American lit vs Russian lit

>Melville, Poe, Hemingway, Faulkner, Kerouac, McCarthy, DFW etc

vs

>Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Bulgakov, Nabokov, Pelevin etc

Which is better? Which do you prefer?

Attached: vP4QMbNs_400x400.jpg (400x400, 30K)

>DFW

Attached: 1516390876062.jpg (150x150, 12K)

mark twain is better than everyone

>Pound
>Poe
>Melville
>Hawthorne
>Faulkner
>Crane
>James
>Whitman
>Nabokov
>Dickinson
>Jefferson
>Emerson
>Thoreau
>Eliot
>Stevens
>Cummings
>Stein
>Hemingway
>Anderson
>Dos Passos
>Miller
>Gaddis
>Updike
>Pynchon
>Irving
>DeLillo
>every notable horror fiction writer ever
>every notable science fiction writer ever
>every notable detective fiction writer ever
>every notable genre fiction writer ever

vs

>a bunch of inbred fetal alcohol syndrome slavs

Out of all those American authors, I don't think any has or will have as much relevance to world literature as Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, although I love and have read most of those American authors you have posted.

melville has, hemingway too probably

I love Sminem

>no hawthorne, twain, emerson or salinger

America has overall better quality and more of it but the best of the best of russian works are among the highs of the western canon.

Nabokov could go in either group. His best works were written in English.

>America has overall better quality and more of it

Americans have Melville, and they have parochial trash.

These two categories are exhaustive.

ebin post my friend :)

>notable genre fiction writer

Russian lit is sufficiently depressing for my slav soul, American lit is kinda for lil girls.

Of those you listed, Dostoyevsky and Chekhov are the only ones worth anything from Russia, and Chekhov above Dostoyevsky. Melville is miles above them all. Hemingway has some worth but is below. The rest on the list will be forgotten.

>Chekhov, Bulgakov will be forgotten
lol

girls like being depressed.

Attached: picasso.png (1616x968, 3.64M)

There's 1st world white girl depression and there's the "my options are to either freeze-starve or kill my liver" depression.

actually those two are one and the same. and i'm not talking about '1st world white girls' whatever that means. i mean all women. they have a much harder time of it than men i think

>they have a much harder time of it than men i think
Maybe a century ago, but if you think that the modern Western world doesn't openly and aggressively favor women then you're mentally retarded 2bh

how can someone so stupid be so confident in their opinion? oh right, they're stupid

I disagree. There's a great deal of difference between the depression of a girl and the depression of a boy from the get-go because there is a great deal of difference in their psychology. Their social views and priorities are too vastly different.
Furthermore, the depression of the USSR nations is very specific, almost a generational memory telling you that you will not survive the weather, you will not have enough to feed your family, and most importantly you will not survive your fellow man. I highly doubt that any other westerner knows this feeling, especially not women who in the west were always relatively taken care of and still are.

>I highly doubt that any other westerner knows this feeling
Perhaps with the exception of WW2 veterans.

Since the depression is the same, why do men commit suicide at more than double the rate of women, do you think?

I disagree with him but there may well be different reactions to depression to different genders. When you think about it a woman has much more reasons to preserve her life even in failure than a man. A man was expected to die from the getgo, somewhat, so he will have more mental ability to just end it if he indeed is a failure.

Russia is also much, much older than the US and had been writing books and poetry for much longer.

European virgin or angry latin with a terrible country (or one of the hundreds of countries) that we've exploited? You cant be anything else.

Don’t men still hold the majority of prominent positions in the Western world?

>When you think about it a woman has much more reasons to preserve her life even in failure than a man
Yes, I agree that women have a much easier time of it than men. Men are expendable and thus more likely to consider suicide (the ultimate depressive act) than women, who prefer to feign suicidal thoughts to seek attention and pity. Women will always have a reason to live because of the slit between their legs, but not men

Melville is the only worthwhile seppo.

Not really sure how that's relevant. Why would a woman's sense of entitlement to positions created by men and for men have any influence on the average quality of life among women? Anyways affirmative action is handing out these prizes to unqualified women like hotcakes

You're kind of describing it in a jaded MGTOW way(sounds like you're butthurt about the natural world which is kinda useless), but essentially yes, women have worth even in complete failure as long as it doesn't prevent them from carrying genes, man have very specific tasks that they cannot fail. Psychologically that means that they will consider suicide much more easily.

>Pelevin
nice try, Victor

Americans, merely because the few Russian novelists I truly loved were just that, novelists. The literary state of Russia was sadly born and lost, while thankfully, somehow, America remains, standing on the shoulders of giants, namely, the Russians. Who's next? Sure as fuck isn't germany or latin america, probably Japan will take on the mantle after our inevitable decay.

Melville is a way better short story writer. Him and Hawthorne are at their best in brevity.

I found that I haven't read anything by Melly that I wasn't stunned by until I tried to read the Con Man. I snatched up a copy of twice told tales, scarlet letter, and the house of the seven gables upon learning how much reverence and love Melville had for Hawth. Looking forward to delving into it after I get through with Omensetter's Luck.

