a fix, and I can't find shit.

The Night Vale book was a fucking dissapointment, by the way.

Attached: tumblr_nchc8c6yhN1rb06tgo1_500.gif (500x281, 1.74M)

I wish Veeky Forums had a chart with tons of translations. I'm looking for symposium/the apology as well as Iliad/Odyssey

What turned Reverend Gwyon into a Mithraist

wtf i thought japs were good at math

Tell me something

>All art is quite useless.
What did he mean by this?

Jim Kirk and Spock are super gay for each other and they always have been

What are your favorite non-fiction books on world war 2?

Best Translation for crime and punishment?

About to go with Oliver Ready

What are some good, less well known, Russian novels?

underrated comment

His is really good.

What's Veeky Forums opinion on majors worth pursuing at a top 20 school? Or rather, what majors are fruitless or have been spoiled by modern academia?

Anything non-STEM is shit

If you want money start preparing for investment banking or computer science for silicon valley

Is Lolita worth a read?

The world would suck if everyone was like you

Are you already wealthy?

100%. Almost all of Nabokov's is worth the read, Lolita may be his best

going to school debt free yes

wealthy no

no
still 20, halfway through degree

Absolutely. If you're hesitant to buy it, google a pdf and read the first two chapters or so. You'll likely be hooked immediately by the prose.

I don't know about the basic works but the Second Philippic in the Penguin edition was an absolute joy to read. The translator did a really good job with it

meant for

riddle me this:

Should we attribute the success of America to the system of governing(representative republic) or capitalism?

I would love a book that address this exact distinction

If the plot of a story builds up to a character accomplishing some incredible feat and then they fail completely is it a cop-out?

If so is it preferable for a character to fail or another character to survive a sacrifice (note that the sacrifice I have in mind isn't intentional)

I think things are more complicated than that. the idea that there's one answer to everything can usually cause a lot of problems

that said, I think it was a mix. America's governing system proved the necessary stability and capitalism provided a motivation, but ultimately I think that the size of the population combined with the above enabling factors meant that america was the most likely places for technological development

yeah, you're right, gotcha watch out with dishing out frivolous absolution

thanks for the catch; and yeah, it seems that the US's government definitely allows for capitalism to prosper

*absolutes

I'm reading Meditations by Aurelius, but I'm not absorbing anything that's being said. It's my first time reading something philosophical. Am I doing something wrong?

So I've been trying to into reading, and I recently finished Brave New World, which I loved. I decided to check out Invisible Man, and now that I've read the prologue, I feel like a dumb fuck. Maybe it's too dense for me as of now? I felt like I was getting it in fragments. What else would be a good novel as a stepping stone? I've been looking at the Veeky Forums starter kit because I don't really know where else to start

Recommend me some good sci-fi that features actual alien entities and not just humans with a makeup a là Solaris

That's normal for any sort of philosophical text. What I like to do is power through my first read without taking notes or looking anything up. Just pick up what you can from it and this will help you absorb it on your second read. Then maybe come back to it a month later and read it again after you've read something else. You have to have this kind of mindset that you're going to reread these books multiple times throughout your life because your perspective and knowledge base is constantly changing and evolving so you're going to see new things every time.

user, don't worry about it. Read Invisible Man one chapter at a time, it's a radical ride of a book. Read one chapter a night, a lot of chapters work well as little episodes for you to finish and then put down instead of continuing. Reading Invisible Man really isn't that hard man, don't sweat it.

Alright, I'll keep moving on through it then. Thanks user

What do you call a sentence that starts with a verb?

Is it the penguin translation? Its horrible

Get the one by gregory hays its much much better

A command?

Picked up Silence of the Lambs at a library sale. Do I have to read Red Dragon first?

Where do I start with philosophy? Is there some chart?
I don't have any previous knowledge at all, and I nothing is translated to my native language so I'll be reading it in English, and it will be hard.

Greeks>Romans>Back to the Greeks

I need specific books, the easiest and most starter pack you can think of.

GR question
Just started act 4, can someone please explain to me what the fuck the kirghiz light actually is?

Start with Plato. It doesn't really matter, just read whatever looks interesting.

What's the religion or philosophy of never-ending self-improvement?

That picture captures the fantasies of my childhood so well. Like life could be an inexhaustable labyrinthine forest that could be explored forever.

I'll be finished an intro to philosophy course by the summer which uses a text that covers most major philosophers and gives a summary of their ideas. Unfortunately, the only primary sources covered in class were the Meno, Crito, and excerpts from nicomachean ethics. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'll probably read more Greek stuff but is it necessary to have a more thorough understanding of pre-18th century ideas before reading Hume and those after him?

Hermeticism

no

Taoism, the philosophy not the religion

Why are trip posters not banned?
>tfw fully expecting the uh bro guy to reply to this.

Okay Veeky Forums what should I read next:
>The Sun Also Rises
>The Crying of Lot 49
>The Broom of the System

The Sun Also Rises.

answer this pls

Lattimore.

First and foremost you're a fag, get better taste. Second, Last Days by Brian Evenson hits most of what you want.
Third, probably start reading writers like Ballard, Bataille and Burroughs.

Ursula Le Guin's books have something like that.

No, it's good standalone. Fatherland, Pompeii and Enigma are not in the Lecter storyline but are also immensely good.

I remember reading a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court when I was a kid. I have a vague memory of it but is it considered good for adult readers or is it still "teenager" material.

What translation or copy should I get of Plato's Republic?

What are the most useful literary devices in fiction and literature as a whole? I have a feeling metaphor will probably be the top device, but then again, it's replicated in many different mediums. What's a device unique to literature but also effective?

Attached: 1519097803396.jpg (552x578, 61K)

Here is a paper I wrote on Plato if you care at all

pastebin.com/KP4ytr2q

CDC Reeve's is the best. Get the most recent edition.

The endless bottomless well that is the German romantic idealists

Not necessarily a command.
e.g.
"Smile and the world smiles with you."

I don't know of any specific term for a sentence that begins with a verb. Obviously it's often a command but can be other things.

Not sure if this is a joke, but Thomas Harris (who wrote the Lecter books) is not Robert Harris (who wrote Enigma etc).

How lesser known do you mean? "Not Tolstoy" tier or "so obscure the only translation is from google translate" tier?

Something neither too obscure, nor Tolstoy/dosto/Gogol-tier. Something like The Golovlyov Family or Envy (by Olesha). Hope that makes sense.

That's two clauses though, and the first one *is* a command. I'm not a linguist but I feel like all independent clauses starting with verbs are commands in English.

Active indicative verbs maybe

Are Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austin good?

Is there a philosophic system that's all about comfiness?

Jane Eyre is great

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is really good.