>Kerouac

top kek

>America remains
does it?

Yes, but he's not automatically American because he wrote in English. He's American because he became a citizen. Overall, he's Russian and American.

Russia has Tolstoy, end of story.

there are much more good women than good men

i think suicide is more a sort of insanity than depression. but maybe men have better reasons to do it (illness, conflicts of interest, etc.) or maybe it's a less noble reason...

there are things worse than poverty

>I think ending your life doesn't have much to do with depression
Are you a woman by any chance? because you're a fucking idiot

Its rumored that Putin picked Sminem as his successor.

no i'm not. and lots of miserable people live out their lives don't they. this is how the catholic church sees it too (temporary insanity). it's true isn't it that hemingway was sick when he shot himself, his whole ideology was against suicide

>a bunch of nobodies writing regional stuff
>major chads of world literature

Americans are truly delusional.

>American literature
Who gives a fuck desu senpai?

Attached: 15069313434399.gif (281x484, 178K)

Name ONE (1) nation with better literature.

england

Russia is a colossus of world literature even with the language barrier: imagine how many more great poets they must have that are simply not that well known. As for the US, the preeminence of the language and economy of the country no doubt acts like a amplifier to their authors - even the normal ones.

And then there’s the fact that Russia has both Tolstoy and Checkhov. Honestly, no writer in the US can face those two (especially Tolstoy).

Britain, on the other hand, has Shakespeare: here is one of the few writers that can face the literary greatness of Tolstoy.

To my mind the best writers of the US are Melville and Emily Dickinson ; they are birds of paradise, extremely rare and beautiful.

Germany, France, Spain, Russia, England, Ireland, etc

France

Owned

I wanted the lists to have some contemporary writers on them, and these two were the most known I guess. Pelevin probably is the only contemp. Russian writer I'm aware of I guess besides maybe Dovlatov that I've found about just recently bc of the movie

>american """"literature""""
LMAO, Americans have literally never written anything worth shit

>USA
>Nation
Let's assume it is and let's accept that Russia has better literature.

Milton and Shakespeare are good but to carry the whole country?

Germany has the incredible boring Goethe and who else?

France? Do they even have any world famous authors?

Spain? Don Quixote and thats it

Russia. Carried by two authors which isn't good enough

Ireland has Joyce which isn't enough.

I'm sorry but the United States of America has Faulkner, Nabokov, Melville, McCarthy, Pynchon, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Hemmmingway Salinger, Gaddis,, etc etc I could go on and on.

don't mention that moribund academic ape in the same breath as shakespeare. say john skelton, he's much better. one of the few really good poets (of any country). and in modern literature: robert graves. has there been a great poet since graves died?
although i should've said britain - ireland has a great poetic history.

>10855961

Attached: 1421596125101.png (625x626, 35K)

>Hemmmingway
how did that happen?

nabokov?

>It's contemporary, so I'm more aware of it and therefore it is the best!!!4!
>I determine what is enough

Europoors BTFO

HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER

Attached: tenor.gif (220x165, 661K)

Uganda.

>
>Milton and Shakespeare are good but to carry the whole country?
Shakespeare is enough to carry the world.

quite right

What is it about Russians that makes them good writers?

they're a people of genius, but they're very literal, 'tractor-made', you know. poor people.

American, they have Hart Crane.
>DFW
lol

You're thinking in terms of "cultural impact" and "fame" or "world-famous", not in terms literature.

>France? Do they even have any world famous authors?

Are you kidding?

He's Russian and American, apparently.

Fun fact Tolstoy had a great admiration for Emerson and Thoreau and Dostoyevsky for Poe. This is a neat thread.

Bait

This question is like asking which colour is better: blue or red. It's dumb. Fuck off OP.

How do you feel the best one on your list was born in Russia?

then hemingway is surely spanish

Don't waste your time with Poe, Hemingway, Faulkner, Kerouac, McCarthy, DFW, Nabokov, Pelevin, etc. All trash. The others are cool though.

John Green > Anton Chekhov

Fight me.

Thinly, as we say.

Attached: 16478510.gif (245x301, 83K)

>dont bother with nabokov

just bought lolita... :/

Brits > burgers and slavs

>Language barrier
Just because half of the world knows some English doesn't mean everyone reads English-writing authors in English. Majority of the world reads translations, even if they do know original language, it's simply more convenient

>America is stronger economically
You think Russian literature would be better if Russia was as economically strong and pro-globalist as the US is? I guess it would make some Russian writers more known but I can't see how it would make them better.

Russian lit without a doubt. You should have mentioned Pushkin, Lermontov and Goncharev aswell though

don't listen to people on Veeky Forums (i'm the exception)

I mean, read it and see for yourself. I liked it when I read it but I've come to regard Nabokov as a puffed up, pretentious pervert who probably jerked off to his own writings about that premature Lolita character of his

Gogol, Bulgakov, and Pushkin also

>every notable science fiction writer ever
>implying Lem wasn't slavic

The "you will not survive your fellow man" part is much more typical of USSR nations lit and psych than mere poverty.

lol

Good, it's amazing, that other guy is a fag